close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Close Fitting OWB vs IWB Carry?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Restless28, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

I love my Walther PPS. I have carried it in a Desantis IWB leather holster, but I'm still not comfortable sitting. With fall coming, I'm thinking that a close fitting OWB holster may be an option.

Got any suggestions?

Do you prefer OWB to IWB?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

I prefer the IWB, as its the most concealable, and for me, the most comfortable.

OWB is OK, I just diont find it as stable, and you have to watch how you move to keep it out of sight.

3. FFR Spyder GT

FFR Spyder GT
    Expand Collapse
    Ex-Gunslinger

OWB

I cannot imagine why anyone would IWB carry.

I've been carrying for over 30 years and have tried every way possible and still end up OWB.

Go to a LGS that has a decent selection of holsters and try them on until you find the one that you like.

For myself it was an easy choice....... Glock pistol = Glock holster.

I even use the larger holster for my Taurus PT845.

4. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I prefer OWB holsters. I usually use 518 series paddle holsters for Glock, Walther PPK, etc. or a Blade Tech kydex.

OWB is much much more comfortable, so I only use IWB if I really need it to conceal.

In summer I prefer a Safariland 518 with a Hawaiian shirt over it. The big bright pattern of the shirt also helps concealment, by fooling the eye so the outline of the gun isn't noticeable. It's much easier to conceal udner a patterned shirt than a solid color and it also makes you not look like a ninja who is probably carrying a gun, like safari and hunring style shirts do.

#4 Bren, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  5. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, those cheap Glock holsters keep it close. That's the type of close that I want.

ETA: Fnfalman posted up a pic of his OWB carry method recently. I thought that looked comfortable.

#5 Restless28, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  6. SigFTW

SigFTW
    Expand Collapse

I carry IWB with full size and compact, never had had a problem and very comfortable. You just need paints that are not too tight.

7. ratf51

ratf51
    Expand Collapse

I prefer OWB and am a fan of Raven Concealment holsters with the pancake wings.

8. glock2740

glock2740
    Expand Collapse
    Gun lover.

9. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

I can hardly believe that a full size Glock could be hidden without a coat. I'm 5'5" 160, and I couldn't imagine hiding one IWB.

10. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

Im 5'6", 170, and carry carry a 17 that way every day (I usually carry a back up and a reload too), and yes, its easy to even conceal it with just a light shirt over it. Ive been carrying full sized handguns this way daily, since the early 70's. Back then, you didnt have many choices, today, if you cant find a decent holster that works for you, you might as well give up.

IWB takes a little getting used to, but once you do, I seriously doubt you'll carry any other way. You do need to find a holster that works for you, and you do need to find the "sweet spot", and let your body adjust to it being there, which really doesnt take long. For me, the sweet spot is right at 4:30, where the gun snugs into that nook behind your hip, where you arm naturally hangs, and clothing naturally hangs over it.

I dont wear pants a size up, simply because it isnt necessary, and the larger sizes dont look like they fit (they just dont make the waist bigger). Your normal size pants may feel slightly snug when you first insert the holster, or put your pants on with the gun in them, but they quickly "give", and you dont notice that the holster is there at all. The advantage to them not being loose is, they help hold the gun in place even more, and there is very little movement.

The biggest advantage to IWB is, most of the gun and holster, are concealed inside your pants. Nothing shows below your belt, so even with a short jacket on, you can usually reach over your head, or squat down without giving anything up. Even without a cover garment, most people dont notice the gun, and its easy to keep it out of sight with just body orientation.

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

I've seen it done with a t-shirt one size too big with TWO Glock 22s both IWB, or a pair of Beretta 92s IWB.

It can be done, if you have the right build and right clothes. The friend I saw make the twin 22s disappear like Copperfield is about six feet even and 160 pounds.

12. chr_edw

chr_edw
    Expand Collapse
    Holster Maker

I carry IWB but would consider OWB for in the fall when i'm not wearing mostly t-shirts. IWB doesn't bother me when out and about but OWB would defenitly be more comfortable around the house ( also work from home ).

your comfort and your ability to conceal will greatly depend on your holster and shirt choice. Not sure about for your gun but I would take a look at the raven concealment type holsters that will have it ride somewhat high and held in tight.

13. tedwhite

tedwhite
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

My problem - as an ex-cop - carrying IWB was that I had a hell of a time getting the weapon back into the holster once I drew it, so I switched to OWB and the re-holstering problem went away. Some people have no trouble with IWB, but I did. I'm 5'9" and 155, so maybe heavier, thicker torsos won't have the problem I had.

14. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

15. ak103k

ak103k
    Expand Collapse

That sounds like a holster issue. Most, if not all of the newer, better make holsters have a reinforced mouth, so the holster doesnt collapse when the gun is drawn. Reholstering normally isnt an issue with them.

16. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

Definitely a holster issue. A good iwb holster will retain it's shape, and makes reholstering just as easy as with an owb holster.

17. Restless28

Restless28
    Expand Collapse

It's a Walther PPS. I will look into the Raven holsters, but I will carry OWB in cooler weather. Got any suggestions?

18. JBUS

JBUS
    Expand Collapse
    I'mHellaJelly!

Try Off The Grid Concepts.

19. ZO6Vettever

ZO6Vettever
    Expand Collapse

Hardly ever carry IWB anymore. When I do I use a Remora. OWB is so much more comfy. "T" shirt a size up and all is well. I use a homemade hybrid that I molded to pull it tight to my body and keep the grip, heavy as a double stack 45 is from flopping away from my body. Works great.

20. mrt949

mrt949
    Expand Collapse

Galco triton iwb at .5 ' 6'' 320 LB. EVERYTHING HIDES .LOL.