close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Clean and Unclean Foods

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by FCoulter, May 13, 2012.

1. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    lobsters and crabs scavenge for dead animals on the sea floor. Shellfish such as oysters, clams and mussels similarly consume decaying organic matter that sinks to the sea floor, including sewage.

A common denominator of many of the animals God designates as unclean is that they routinely eat flesh that would sicken or kill human beings. When we eat such animals we partake of a food chain that includes things harmful to people.

As nutritionist David Meinz observes: "Could it be that God, in His wisdom, created certain creatures whose sole purpose is to clean up after the others? Their entire 'calling' may be to act exclusively as the sanitation workers of our ecology. God may simply be telling us that it's better for us believers not to consume the meat of these trash collectors" (Eating by the Book,1999, p. 225).

The following list, based on Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14, identifies many of the animals God designates as clean and unclean. The list uses their common names.

Clean Animals

Mammals That Chew the Cud and Part the Hoof

Antelope
    Bison (buffalo)
    Caribou
    Cattle (beef, veal)
    Deer (venison)
    Elk
    Gazelle
    Giraffe
    Goat
    Hart
    Ibex
    Moose
    Ox
    Reindeer
    Sheep (lamb, mutton)

Fish With Fins and Scales

Anchovy
    Barracuda
    Bass
    Black pomfret (or monchong)
    Bluefish
    Bluegill
    Carp
    Cod
    Crappie
    Drum
    Flounder

Flounder
    Grouper
    Grunt
    Haddock
    Hake
    Halibut
    Hardhead
    Herring (or alewife)
    Kingfish
    Mackerel(or corbia)
    Mahimahi (or dorado, dolphinfish[not to be confused with the mammal dolphin])
    Minnow
    Mullet
    Perch (or bream)
    Pike (or pickerel or jack)
    Pollack (or pollock or Boston bluefish)
    Rockfish
    Salmon
    Sardine (or pilchard)
    Shad
    Silver hake (or whiting)
    Smelt (or frost fish or ice fish)
    Snapper (or ebu, jobfish, lehi, onaga, opakapaka or uku)
    Sole
    Steelhead
    Sucker
    Sunfish

Tarpon
    Trout (or weakfish)
    Tuna (or ahi, aku, albacore, bonito
    or tombo)
    Turbot (except European turbot)
    Whitefish

Birds With Clean Characteristics

Chicken
    Dove
    Duck
    Goose
    Grouse
    Guinea fowl
    Partridge
    Peafowl
    Pheasant
    Pigeon
    Prairie chicken
    Ptarmigan
    Quail
    Sagehen
    Sparr

Teal
    Turkey

Insects

Types of locusts that may include crickets and grasshoppers

Unclean Animals
    Animals With Unclean Characteristics

Swine
    Boar
    Peccary
    Pig (hog, bacon, ham, lard, pork, most sausage and pepperoni)

Canines
    Coyote
    Dog
    Fox
    Hyena
    Jackal
    Wolf

Felines
    Cat

Cheetah
    Leopard
    Lion
    Panther
    Tiger

Equines
    Donkey (ass)
    Horse
    Mule
    Onager
    Zebra (quagga)

Other
    Armadillo
    Badger
    Bat
    Bear
    Beaver
    Camel
    Elephant
    Gorilla
    Groundhog
    Hippopotamus
    Kangaroo
    Llama (alpaca, vicuña)
    Mole
    Monkey
    Mouse

Muskrat
    Opossum
    Porcupine
    Rabbit (hare)
    Raccoon
    Rat
    Rhinoceros
    Skunk
    Slug
    Snail (escargot)
    Squirrel
    Wallaby
    Weasel
    Wolverine
    Worm
    All insects except some in the locust family

Marine Animals Without Fins and Scales

Fish
    Bullhead
    Catfish
    Eel
    European Turbot
    Marlin
    Paddlefish

Shark
    Stickleback
    Squid
    Sturgeon (includes most caviar)
    Swordfish

