close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Coax "Cable" Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WiskyT, Mar 10, 2013.

1. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

Let's put it this way, I haven't seen screw-on connectors in any kind of professional or even semi-professional environment. I don't think they are inherently "easier" either. But they do have the advantage of being reusable and not requiring special tools.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I don't doubt it. Mine is a test mule at this point. Crappy big box twist on + total weather exposure=X.

It's kind of hard to argue with your idiot proof pictographs for the compression type. I wonder if anyone sells small bags, like one or two, of the compression connectors.

3. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams
    Expand Collapse

I think RadioShack sells them in 5-packs.

If you decide to go with a non-weatherproof connector, here are ways to weatherize it...

- Self-fusing rubber tape: best.
    - Regular electrical tape: not so good, but it helps.
    - Silicone: works well, but a bit messy and hard to remove.

#23 CitizenOfDreams, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

I used silicone grease, not RTV sealer, so removal shouldn't be an issue. I don't know how well it will work, but it was reccomended by the dude who was professing the virtues of the twist-on connectors.

I don't have any self-fusing tape, and I figure a roll will probably cost as much as the connectors at RS. I might wrap some regular black tape around it since I have some of that to hold things over while I get the compression type.

The buss bar thingy that the connector connects to has a rubber washer that butts up against the mouth of the connector that I ASSume keeps the weather from getting in that way.

5. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

Outside weather connections:
    For lots of years I have used ignition silicon grease for cars (insulator for moisture on spark plug wiring) on my company outside R.F. electronics. Tubes at a car store.

Just assemble your connector as usual (I prefer the Good RG6 crimp ones, and then squirt a gob of silicon grease the size to fill the open end of the male connector and assemble to the female with a wrench to tighten.

We use this technique up to 10 GHz and have excellent results over many years.

When you try to seal a connector you will accumulate moisture inside the sealed connector when the temperature goes below dew point.

You will never have a gas tight seal with tape. That is why better systems at high frequencies back-fill with Nitrogen dry gas to keep out moisture. The grease makes it impervious to moisture.

Also the dielectric constant for this grease is so low it doesn't foul up the impedance matching. Little loss.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Good info, thanks!