close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CNN mistakenly helps police by doing this story

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Snowman92D, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
  2. wprebeck

wprebeck Got quacks?

Oct 20, 2002
    Mm..looks like heaven
    :holysheep:

Makes one wonder if they've advance word of the story - and are quietly trying to turn their narrative around so that is matches reality a bit more than the "Racist cop guns down unarmed teenager who was just turning his life around" spiel.

3. Vicarious Reality

Vicarious Reality

Oct 29, 2013
    That, or someone just got fired at CNN, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

4. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I think they hedging their bets. If photos of Wilson look like he got his face stepped on by an elephant it is going to be hard to spin it.

5. Mahalo_.32

Mahalo_.32 Patriot

Oct 3, 2009
    The Desert
    21' is not that far once you account for reaction time.

6. That is very true.

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    What is with the distance in their demo? I am watching wioth the sound off, but it looked like they were demonstrating the "21 FOOT rule" at 21 YARDS.

I will say, the "21 foot rule" is nonsense and should be the "21 yard rule".

The first police shooting lawsuit I ever defended, 3 police officers were standing side by side with guns pointed at the bad guy/nut, who had a knife. The investigation and officers said they were moving back and forth with him to maintain the 21 feet they had been taught. Their guns were in hand and pointed at him, ready to fire. When he ran at them, after 13 minutes of negotiation, all 3 fired while backing away. 2 were firing 10mm and one was firing a .40 S&W. 8 out of 10 rounds hit the nut. 1 round hit the center of his forehead. Another hit the inside corner of his eye at the bridge of his nose. When he hit the ground it looked like he had fallen face-down in a hole, because the bones in his skull were so broken that his face flatttened against the street.

With all of that, he had still crossed the line where the officers were standing when he started his charge, estimated to be at least 21 feet from him. If they had not backed away while firing, he likely could have stabbed somebody.

So, anyhow, I believe that, in real life against a real attacker with a knife, claiming 21 feet is the dividing line for drawing from the holster is ridiculous. 21 feet won't even save you with your gun on target and finger on the trigger (and 2 other guys with guns helping you). 21 YARDS against a drawn gun might be safe. 21 YARDS with a holstered gun is already pretty risky, in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Back in the 80's/90's when I was an officer, that was something we were just learning about and everybody said "B&&& s&&&, a knife can't beat me at 21 feet."

So then somebody would get an inkpen or a ruler and the other guy would unload (yes, we did it with real guns) and they'd try it.

I don't think I ever saw one guy with a holstered gun beat the guy with the pretend knife and that's just for getting the first shot off - it doesn't even account for the numerous shots it OFTEN takes to stop an attack.