Cleaning Tactical Light Lens

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by BierGut, Nov 29, 2010.

1. I have a TLR-2 hanging off my G22... following a range session of about 200 rounds it had a heck of a build up on the lens... hard and difficult to remove.

I'll certainly remove it for the next session, but for now does anyone have any suggestions on cleaning the lens of this hard crusty build-up?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

CLP works well.
    If you wish to leave the light on for ballance or whatever,
    simply place a few pieces of masking tape over the lense.

3. Thanks. I have never used CLP -- I'll see I get some.

4. RayB

RayB Retired Member

If memory serves, SureFire recommends using a, get this, pencil eraser! :shocked:

If the TLR's lens is made of the same or similar stuff, then there you go...

I'd clean off any grit or debris first, then blast with canned air.

Also...

I use Hoppe's Elite gun cleaner exclusively now. It has zero odor or fumes, and takes a wee bit longer to do its stuff, but it does it! I have found that it has no negative affect on plastics, etc. :thumbsup:

The gun cleaner my gun shop sold me worked great, but the stuff caused my pupils to dilate... :freak:

If you don't own a compressor, canned air is a must! I get mine at Sam's, or at Office Max when on a two-for-one sale.

Always test-blast first. Always hold the can still and move the object being blasted. The point is not to blow propellant, but just gas onto the object. I damaged the coatings on a telescope eyepiece once--somebody handled the can and I didn't test-blast first. Of course, I doubt any of your Glock's components would be harmed by propellant, but it's still a good habit to acquire.

Note: You might want to tape up your light for range practice (if you're not actually using it) and save the clean up! I use blue masking tape... ;)

--Ray

5. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

I'm really surprised that the owners manual has no instructions on what to use. Many lenses nowadays have a coating on them and the TLR-2 is also water resistant and they may use sealants around the lens. I wouldn't be putting anything combining solvent and oil on it (like CLP) unless OK'd by the manufacturer. A phone call now is pretty cheap insurance.

6. Use one of the above methods to clean it, CLP works great. Next time you go shooting however, put a bit of carmax on that bad boy. Light can still get through, and the carmax catches all the dirt. Pretty much one wipe and your GTG.

7. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Hoppes #9 works fine. Powder blast takes a bit longer. Both with a cotton patch.

8. Ditto a thin film of vaseline.