Discussion in 'Reloading' started by CaptainXL, Nov 1, 2012.

1. I have someone that wants to sell some MG CMJ 124 Gr 9mm pretty cheap.

I have never loaded any CMJ but assume that I can use my favorite 124 Gr FMJ load safely. Am I correct in assuming that I would reload just the same as if they were FMJ?

What is the difference between CMJ and FMJ? I think that I read somewhere a while back that the base is different. Is the base fully encapsulated?

What, if any, are the advantages of CMJ compared to FMJ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

CMJ just as you stated fully encapsulated, FMJ has an exposed lead base.

Advantage of CMJ loads is less smoke and chance of lead exposure.

3. Right now I am using MG bullets exclusively; among them 147 CMJ and 230 CMJ. I have had great performance as for as accuracy, and (with my VV powder), no smoke. I've popped a few of the 230s out of the sandy berm and I think I can buff them out and re-use them. (Just kidding... but except for some minor serrations, they look pretty good.)
  4. CMJ don't lead the compensator like FMJ can.
  5. shotgunred

shotgunred reloading nut

The indoor range I go to in the winter requires CMJ's.
  6. No one has answered my question regarding reloading CMJ.

Are they loaded the same as FMJ?

Should/can I use my favorite FMJ loading in CMJ?

I assume so but want to make sure.
  7. Like everything else in reloading, the answer is probably 'maybe'.

I don't load anywhere near max so I would just use the same recipe. If I were truly concerned, I would back the load off a couple of tenths of a grain and work back up.

I have used some CMJ in 9mm and I don't recall doing anything special.

8. Hoser

Hoser Ninja

Same same.

You are good to go.

I load 230 and 115 CMJs with the same powder charge as normal. No difference.

9. I don't load near max either and therefore will use my normal favorite load and watch for any abnormal signs.

Thanks for the input.
  10. Like Hoser, we have tested the difference between CMJ and FMJ in 9mm. They work the same.