close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Clays and 10mm

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by telecster, Feb 1, 2010.

1. telecster

telecster
    Expand Collapse

Any load data for Clays in 10mm 180grn bullets..

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Tmygun

Tmygun
    Expand Collapse

Clays is a very fast powder that uses small charges. It's not really suitable to the 10mm. By the time you reached a maximum charge, your velocity would be fairly low and the pressure would be near the high end. Clays is more suited to very mild lead target loads in 38spl, 45acp, etc.
    Do you have any other powders available that have data for the 10mm? If so, I'd try one of those. Go to some of the powder sites, like Hodgdon.com, or Alliant.com and see what they recommend.
    Happy shooting!!!!

Tmygun:wavey:

3. CZ guy

CZ guy
    Expand Collapse

Been there done that, ain't gonna do it again. A few too many split cases for my taste. Find another powder.

4. nam02G

nam02G
    Expand Collapse
    Angry Bunny

A friend of mine blew up a G20 with a double charge of Clays. I took some pictures of it once upon a time but I don't have them anymore. Better to go with a bulkier powder that is obvious when you have charged the case.

5. 527varmint

527varmint
    Expand Collapse

lots of folks run blue dot

6. telecster

telecster
    Expand Collapse

I have been loading Titegroup and Longshot. It is amazing the difference in powder. Titegroup max loads is nowhere near as load as longshot. Recoil is less also. have not chrono'd so not sure of other differences. A friend has been shooting Clays ion his 45's and gave me a little to try. I had not stats so I posted. I guess I will use it in some 45's.

7. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

I just flipped through all of the published load data (old and new) that I have on hand. I did not find anything for Clays. There is probably a good reason.

8. f4tweet

f4tweet
    Expand Collapse

Aa-7/aa-9!

9. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

Yep! A couple of my favorites. Add Blue Dot for versatility and the occasional 800-X, and that rounds out my collection of favorites for the 10mm.

10. Taterhead

Taterhead
    Expand Collapse
    Counting Beans

I'm curious about Longshot because it seems to show promise, i.e. high velocities for comparable pressures. I have heard that it is loud, and some folks have referred to it as "Loudshot." Sounds like that is your experience too. Do you have any other info to pass along like metering, clean/dirty etc?

Thanks