close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Church vs Tour Guide

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Allegra, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

akala ko si fafa andrew! hehe

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquir...uchy-Fili-tour-guide-arrested-for-Noli-poster

Touchy ‘Fili’ tour guide arrested for ‘Noli’ poster

By Philip Tubeza, Cathy C. Yamsuan
    Philippine Daily Inquirer
    First Posted 02:04:00 10/01/2010

Filed Under: Churches (organisations), Religion & Belief, Protest, Legislation, Politics

MANILA, Philippines—Much sought-after tourist guide Carlos Celdran was arrested by police Thursday afternoon for protesting the Catholic Church’s opposition to the reproductive health (RH) bill during an ecumenical service at Manila Cathedral.

Standing in front of the main altar, Celdran shouted that the Church should “stop getting involved” in politics during a ceremony marking the second anniversary of the May They Be One Bible campaign, a joint effort by Catholics and Protestant leaders to distribute Bibles to five million poor Filipino families.

Wearing a dark suit and a top hat, he held up a placard with the word “Damaso,” referring to the hated Spanish friar in national hero Jose Rizal’s novel “Noli Me Tangere.”

Interviewed by phone Thursday night at Station 5 of the Manila Police District, Celdran said he was detained in “the juvenile jail cell together with some prostitutes and some other guy from Munti (Muntinlupa) who has become my friend.”

“I kinda showed the [priests] what [civil disobedience] was like. The Millennium Development Goals of the Philippines hinge on controlling the population and maternal health, but they have done nothing but lie and blackmail … the Presidents and deprive the poorest of the poor of reproductive health services,” Celdran fumed.

Senior Police Officer 4 Benjie Madriaga said Celdran was to remain in detention overnight depending on the city prosecutor’s evaluation of his case.

‘Listen to the people’

Madriaga said Celdran was taken in for violating Article 133 of the Revised Penal Code, for “offending religious feelings.”

Celdran told reporters after his arrest that he conducted his protest action because the bishops needed to “hear what the Filipinos are saying.”

“Ninety percent of the people want the RH bill,” he said.

Among those at the ceremony were Manila Archbishop Gaudencio Cardinal Rosales, the Papal Nuncio Archbishop Edward Adams, and other Catholic bishops.

Protestant Bishops Fred Magbanua of the Philippine Council for Evangelical Churches and Nathaniel Lazaro, chair of the National Council of Churches of the Philippines and Rev. Richard Pridmore of the Union Church of Manila were also present.

“[Celdran] should not have done that,” said Amy Herrera, who attended the ceremony. “This is a private and solemn occasion. It reminded me of the [Aug. 23] hostage-taking.”

Herrera said Celdran entered the cathedral with a woman but did not immediately display his placard.

She said Celdran came out through the door on the right side of the cathedral and returned later and walked to the front of the main altar, with the placard in hand.

“At first I thought it was some sort of play that was part of the ceremony but he kept shouting, especially when someone took his placard. I was alarmed,” Herrera said.

Another witness said Celdran walked toward the front pew, where Rosales and the bishops were sitting.

“He was angry. I thought he was going to bash the cardinal with the placard,” the witness said.

‘I had enough’

Security men later approached Celdran and led him away. He did not resist.

On the phone with the Inquirer, Celdran recalled the afternoon’s event:

“I finally had enough, so I brought a placard [to the Mass]. It took them a while to realize what I was doing, and when they did they could not look me in the eye.

“I started screaming, ‘Stop getting involved in politics!’ I kept screaming until I could not scream anymore, then they took me away. Why keep President Aquino hostage when reproductive health is the fundamental right of Filipinos?”

Celdran said the Church apparently needed to be reminded “to respect the constitutional provision on separation of Church and State.”

“Threatening civil disobedience [because of the RH bill] was a low blow, so I just gave them a dose of their own,” he said. “They can’t take what they threatened to dish out.”

Celdran said that as he started shouting, “I felt strangely calm.”

“People were smiling. A little boy, whom I recognized as one of the urchins running around Intramuros, started clapping, and that gave me the strength to go on. That kid knows where I’m going,” he said.

Celdran, who identified himself as a member of the Filipino Freethinkers and Rational Hero.com, said the groups were not aware of his protest plan.

“Please don’t tell me other people don’t want to do [what I did]. Hopefully the President would do the next step,” he said without elaborating.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. CatsMeow

CatsMeow
    Expand Collapse

Hehe I was watching it last night. Weird, Rizal with an awful hairstyle:supergrin:. Though I seriously doubt he got his point across to the clergy present.

3. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

my take on the matter. why do they need to excommunicate the president? where it is their job to influence theri followers. they could just do their job and their followers would follow. they shouldn't assume that the entire country follows them because it is not the case.

4. CatsMeow

CatsMeow
    Expand Collapse

In Noli Me Tangere, someone told Ibarra that even Padre Damaso himself was excommunicated for beating up his vicar, "but he has not lost weight over it".

The excommunication threat should not be idly thrown about just because somebody disagrees with the Church. Reminds me of the situation in my hometown in the 50s, the clergy then threatened to excommunicate anybody who went to a Protestant university.

Still, mandating abstinence...:whistling: my old law book had the phrase "men are still cavemen in the pleasures of the bed". Years ago I was watching a dog in heat, there were three dogs trying to mount her, one finally succeeded but the other two were still vainly trying even though it was obviously impossible already.

#4 CatsMeow, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

to me they want laws put up laws to cover up for their short commings

6. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

The guy's a bad fruit.
    Doesn't know his history very well, yet keeps rambling on during his historical "tours".
    I took him aside once, to quietly suggest more research, and he reacted almost violently.
    I guess he didn't like the idea that all his insinuations that Rizal was gay might not have
    enough scholarly basis ....lol.

#6 horge, Oct 1, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. Evan N. Payawal

Evan N. Payawal
    Expand Collapse

Well, his objective was to obviously have a soapbox to stand on and speak from...and he got it.

The guy has a point though... a very good point.

National policy should be influenced mainly by the people (through its democratically elected government) , not by threats from any interest group.

8. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

Is he the one who insinuated that Rizal and Blumentritt was not just simple BFF?

9. CatsMeow

CatsMeow
    Expand Collapse

There was a certain term for such an attitude I read only last night, now if I could only remember what it was... something to do with one's views being the be all and end-all, to the exclusion of others, hence the violent reaction.

Now I have my doubts on whether he is the right, er, guy to raise such a very important issue...

10. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

I disagree somewhat.

Elected representatives are sufficient for bread-and-butter issues:
    the electorate knows the candidates' beliefs one way or the other.
    For especially acute issues like population management, the people
    do have the right --indeed the duty to offer their two cents' worth.
    Our very form of government acknowledges this, and that is why
    it is sometimes forced to call a referendum ---to "refer" an issue to
    the vox popvli.

If several individuals have common beliefs, it's their right to form a
    political lobby for expression --whether they're farmers, actors,
    businessmen or yes, priests (however unseemly it is for priests to
    be political, they're still citizens).

The problem here is VENUE.
    The priests technically haven't abused someone else's space in order
    to express themselves.

11. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

Forget about over population!
    rizal was gay???

12. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

Visit the National Archives and three times out of ten, you will run into
    gay-activist historians who tend to view all fact through the lens of
    their sexual preference, as if EVERYTHING has to be evaluated for its
    significance to a 'Philippine Gay History'.

Others, who share said preference and said propensity for distortion,
    do not even BOTHER to do research using primary material. They just
    twist what they obtain from secondary and tertiary sources, and are
    twice as vocal.

Now, there is no substantial evidence that Rizal was 'gay'.
    I actually think it's irrelevant, but I guess some 'gay' men feel the need
    to boost their stock by trying to claim Rizal as one of their own. It's
    scarce different from Filipinos (of all sexual inclinations) claiming that a
    Filipino invented the Lunar Rover, the M-16, or the fluorescent lamp.

Bad fruit.

h.

13. napinap

napinap
    Expand Collapse

14. Wp.22

Wp.22
    Expand Collapse

is Boy Abunda historian?

15. Wp.22

Wp.22
    Expand Collapse

The last time i heard mr. celdran charges 1K per person.

16. Wp.22

Wp.22
    Expand Collapse

Did he tried to kiss you Horge?:supergrin:

17. napinap

napinap
    Expand Collapse

18. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

i'm more inclined to believe that rizal fathered Hitler than him being gay. oh well what do i know i haven't met the guy and besides i'm not sensitive to gays or tibo. to me its their choice to do what they want in their private place.

19. mtho

mtho
    Expand Collapse

oo nga , did he?

20. Allegra

Allegra
    Expand Collapse

Good read :) biased nga yata ating mga girlaloo historians

Bading daw si rizal kasi -

- ayaw nya gyerahin mga espanol
    - di nya makasundo mga chikababes nya
    - di sya mahilig sa GRO