Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Citrus county FL - deputy arrests CHL for exposure

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by opto_isolator, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. opto_isolator

opto_isolator Extinct GOP

Aug 2, 2006
    This guy's an idiot for getting out of his car, but, the officer could have definitely handled this better:

[ame=""] - FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawfully carried Handgun[/ame]

Florida does not require notification unless demanded by law officer.
  2. JimBean

Dec 19, 2012
    An open carry law would have prevented this. The deputy seemed far more pissed about not having any warning.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

3. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    My state requires you to tell them. I really don't understand why every state doesn't.

If I didn't have to tell them I still would. Common sense. I've seen a few of these videos.
  4. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

May 22, 2009
    Maybe it wasn't handled as well as it could have been by the officer, but the concealed carry holder was an idiot. The way he was taking his wallet in and out, fast movements, in the same place where his handgun was, was very careless. From the deputies perspective, all he sees is a guy that hopped out of the van (a no no), and is flinging his hands around in an area where he then sees he has a weapon.

He should have stayed in his vehicle. Pulled his wallet out before the cop got to the car. Not put his hands anywhere near that part of his body again during the stop.

I agree with the above poster, which is this is an example of why all states should just make "duty to inform" a law.
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
  5. tnedator

tnedator Lifetime Member

May 22, 2009
    Also, if he doesn't have a better concealment garment, he should have been wearing an IWB instead of the OWB holster. Hard to believe that guy hasn't revealed his gun on other occasions, as the concealment garment simply wasn't adequate for his gun/holster, anytime he "reached/raised" his arms.
  6. At least the SS did not use foul language like that little punk. If he would have kicked my car door, he would have majorly upset my Prussian temper.
  7. garya1961

Mar 17, 2012
    The guy should have stayed in the car but the cop was a jerk. The guy is not required to tell him he has a gun in Florida.
  8. Caver 60

Caver 60

Jun 12, 2007
    I don't know the laws in Florida but in every state I've lived in, you don't get out of the vehicle unless the LEO tells you to. So that looks like mistake number one on his part. (Actually number two, since he had expired tags for the first mistake.)

And since apparently Florida apparently does not have open carry, seems like he should have been concealing better. Can't say I blame the LEO when he doesn't know anything about this guy, except he saw the gun and didn't know the guy had a permit.

Our state doesn't require notification either, unless asked. But if the officer asks me to get out of the vehicle, I'm durn sure going to tell him first that I have a permit and where the weapon is.
  9. oldman11

Mar 1, 2012
    That cop is a punk who thinks he's a bad*****. He didn't have to scream like a little girl at the guy. If I was his chief I would let the civilian go and do some butt chewing on the patrolman. That is the kind of crap that gives cops bad names.
  10. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Jun 22, 2006
    I wonder what kind of holster the driver was using. I ask because did the deputy see the actual gun or just the holster, i cant tell watching on my phone. Also Isn't there case law pertaining to an exposed holster only saying it isn't brandishing or exposing the firearm?

However, the driver was not smart in hopping out of his vehicle the way he did and moving his hands fast like that. Those two things alone would make me uneasy. I always practice keeping my wallet on my support side.

The driver should have told the deputy he was armed once he began moving and reaching for things inside his vehicle.

Noticed the deputy didn't remove and secure the weapon but left him laying there while focusing on the passenger. The guy could have gotten up and used the gun.

I would have detained him as well to make sure he wasn't a criminal or that he had a ccw. While it's now the law in Fla I would always tell the officer I'm carrying.

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Jun 22, 2006
    Also the deputy screaming "like a little girl", put yourself in his shoes, suspected firearm, man takes hands from the van, puts them to his side, with his gun side away from you now. You had no idea what his intentions were at that time.

Unfortunately the driver just had a lot going against him. I feel the driver should'very gotten an ass chewing by the deputy for what he did but not arrested.

12. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    My vehicle was struck at a stop light on a major highway. The police from a couple of agencies showed up. I was asked for my insurances by one officer. When I reached in and leaned over the drivers seat to the center council, the officer stepped into me and quietly asked if I had a permit for that "thing". I said sure and asked if she wanted to see it. She smiled and said no, I trust you.

We do not have to notify here. No one was alarmed, no one got put at gunpoint, no one was excited.

The whole episode went without a hitch. One officer even stayed with my wife till the ambulance got there.

I was stopped another time and I stayed in the vehicle, showed my drivers license to the officer as requested and showed him my permit to carry. Nothing was said, he nodded to me and that was it.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the LEO's I have encountered for any reason, in my life. they have been real pro's.
  13. itsnitro

itsnitro Got Sig?

Jun 22, 2006
    :thumbup: glad all went well!

14. TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    Both of them were morons and should've handled it better, but it's in the past and people will move on. Doubt either one has learned a lesson though.
  15. ricklee4570

Sep 11, 2009
    A lot of peoople who may never have been pulled over in their entire life are unaware that they should stay in their vehicle. And really, are we as citizens safer because we use tax dollars to arrest this guy and put him in jail?

The cop is an a-hole. For crying out loud, when does common sense play a role here? This is probably the same kind of cop that when he runs into a big tough menacing gang member he starts with the "Sir, for your own protection sir please keep your hands where I can see them sir", but with some middle class law abiding citizen he becomes Mr. Tough Guy.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  16. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    Florida law also excuses "accidental exposure". I believe this would be an example of that. The cop was a bit overboard obviously not having been exposed to many guns so far in his career IMO.
  17. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Nov 17, 2006
    God's Country (Texas)
    That cop was an ***hole. No if, and, or but about it. The driver was stupid for getting out of the van, but the cop seemed ok with it at first, until he saw the gun, and screamed like a little girl. Jerk!:steamed:
  18. badge315

Aug 14, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    The officer may have been a little over the top in his reaction, and he definitely should not have arrested the driver, but I say the lion's share of stupidity in this incident falls on the driver. I can absolutely see how that might have looked to the officer like he was going for a gun.
  19. This officer was way out of line. There's no excuse for foul language, threatening to shoot the man in the back, or CLOSING THE MAN'S DOOR WITH HIS SHOE! Were this to happen in my state, we'd be on that LEO like stink on dodo.
  20. There is case law regarding this in my state. Just because an officer sees a holster does not mean that there is a firearm within.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.