Shellfish
    Abalone
    Clam
    Conch
    Crab
    Crayfish (crawfish, crawdad)
    Lobster
    Mussel
    Oyster
    Scallop
    Shrimp (prawn)

Soft body
    Cuttlefish
    Jellyfish
    Limpet
    Octopus
    Squid (calamari)

Sea mammals
    Dolphin
    Otter
    Porpoise

Seal
    Walrus
    Whale

Birds of Prey, Scavengers and Others

Albatross
    Bittern
    Buzzard
    Condor
    Coot
    Cormorant
    Crane
    Crow
    Cuckoo
    Eagle
    Flamingo
    Grebe
    Grosbeak
    Gull
    Hawk
    Heron
    Kite
    Lapwing
    Loon
    Magpie
    Osprey
    Ostrich

Owl
    Parrot
    Pelican
    Penguin
    Plover
    Rail
    Raven
    Roadrunner
    Sandpiper
    Seagull
    Stork
    Swallow
    Swift
    Vulture
    Water hen
    Woodpecker

Reptiles
    Alligator
    Caiman
    Crocodile
    Lizard
    Snake
    Turtle

Amphibians
    Blindworm
    Frog
    Newt

Salamander
    Toad

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  2. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    No swine or crustaceans? Hogwash. I be "eatin' dirty". Bacon is proof pigs love us and want us to be happy.

3. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Nov 1, 2002
    KCXO
    The only rule I have for clean and unclean foods is the Three Second Rule.

:whistling:

4. The principle upon which we should regulate what we eat is given in the Bible. It is to eat that which will bring glory to God and health to the believer.

I Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore you eat, or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.

Today it is not only the unclean animals that are unfit for food. As sin and greed have increased the whole meat supply is tainted and dangerous.

By feeding animal products to animals that normally are vegetarians disease is spread and increased. By emphasizing production over nutrition plants and animals both become less healthful.

http://text.egwwritings.org/publica...genumber=274&QUERY="milk+and+eggs"&resultId=1

MEDICAL MINISTRY, PAGE 274
    "Let us make intelligent advancement in simplifying our diet. In the providence of God, every country produces articles of food containing the nourishment necessary for the upbuilding of the system. These may be made into healthful, appetizing dishes.
    Let those who advocate health reform strive earnestly to make it all that they claim it is. Let them discard everything detrimental to health. Use simple, wholesome food. Fruit is excellent, and saves much cooking. Discard rich pastries, cakes, desserts, and the other dishes prepared to tempt the appetite. Eat fewer kinds of food at one meal, and eat with thanksgiving.
    Concerning flesh-meat we can all say, Let it alone. And all should bear a clear testimony against tea and coffee, never using them. They are narcotics, injurious alike to the brain and to the other organs of the body. The time has not yet come when I can say that the use of milk and of eggs should be wholly discontinued. Milk and eggs should not be classed with flesh-meats. In some ailments the use of eggs is very beneficial.
    Let the members of our churches deny every selfish appetite. Every penny expended for tea, coffee, and flesh-meat is worse than wasted, for these things hinder the best development of the physical, mental, and spiritual powers.—Letter 135, 1902."

5. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    Vic I agree alot of the food we have now is over processed and thus not healthy,however I have a problem with Ellen White adding to Gods list of UNCLEAN food and saying drinking coffee or tea is sin.

6. eracer

eracer Where's my EBT?

Apr 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    I don't often laugh at these kinds of threads, since I believe that theology is a valuable tool in our quest for understanding.

But seriously?

:rofl:

7. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    So you question God? Then laugh, :faint:

This list was posted to help people who actually care about themselves,and choose to obey God.

It was not posted so the community atheists can do their usual mocking. One would think even atheist would behave somewhat more civil.

8. rgregoryb

rgregoryb Sapere aude

Oct 20, 2004
    Republic of Alabama
    kind of lets you peek into the asylum, without having to mingle with the inmates..........

what a crock...............

9. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Sep 5, 2010
    Texas
    Here is a current study by the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/meatless-meals/my00752

Now, compare that to the Ministry of Healing posted by Vic, which was published in 1905.

