close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cold, Hard Cash!

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Glock!9, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Glock!9

Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    How much is too much cash to have in your house?
    where are the best places to secure it? and how?
    I am trying to figure out the best play to keep it safe, yet accessible....
    I do have a safe, but I am assuming that a home invader would force me to open that of he got the drop on me.
    any thoughts?

2. Tough one. I'm pondering the same thing. At my old place, I had a $100 bill stuck behind a painting on the wall. Not really sure what the reason was.

3. gotplastic

gotplastic

Feb 26, 2008
    Someplace close to your exits so you can grab it on the way out if there's a fire or you need to BO. I keep it work important papers, etc.. all together in a small fireproof box that is well hidden but convenient to access.

4. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    All posters to this thread, please leave your home address and time of day you're not at home.

5. SilverCity

SilverCity

Mar 9, 2007
    The Old West
    If a home invader gets the drop on you, you have much more to worry about than losing some cash...:shocked:

Keep the cash elsewhere, like in a "stash can" under the kitchen sink.

SC

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Jan 24, 2004
    I am thinking 1 or 2 trillion dollars to use to pay off the creditors.

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Northwest
    Washington D.C., District of Columbia 20500

7. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    On a more serious note.

1. Any money you have in hand is money that is not working for you. Additionally your home owners insurance will only pay for so much lost cash.
    2. If you don't have cash, there are times when you will not be able to do things.
    There needs to be a balance between 1 and 2.

Where to put the cash?
    You have a couple options.
    1. Hidden in plain sight. If you have a container that looks like something else, no one will bother it.
    2. Hidden where no one will see it.

And of course, dead men tell no tails. If anyone knows what you have, you have to assume that everyone knows what you have.

8. Glock!9

Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    so there is no way anyone could ever get the drop on you? really? shower, sleeping?

9. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    I didn't read that the way you did.

I read it as "If home invaders get the drop on me, I am more worried about getting killed.

10. Glock!9

Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    oh maybe your right lol....

11. Carry16

Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    I suggest one of those small Sentry fireproof security boxes you can buy at Wal-mart for about $40, inside your fireproof gun cabinet. I feel pretty confident that even a bad fire will not get to my cash. A home invader is either going to die, or I will, so I'm not concerned with them making me open the safe.

12. dcc12

dcc12

Nov 30, 2010
    Cash in Firesafe= peace of mind
    Cash in Firesafe in floor of gunsafe = secured peice of mind
    Amount of Cash in Firesafe located in floor of gunsafe =No more than insurance will cover but enough to get by for a few months.= secure peice of mind.
    Enough ammo to barter/hunt/defend for a year in another safe= priceless.

13. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Hedge your bets.

Several locations in the house.

Safe deposit box at the bank.

Wallet stash.

etc

14. UneasyRider

UneasyRider C.D.B.

Dec 1, 2005
  15. Will-21

Will-21

Sep 17, 2007
    Southern Nevada
    Under $500.00 in $20.00 bills and smaller.

Some here, some there, gun safe, pantry, taped behind washing machine, under coffee table.

16. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    I keep $100 in $5 bills in each of our cars (buried as deep as I can get them in a car) and another couple of hundred in the house, again in $5s and $10s. So I guess I could lay my hands on maybe $500 in small bills.

The small bills are for making last minute grocery purchases, immediately post-fan, when no change will be given due to nonfunctional registers. Or possibly for gas purchases...I could spurge the $100 on a partial tank of gas...?

17. smokeross

smokeross GTDS Member #49

May 15, 2011
    Alaska
    I bury mine in the back yard in plastic bottles so it won't be found with a metal detector. Sure is tough to dig up at minus 20 degrees though in January.

18. gosnmic

gosnmic Re:member

Aug 27, 2004
    Missouri
    Wait - do you hide things in public spaces (see ISBN 1-893626-46-6) (Wish I had an Amazon seller link to make $ off your purchases :p) ?!?! I just try to hide cash in my wallet but I can't seem to hide more than about $20-$40 at a time before it gets spent :rofl:

19. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    IMO I think the best way to hide cash is put it in a small fire resistant safe and hide it in your basement amongst the other junk you store there. I read somewhere that the fire and heat most likely will be more contained to the upper floors. Whether thats true or not...who knows.