close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

City boy going hunting for first time

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by G23c, Jan 4, 2011.

1. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    First time ever. born and raised in the city so no firearms or hunting as a child. Pretty exciting, heading down just north of Harlingen, TX tomorrow evening. Going with a friend that has had this lease for over 25 years. looking for nilgai, oryx; maybe coyote. Will post pix if successful, will post excuses if not. :supergrin:

2. smokin762

smokin762

Apr 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Congratulations.

I was raised in the big city myself. Now, I live in a slower paced area. My dad was raised out in the country so he showed my brother and me how to hunt and fish at a young age.

Everyday I hunted was a beautiful day even if I did not see any game. I love being out in the woods with nature and nobody else around, it is so peaceful.

If you enjoy hunting, you can always pass along your new skills to your kids someday. I will admit, my brother and I never cared for our dad because of how he was but I did enjoy the hunting and fishing with him. It is a skill that I will never forget.:cool:

3. BK63

BK63

Sep 15, 2005
    CT
    I started a job 25 years ago and met a guy that came up here to CT from Philadelphia. He was a city guy born and raised. 25 years later we are good friends, he lives in the country, has all kinds of guns and hunts and fishes, something he never did before he met me. I don't think he'll ever move back.

4. duncan

duncan Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Seattle
    I also moved from an urban area near Dayton, OH to Seattle where I can hunt everythig up to moose if I head up near Canada. Go hunting with your experienced friend and learn from him. And you can pass it on. My 15 year old knows how to find a school of fish and for unregulated species, we have pulled 300 yellow perch for two fish frys. My youngest wants to go out for spring turkey with me. Never went hunting with my dad but did see pheasant hunters in the rear of our property.

5. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

Jul 19, 2008
    Have fun...nothing like experiencing new things. I am the opposite though. I grew up hunting. Now I just see it as getting up too early, sitting too long in the cold, getting too wet, and shooting at something that does not have a fair chance of shooting back. No thanks...I will sleep in and go to the butcher. :supergrin:

6. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

good luck man, you will have fun, I grew up near there. throw hogs on that list for sure too. How far up 77 is it?

I am going on a hog/nilgai hunt at my buddy's place in June, probably about 40 mi west of there.

7. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    wow, what a blast! my friends got nilgai antelope and I got my first whitetail, a doe. 30.06 at about 85 yards. we were on the Yturrria ranch, next to the King Ranch about 10(?) miles north of Harlingen. definitely have a greater appreciation for hunting, hunters and nature.

8. sourdough44

sourdough44

Jul 23, 2007
    WI
    Glad you were able to get some action. Now you can gear up/plan for next time.

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    That is wonderful to hear, sounds like a great time! A memory you'll never forget!:cool:

10. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    good idea, everyone in camp was laughing at the duct tape covering my thorn ripped jeans.

11. timberwoof

timberwoof

Dec 14, 2010
    Portland, Tx
    Were you in a stand, jeep or stalking your prey?

12. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

Nice, congrats! I know the Yturria's, great place to hunt. Tripod blinds?

13. G23c

G23c

Jan 23, 2009
    houston, texas
    no stand, we were in a jeep, then stalking. a lot of room to cover with varying terrain.