close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CNBC Poll: Are Many Americans Too Dependent on Government?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by 10P8TRIOT, Sep 18, 2012.

1. 10P8TRIOT

10P8TRIOT

CNBC Poll: GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney told a fundraising event earlier this year that “there are 47 percent who are with him (Obama), who are dependent upon the government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to take care of them.”

Do You Agree?

Currently 75% Yes with 33344 votes

Vote Now!

2. moeman

moeman

Why dont we just tell the greatest generation: those who won WW2, saved Korea, built the US infrastructure to go cry a river. This is America damn it! Screw your SS and Medicare. Come on other people from 3rd world countries aren't such whiners.

Sincerely,

The let Grandma starve in pain society

3. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

:upeyes::upeyes::upeyes::upeyes:

4. LawScholar

LawScholar

Not all government aid is created equal. I an just fine with Social Security and Medicare. I believe the systems that shouldn't exist or should exist at a greatly reduced level are welfare and unemployment.

Oh, and the Greatest Generation were champions of sacrifice. They did what needed done. If we refuse to do what needs done, and let our debt continue to spiral out of control, we'll destroy the country they fought for.

5. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

With endless Unemployment and Food Stamps......why work? That is the problem. Social Security has also been robbed by those who have not paid in and raided by the Fed with an IOU.....maybe.

6. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Really liking the outcome of that poll thus far.

7. kensb2

kensb2 pistol n00b

Up to 77% Agree, over 47k votes! Let's hope this rings true at the polls in November, too!

8. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

No kidding.

That's what I'm hoping for too!

9. mhill

mhill

I voted no. I don't think there are anywhere near 47% that are dependent on the .gov. There may be a 10-12% that are. I don't count the SS recipiants or the Medicare recipiant. Those folks are just trying to get by. However Medicare and SS both need drastic reforms.

How do I fix it.
    Since SS is just a tax I make everyone pay on all amounts past the cap of 100K or whatever it is now.
    I bump the retirement age up a couple of years.
    Medicare I start charging 20% to all for drugs and all care excluding preventive care. I make it illegal to get an insurance policy to cover the 20% so you have to pay it out of pocket up to some cap of 10K. Need to slow down the old folks that go to the doc everytime they get a minor ache.

That would be a good start.

10. NeverMore1701

Some people's mothers just drank too much during pregnancy. It's not their fault.

11. wjv

wjv

If you pay ZERO or LESS in taxes, you are dependent on the government.

If you get back MORE than you PAY in taxes, you are dependent on the government.

12. aspartz

aspartz

The problem is the system. It is a fixed benefit plan rather than a defined contribution plan. Most retirees burn through what they have paid in over the years (including interest) in 3-5 years of retirement. This is a classic ponzi scheme.

Do you also favor removing the cap on benefits, or do you think that successful people need to subsidize other people?
    The retirement age should not be defined. Each year the system calculated how many more people it can afford to support, and the age is calculated based on that. I would agree that no one should get kicked off if the number was negative.
    Hospitals and EMS should be allowed to bill people directly for all claims that were deemed medically unnecessary. The Ambulance has to haul granny for any minor complaint. If MC/MA refuses the bill, the service in on the hook, not granny. Ask anyone on the front lines of EMS how frequently this happens.

Nor is it my fault.

ARS

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  13. ERASER

ERASER Nyuk,Nyuk,Nyuk!

Do you agree with Romney's statement?
    Yes
    76%76%No
    22%22%Not Sure
    2%2%
    Total Votes: 48390
    Not a Scientific Survey

14. devildog2067

devildog2067

The math says that welfare and unemployment don't matter. We spend about $100 billion per year on direct welfare payments, and roughly the same amount on unemployment benefits. We spend 5x as much on Medicare and 8x as much on Social Security.

You can't be "just fine" with Social Security and Medicare unless you're also "just fine" with the US being bankrupt. We have to change these programs. They represent huge unfunded mandates. We could eliminate welfare, food stamps, unemployment, NASA, whatever else you think the government wastes money on, and we still wouldn't come close to saving the amount that we spend every year on Social Security.

It's like if a person is having financial troubles and they say "well, I'll cut my cable bill down by $20, and I'll cancel texting on my cell phone which will save me $10, and I'll stop going to the gym and cook all my meals at home and I'll save $200 a month." Great, good for you, and yes every little bit counts, but if your mortgage payment is $10k a month saving $200 doesn't matter. It doesn't move the needle. You need to cut spending starting with the big items.

15. devildog2067

devildog2067

I have a friend in Switzerland who just lost his job as a physicist.

His unemployment is 70% of his salary, and it lasts for several years.

He's not trying very hard to find a job.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

That's not what he was saying.

He was talking about tax liability.

47% of American households do not owe any federal taxes. They get taxes withheld from their checks, sure, but come April they get it all back as a refund. Not only that, some of them get back what they paid plus some.

Those were the people Romney was talking about.

[​IMG]

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

I will hold my nose and vote for him, but I wish he would shut the hell up about social issues. Not everyone who believes that the nation needs to be fiscally responsible also believes that gay marriage will destroy the universe.

18. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller

After the election is over, whoever is President will have to push for Draconian reforms or the USA will be in a threatened position that may not be reversible. The political party that leads us to financial devastation will be branded for decades. All we can do is fight for Romney and hope he's smart enough to chart a course towards recovery.

19. Carrys

Carrys Inquisitive

Careful now, those who get that check every month and feel all highly patriotic and feel justified because they paid in $.25 many years ago may get mad my man.

Everyone feels justified to get their "free stuff", just ask 'em.

I agree with ya, but as you and I both know.................people will not work hard(er), sacrifice for something they want(or feel they deserve), nor give up on anything they like ..............................end of story for a lot of folks.

Most folks aren't ready to work hard to make their Country strong again, they did it once and they just want to be lazy now. And kept up by someone else.

20. NeverMore1701

Dozens of times a day, even in our fairly small city. Ain't just granny though.