close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Clays and 10mm

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by telecster, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Any load data for Clays in 10mm 180grn bullets..

2. Tmygun

Tmygun

Jan 17, 2010
    Clays is a very fast powder that uses small charges. It's not really suitable to the 10mm. By the time you reached a maximum charge, your velocity would be fairly low and the pressure would be near the high end. Clays is more suited to very mild lead target loads in 38spl, 45acp, etc.
    Do you have any other powders available that have data for the 10mm? If so, I'd try one of those. Go to some of the powder sites, like Hodgdon.com, or Alliant.com and see what they recommend.
    Happy shooting!!!!

Tmygun:wavey:

3. CZ guy

CZ guy

Jan 18, 2010
    Been there done that, ain't gonna do it again. A few too many split cases for my taste. Find another powder.

4. nam02G

nam02G Angry Bunny

Feb 4, 2002
    Vancouver USA
    A friend of mine blew up a G20 with a double charge of Clays. I took some pictures of it once upon a time but I don't have them anymore. Better to go with a bulkier powder that is obvious when you have charged the case.

5. I have been loading Titegroup and Longshot. It is amazing the difference in powder. Titegroup max loads is nowhere near as load as longshot. Recoil is less also. have not chrono'd so not sure of other differences. A friend has been shooting Clays ion his 45's and gave me a little to try. I had not stats so I posted. I guess I will use it in some 45's.

6. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I just flipped through all of the published load data (old and new) that I have on hand. I did not find anything for Clays. There is probably a good reason.

7. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Yep! A couple of my favorites. Add Blue Dot for versatility and the occasional 800-X, and that rounds out my collection of favorites for the 10mm.

8. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm curious about Longshot because it seems to show promise, i.e. high velocities for comparable pressures. I have heard that it is loud, and some folks have referred to it as "Loudshot." Sounds like that is your experience too. Do you have any other info to pass along like metering, clean/dirty etc?

Thanks