close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cigarettes as barter

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Dalton Wayne, Sep 23, 2013.

1. pugman

pugman

May 16, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I look at it this way...

I've seen way too many videos of burglars who break into stores when things are good to only steal cigarettes.

I've seen videos of people who stick a gun in a clerk's face for a carton of Marlboros.

If they know you have cigarettes what do you think they would be willing to do when things get bad?

2. Speleothem

Speleothem

Mar 2, 2013
    Ascension Parish
    I'm a cigar and pipe tobacco hoarder.
    If tobacco becomes currency, I'm rich! :supergrin:

3. gorwilla

gorwilla

Aug 25, 2011
    If you are ok dealing with those who posses substandard willpower and ill priorities...yes, good vice item to barter.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009

1. Not everyone that smokes or drinks is a raving lunatic or security risk.

2. Cigs may be valuable to those who want them but they are fragile and go stale quickly. Ive heard fridge or freezer can extend an unopened packs life but refrigeration is a commodity id reserve for food. Survival is about endurance, not an investment opportunity.

3. I would not waste my time on perishables and personally cant stand cigarettes. If i had the scratch i might stock some good cigars away for personal use....they can be kept indefinitely in a good humidor. But i have other priorities right now.

With regard to #1, you might be well stocked on all you need and know someone like wise well equipped. If an odd unforeseen need crops up, a bottle of good scotch or bourbon might be a deal sealer for a civilized trader who enjoys in moderation and a morale booster he can open on the holidays to recall when life was good and civilization ruled the day rather than chaos. Or you might be swapping luxuries with someone. You have some good liquor, the other guy has some affordable luxury he wants to swap. Not every trade will be at gunpoint.

And you could.miscalculate. the event outlives your supply level. Liquor stores well and veggies dont. Maybe someone with a field will trade a bushel of veggie for a bottle of jack black. Long after paper currency loses its value...jack daniels will still be good for something. Unopened liquor in a glass bottle can keep 100 yrs. Thats a store of value!

5. bucky_925

bucky_925

Dec 29, 2000
    North Carolina
    I figure that "most" people would be killed before they could barter their smokes. Just my 2 cents

6. Syclone0538

Syclone0538

May 7, 2013
    I don't plan on stocking anything that doesn't do any good for the person using it. Anyone that will trade something of high value, that you both need, for cigarettes, is not someone I want to be around, or to know anything about me.

7. 05shadow

05shadow

Feb 12, 2013

I grew up in the Soviet Union and was there during the collapse(I was a teenager) but I do remember that EVERY kiosk and store had smokes. Hell, you can even buy them individually if you wanted to. I remember being 12 abd buying a few smokes after school quet a few times

8. pmcjury

pmcjury

Nov 4, 2008
    To all those saying smokers won't survive shtf, think about one thing, how many combat troops smoke.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk

9. Speleothem

Speleothem

Mar 2, 2013
    Ascension Parish
    "If you can’t send money, send tobacco."

- General George Washington in a dispatch to the Continental Congress,
    pleading for help during the Revolutionary War, 1776.

10. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik

Sep 6, 2005
    S.W. Missouri
    Heaven help the looter who encounters my wife after she runs out of cigarettes!:shocked::shocked:.........................:supergrin:

11. johnson8861

johnson8861 Daddo Chomper

During the initial breakdown of society, you could easily aquire a large supply of smokes. It doesn't take much to store if you have a building. Maybe someone that has penicilin will want smokes? What have you lost by storing an item that may be valuble?

12. I store pipe tobacco. 12 years is when the blends really taste great.

13. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    In high school my friend found a 20 year old pack of Camels, unopened Cellophane, that had belonged to his deceased father from WW2.

It was like wrapping your lips around a blow torch. I smoked Pall Mall at the time and I couldn't deal with the Camels.

14. Deltic

Deltic

May 21, 2013
    Yea I started again after 12 years smoke free, but I wasn't thinking about my long term survival. Now several years later I have only smoked about 4 or 5 packs this year and that is still too much. Troops in combat zones are under a lot of stress. Folks in a SHTF situation might be under even more stress and tobacco will be worth a lot.