This was back when doctor's used to prescribe cigarettes.

Now, where would an uneducated woman get such material in that environment in 1905 when the Mayo Clinic just echoed what she had to say in their own publication?

10. It would be cruel of me to say that I think you drink a lot of coffee.

We can do brain scans now and the amount of caffeine in one cup of coffee can reduce the blood flow to the brain by 40%

People think that caffeine wakes them up and it may keep them from sleeping, but it certainly does not help them to think clearly.

God wants us to be able to hear that still small voice. If we abuse our body systems with stimulants we are drowning out the voice of God speaking to us.

The principle is not simple obedience to God and stay away from the tabu list which is helpful but only a beginning. It is about glorifying God in our bodies which are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

I Corinthians 6:19 Do ye not know that your body is [the] temple of the Holy Spirit which [is] in you, which ye have of God; and ye are not your own?
    6:20 for ye have been bought with a price: glorify now then God in your body.

11. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    Ok, lets think a moment. When the Bible was formed/ created, were the species mentioned even discovered?
    Chris Rock has it right. He did a thing discussing how eating certain foods 2000 years ago could kill you. Now we have RE-FRIG-ER-ATION.
    The Bible was just trying to stop people from killing themselves with food poisioning.
    And I still think the list is bs. Several creatures were not known to them then. And don't say, "Oh, the description of the creature fit in the Bibles meaning.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  12. Grimlet

Do you suppose that refrigeration will stop mad cow disease? Do you suppose cooking it thoroughly will kill mad cow disease? BTW pigs carry it too. It takes more than 600 degrees to kill mad cow and then all you have is charcoal.

Do you suppose mad cow disease is rare in the USA?

Guess again. It is much more prevalent than you think. Tens of thousands of people are dying from it every year.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2g1gxQuFpM"]Interview - Colm Kelleher - Mad Cow and Misdiagnosed Alzheimer's Disease - YouTube[/ame]

13. mike from st pe

mike from st pe

Apr 30, 2007
    St Pete FL
    Do you suppose that refrigeration will stop mad cow disease? Do you suppose cooking it thoroughly will kill mad cow disease? BTW pigs carry it too. It takes more than 600 degrees to kill mad cow and then all you have is charcoal.

Along with Elks and a bunch of other "cud chewing" bovines suffer from the prion that causes "MAD COW".
    Known as SCRAPIE, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapie.
    :wavey:

14. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    Gentlemen, to my knowledge, mad cow disease is caused by cannibalism. Mainly using ground remains of a species as food for the same species. Is it not a man made disease? I don't recall hearing of it before the '70's. The cannibal tribes of the South Pacific suffered from this I believe. I may be wrong so please correct me if so.
    I think y'all miss the point. Its not just refrigeration. The leaders back in their time used the written word to protect their uneducated brethern with Bible verses to save their lives. I don't fault them for their intent but the times have changed and we understand things better now and don't need threats when we have evolved education.

15. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    I loves me some bacon.

"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bacon." -Homer Simpson

16. One theory is that this nervous system disease was brought back from the South Pacific by researchers who were investigating this disease that affected cannibals. The cannibals thought that by cutting themselves and rubbing the brains of their victims into the skin of their arms they could get some of the strength of their victims. This was an even better route of contagion than eating the brains.

Since there was neither bacteria or virus in the samples researchers did not find the cause of transmission and of course these prions are not destroyed by normal sterilization temperatures. All it would take is for some to get on the ground and be picked up by a cow or goat and the infection was in the US and Britain. The incubation period before symptoms appear in humans is like 10 to 40 years. Once the symptoms appear death ensues in a few months.

Most cattle are slaughtered at about three years before the symptoms appear. For each cow they find with mad cow disease there are probably 200 that get into the food chain because they use random sampling. I don't think they test pigs at all.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  17. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Dec 29, 2011
    Thanks for that information. Very interesting.
    I am very skeptical of mass produced food.
    Hormones, steroid, insecticides and antibiotics are a huge poison to our food supply.