close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clips or Straps?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Gixene, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Gixene

Gixene

Feb 21, 2012
    I really hope I'm making the right decision for my first holster...I have no experience when it comes to buying holsters. In a earlier post I asked for recommendations and boy did I get it. First on the line I choose to fork out 170 big ones for the High Noon Down Under which can be seen here...

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Pro...ips_Alligator/down_under_clips_alligator.html

One question I forgot to ask is...which is better, clips or straps? Because it's offered in both.

When your inexperienced in buying holsters it's a real shot in the dark, but don't you worry. I've got my bag or drawer ready. I'll be buying another IWB holster from another company (holster not yet determined) after a month with this one. There are some others I'd like to try and I've come to the realization that it's just trail and error. If you don't like that holster, don't get it from the co. again...

I originally wanted to get the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2, though I currently don't have a IWB holster, so waiting 20+ weeks is not an option at the moment. This holster is for my Glock 26.

Thanks for your feedback, Gulley

2. Michael9418

Michael9418

Jan 27, 2012
    I like this fairly new but feels good!![​IMG]

If you view life at 50 the same way you did at 25 you have wasted 25 years of your life. Mohammad Ali

3. Gixene

Gixene

Feb 21, 2012
    Nice holster! I think they will be the next one I try out.

4. SCC

SCC Member Me

Jun 10, 2007
    kennesaw GA.
  5. Gixene

Gixene

Feb 21, 2012
    Haha, any reason or just because you say so?

6. pokey074

pokey074 The F.O. Man

Oct 2, 2001
    South Dakota
    There's no better or worse, it's just personal preference. I prefer clips as they're lower profile. Most of the loops I've seen either stick out to far or are made of a rubbery material that seems like it would grab your shirt.

7. lyodbraun

lyodbraun

Jan 3, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Thats alot of money for such a cheapy looking holster, you could get a much better one IMO for alot less, that just dont look like It is that great, for the price...

8. Golddog

Golddog

Nov 26, 2003
    Parkton, MD
    Why do the looks of an IWB matter? Nobody sees it anyway. Comfort, concealability, safety, and ease of holstering and reholstering ought to trump aesthetics in an IWB.

9. $170 is way too much for that holster. Even with the alligator trim, it's way too much. Just get an IWB with a reinforced mouth. As someone noted, it's an IWB. No body should be seeing how pretty it is.

As for metal clip or leather loop (strap), definitely loop.

With loop, you holster will never come out of your pants either accidently or when you draw your gun.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  10. And if you're getting a IWB for a G26, consider getting the holster sized for a G19. A G19 holster fits a G26 gun, but not visa versa.

If you ever decide to purchase and CCW a G19, the holster will still fit. It'll be 1/2-inch longer at the barrel end, but as an IWB, no one will see. And you'll notice that extra 1/2 inch makes the entire holster more stable while carried.

And saves some money on an extra holster too.

11. DesertEagle

DesertEagle OH HELL MY HEAD CLM

May 31, 2001
    Rome Ga
    I have just the regular down under for my 23, it's the only holster I've had for about 10 years. Now mine was a gift from a fellow GTer in my local area who I ended up meeting with and befriending years back. That said, I have not seen the need to get a new holster till just recently - and that more for variety and the ability to expand my carry options, not due to any issues with the Down Under. Holster has held up fine (albeit it far from EDC). I also vote for straps, more secure than clips.

Does seem like their prices have gone up in the last year. I seem to remember before christmas looking at their site and a regular was around $65 or $75, rather than $99.95, but I could very well be mistaken.

12. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Mother of god. Buy a holster with two loops or straps. It will perform better all around. And for goodness sake, run from that particular holster. It's a $40.00 holster at a double-custom-gunleather price. Clips or straps, as long as they go on the belt, both work fine.

13. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    That is quite possibly the MOST OBSCENLY OVERPRICE holster of all time.

As for strap vs. clip, straps (with one-way or Pull-the-Dot snaps) are more secure.

14. Gixene

Gixene

Feb 21, 2012
  15. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
  16. Gixene

Gixene

Feb 21, 2012
    I agree! I didn't want to fork out that much in the first place. I really wanted the Milt Sparks. A friend gave me the link. So I will now get what I want!

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    Clips. I have have loops come apart on me more then once. When bending down, or crawling under a desk, or some other strange movements. I have also had them stretch out & not stay securely on the belt.

18. The photo looks like the cant angle is the 15-degrees/FBI cant. And it doesn't look like it's adjustable. If that cant angle works for you, then go for it.

19. valian

valian

Oct 18, 2003
    US
    The clip on Fist holsters has an added hook in the center that prevents it from ever slipping over my belt. If you are thinking of clip for the convenience i recommend Fist holsters or any other holster using this style of clip

20. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for a full size 1911. It is a fabulous holster. No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. That being said, my last 3 carry holsters, have been Comptac Infidels. They all have the clip. At about half the price of the Milt Sparks, all I can say is, my carry weapon might change, but my holster won't! It will be a Comptac Infidel!!!!!!!!!!!