close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Coating Question...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by TKR Reptiles, Feb 8, 2011.

1. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I am sure there are 50 million threads like this, but I was too lazy to look... lol...

Well I am having my CDP re-coated and have decided to go with a Cerakote... Is the Cerakote pretty durable? The smith told me it was a lot better than armorcoat and the KimPro coat...

2. youngAR

youngAR

Dec 4, 2010
    DFW, TX
    Cerakote is one of the stronger spray on finishes. What colors are you having done?

3. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    It's not tougher than Armor-tuff if that's what you mean. Usually good enough for most people's needs unless you do a bunch of holster presentations from kydex. It all depends on who does it on the quality so I'd recommend Mike Cywrus from accurate-iron, he's in your neck of the woods.

4. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    if it's carbon steel, parkerize it before Cerakote.

5. TKR Reptiles

TKR Reptiles Thread Killer

Oct 19, 2010
    Norman, OK
    I am having my CDP done all black

That is who I am going to have do all my work... Having my CDP Pro bobbed, re-coated all black, and having the barrel flush crowned...

It's on my CDP, so I don't know if it is or not... I am kind of ignorant when you get into that...

6. awpk03s

awpk03s

Apr 1, 2007
    Ohio
    Holster presentations will wear Cerakote fairly quickly if that bothers you.
    Personally I prefer IonBond, Melonite, or even hard Chrome.

7. youngAR

youngAR

Dec 4, 2010
    DFW, TX
    This. But I do believe all of these options are a no-go for the aluminum frame, but I may be wrong.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  8. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    if the frame is anodized, you can coat over it