close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Clipdraw legal in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by smittyG27, Mar 18, 2007.

1. smittyG27

smittyG27

Feb 15, 2007
    OHIO
    Would a clipdraw be legal to use in ohio? Or do we have to use a holster.

The way I read everything, the gun would have to be in a holster.

Thanks.

2. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Mar 6, 2004
    SW Ohio
    I have wondered the same thing. I am considering getting a clip for my KelTec P40.

3. firedog978

firedog978

Nov 12, 2004
    Cincinnati
    I do have a belt clip on a KelTec P-32 (it fits pocket holster with it on).

[​IMG]

But Ohio law states IT MUST BE IN A HOLSTER.
    So, when carrying the gun in Ohio you must use a holster.

4. Ol' 12-toes

Ol' 12-toes

Apr 18, 2004
    Ohio
    TTBOMK -

the clipdraw would be legal if you were not in or an a motor vehicle.

5. glockman513

glockman513 CCW Instructor

Sep 25, 2006
    SW OH / NKY
    But the law doesn't specifically define what a holster is, nor the requirement for a retention strap. With this lack of a specific definition, why couldn't you use your waistband as a holster.

6. firedog978

firedog978

Nov 12, 2004
    Cincinnati
    As stated above; if you are not in a vehicle you can use a clip. You're only required to have it in a holster (per the Ohio AG laws on concealed carry), if you are in a vehicle and carrying concealed. And, there is no mention of a retention strap being necessary for said holster.

I didn't mean to cause confusion. The only time a holster is mentioned as necessary while carrying concealed is if in a vehicle and it's on your person. According to the Ohio AG website on concealed carry, there is no other time stated as having to have a weapon holstered.

Go here: http://www.ag.state.oh.us/spotlight/ccw.asp

7. Ol' 12-toes

Ol' 12-toes

Apr 18, 2004
    Ohio
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    But the law doesn't specifically define what a holster is, nor the requirement for a retention strap. With this lack of a specific definition, why couldn't you use your waistband as a holster.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Please, Lord, deliver us from Philadelphia lawyers -

If a manufacturer calls something that he makes a 'holster,' a case can be made that it is legal for motor vehicle carry -

Granted that some articles of apparel are provided with features intended to hold a gun, how many trouser manufacturers call their waistbands 'holsters?'

8. (Definition: Holster - a holder for carrying a handgun or other firearm) I use a Clipdraw exclusively on my PM9 and my G26, in both 12:00 and 4:30 positions. Very comfortable and very secure. It is my understanding that they quilify as holsters but like everything else on here, opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one . . .

9. Dave Williams

Dave Williams Millennium Member

Feb 13, 1999
    Euclid,OH,USA
    In the CCW class I co-instruct I tell the students re the clip draw: "don't be the test case". The law is just too unspecific.

Roadking522, doesn't having the 26 make you nervous IWB with no covering on the trigger guard?

Dave Williams

10. Hi Dave. No - not a bit. I've read all the possible "cons" about so doing, but simply can't imagine my clothing binding enough to pull that trigger. I just don't know how it could happen and frankly, think it's paranoia to believe it possible. (but of course - that's just me) To "accidently" fire a Glock or Kahr is, well, really really hard. Obviously, we all have our own "comfort" zone but I am quite comfortable with the set up and have carried daily in this fashion for years.

11. Dave Williams

Dave Williams Millennium Member

Feb 13, 1999
    Euclid,OH,USA
    Roadking522,

Thanks for the reply. I know several guys who carry IWB with Glocks with no holster, and a relative of mine uses the clipdraw with his G33 and he really likes it. You are right, it is a comfort zone issue.

Dave Williams

12. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Dec 28, 2005
    In flyover country
    That's what my CCW instructor said too!

13. thorn137

thorn137 Walther

Jan 8, 2006
    Tallahassee, FL
    It's not a holster, it's a clip. Just as a lanyard isn't a holster.

thorn

14. anyplainjoe

anyplainjoe Nobody special.

Dec 28, 2005
    In flyover country
    That CCW class was the wisest $150 I've spent. Well, it was the wife's Christmas gift to me, but I'm sure you guys get the point!