close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

cobverting a 40 Hi-Power to a 9mm

Discussion in 'The Browning Hi Power Club' started by jimsfinns, Nov 30, 2010.

1. To all, I have a VERY lightly used .40 that I am thinking of sending to C&S for their conversion to 9mm. I'm just not a fan of the .40 and I like the handling characteristics of the beefed up slide. Does anyone have any experience or input with the conversion? Is there anyone else that I should consider sending it to? all comments will be appreciated.

2. Ermac

Ermac

Mar 21, 2010
    Just sell it or trade it for a HP in 9mm. It will be less headache.

3. Brian Dover

Brian Dover

Jul 31, 2002
    SW Ohio
    Novak's also does that conversion, as memory serves.

4. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    just buy a conversion barrel (EFK) and buy some 9mm mags and you are good to go. The barrel has to have the 3 locking lugs to work in the 40 slide

5. Timbonez

Timbonez

Dec 25, 2010
    Just realize that the breechface was designed for the. 40 S&W. It is slightly larger than 9mm and could cause some erratic function problems. I'm not saying it will happen, and I can't say to what frequency it could happen, but it's just something to be cognizant about.

6. LarryNC

LarryNC Millennium Member

Dec 27, 1999
    NC
    I would feel perfectly comfortable sending any gun to C&S. Someone else mentioned Novak's. Both of those are top notch and both are world renowned for their work on the BHP. To the best of my recollection, when the FBI hostage rescue team used the HP, they were all built by Wayne Novak and his crew.

My first Hi Power was a .40 and I did not care for it either. I loved my friend's 9-mm HP, but the .40 just wasn't for me. I found one load that was comfortable to shoot in that .40 HP, but the other loads I tried in it were just horrible as far as recoil and bite. I know there are a lot of folks out there who love the .40 HP, and I'm not wanting to start a fight, but that gun, in my honest opinion, was built from the beginning to be a 9-mm and they should have left it that way. The last time I looked at the Browning website I noticed that they were only offering the HP in 9-mm.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  7. MXGoBig

MXGoBig

Aug 18, 2010
    Ohio
    The 40 Hi Powers are perfect for 357 SIG!
    I love mine!

8. ca survivor

ca survivor

Dec 25, 2011
    Florida
    as much a I like the .40 S&W, can't warm up to a HI-Power in .40

9. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A sequestered!

why not go 10MM? magwell is probbaly to small tho

10. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    he wants to shoot it, not wear it :supergrin:

11. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    10mm in anything less than a howitzer is risky.....:rofl:

12. Alizard

Alizard

Apr 5, 2012
    +1 That's all you need.

13. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

C&S has a good reputation and can verify your Hi Power is running right, giving you some peace of mind. FWIW, I like the idea of being able to run both rounds out of the same pistol. Sig & Glock does the same with 40S&W and 357Sig in their pistols too.

14. tjpet

tjpet

May 14, 2001
    Utah-Idaho border
    I've got a stock .40 BHP with a trigger job by Don Williams (The Action Works) that has both .357Sig and 9mm conversion barrels. A great shooting platform for all three. The C barrels are simple drop-ins and function 100%.