close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Cleaning the AR Bolt

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by wdphillips, Nov 27, 2011.

1. wdphillips

wdphillips
    Expand Collapse

I was cleaning my son-in-law’s Bushmaster bolt carrier assembly last night. I am not sure it has ever been apart. There is a lot of hard built up fowling on the bolt, just behind the gas rings. I also noted that the inside of the carrier where the bolt seats has similar fowling. This stuff is hard and crusty!

What is the best way to clean this stuff off?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

Slip 2000 carbon killer may work on it. Its hard when they get neglected for that long. Some build up is ok, there not going to stay pristine. I read somewhere of a solution somebody made for this kind of stuff. Get a tupperware tub- fill it a couple inches high with half odorless mineral spirits and half liquid breakfree CLP, then let the parts soak in the solution.

#2 bmoore, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  3. MAJINKONG

MAJINKONG
    Expand Collapse

Try this.

Use toothbrush and scrap it further.

[​IMG]

4. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I use some Motorcraft Carburetor Cleaner. I immerse the bolt and let it
    soak overnight.

5. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt
    Expand Collapse

For the tail of the bolt, simply use the open end of a cleaning rod like a scraper and go around that area to break off the large chunks then use an old bore brush to polish away the rest of it.
    As for the inside of the bolt carrier on that shelf, one trick is to use old dental picks to scrape away those deposits. Myself, I use a trick I learned in the Marines of using a large patch soaked with CLP laid over the hole on the bolt carrier. Then I use a stripper clip to push that patch down while twisting against the bottom of that hole so the patch and clip are against that shelf. Keep doing that like you are cleaning the barrel (wet patch, dry patch, wet patch, dry patch, etc.) until they come out clean. Not sure how well that is going to work since it sounds like your son-in-law really let things go but if you do this on a routine basis, it's not a problem getting that carbon out.

6. thunderbat

thunderbat
    Expand Collapse

You may need to actually scrape the crud off as well, they make them specially designed for the AR bolt and carrier.

7. USMC03Grunt

USMC03Grunt
    Expand Collapse

Then again, has your son in law ever shown any interest in an AK? If he's not into doing maintainence to keep things working correctly, he might want to consider the peasant gun that is more forgiving of neglect.:whistling:

8. wdphillips

wdphillips
    Expand Collapse

Good point! But he is an F-16 pilot, he gets to shoot the big guns. I get to keep and clean the small ones while he is gone.

9. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Then he needs to be *****slapped, because I know for sure he doesn't maintain that M61 20mm either.

10. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

:rofl:

11. pag23

pag23
    Expand Collapse

Ouch Mr Murphy.. that what the ground crew is for.. :)

Even though I don't shoot my guns all the time, I make sure to clean them at least every other trip to the range if not the same day... ( I don't like dirty weapons) My glock gets a cleaning every other range trip..

I have been tempted to get the Berryman B12 parts cleaner gallon and soak the BCG items in it if I get a heavy build up if I want to spend all day at the range.

For cleaning, I use the Mpro7 kit from Brownells in addition to an old nylon firm toothbrush (replaced yearly) a little TW25, and CLP. The bolt does get a bit of build up on it so I would recommend a good lube to keep it managable. Haven't got a change to order Slip 2000 yet.....

12. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

wdphillips

Sounds like he needs to run the gun wet! I do and all I have to do is wipe the BCG down and relube and it's done. No matter how many rounds I put through it. Encrusted carbon shows the gun was run dry or with improper lube! I use 5w30 motor oil and the carbon doesn't build up at all! Tell your Son thanks for his service from a Retired Egress guy! He'll get it as he sits on my system every flight! ACES II !:supergrin:

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Naw,.....that's why Crew Chiefs have weapons pukes! :tongueout:

14. wdphillips

wdphillips
    Expand Collapse

15. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Dang,........$40 for a carbon scraping tool! :wow:

I've been using the same cleaner to soak bolts in for going on three years!
    And it only cost me $3.95 at the Ford Dealer!

16. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

There are several types of these scrapers and several all in one ar tools and kits have different varieties.

The Magnamatic linked above is what I use--one in 556 and 308. The one end scrapes the bolt tail and can be used for other scraping and as a punch. The other end fits inside the BCG and makes quick work of stubborn buildup. Definitely worth $40 for the time it will save over the course of a shooting lifetime.

#16 humanguerrilla, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  17. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy
    Expand Collapse

My unit uses simple green to get crap like that out. Just cut it 1 to 1 with water and let it soak for a few days. It'll come right off and no special tool required.

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

19. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

As others have said, keeping the bolt wet will go a long way to making it much easier to clean. The CAT tool is amazing for getting built up carbon off of the bolt, as well.

20. Stevekozak

Stevekozak
    Expand Collapse
    Returning video

You have your M-4 out of commission for several days? :dunno::dunno::dunno: