close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Christian student suspended for five days for wearing a Jesus T-shirt

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by 4Rules, May 3, 2012.

1. 4Rules

4Rules

Mar 11, 2012
    Grade 12 student William Swinimer has been told he will be suspended for the rest of the school year if he returns to school Monday wearing the T-shirt, which means he likely won’t graduate.
    http://thechronicleherald.ca/novascotia/92094-school-board-says-jesus-t-shirts-ok

2. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Makes me wonder what people's thoughts would be if that shirt said "Life is wasted with Jesus" rather than "Life is wasted without Jesus".

Would you have a problem with a school board telling a student that a shirt with "Life is wasted with Jesus" is not appropriate for wear at school because it is disrespectful towards others beliefs? Something to think about.

3. dbcooper

dbcooper

Mar 2, 2011
    I got one with a picture of Jesus on it that says underneath

"If you don't sin Jesus died for nothing"

I wonder if that one would be ok

4. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    Looks like it happened in Canada. Can't say I'm surprised. Not sure what kind of freedom or right to speech they have over there though.

5. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Just shows how high a priority he thinks his education is.

Sorry, but high school isn't the place to cause problems. He was asked to not wear the shirt other students find offensive and refused. I'm sure the school has a code of conduct.

I suppose the kid would be ok with his art teacher assigning Leonard Nimoy's book of nude pregnant women as the class text?

6. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    "But the T-**** he wore went further by telling non-Christians their lives are wasted, she said."

Did she say what I think she said? :wow:

7. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Would you have a problem with a school board telling a student that a shirt with "Life is wasted with Jesus" printed on it is not appropriate for wear at school because it is disrespectful towards others beliefs?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  8. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    No

(extra characters needed to post)

9. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Ok.

So we have a group of words A.
    We have a group of words B.

A is the *same* group of words as B with the single exception that in "A", where one word is "without", that word is "with" in B.

You've stated you would not have a problem with a school board telling a student they could not wear a shirt with statement B due to it being possibly offensive.

You've also made a post that indicates some sort of shock or wonder at the idea of someone stating that statement A might possibly be offensive.

Please explain how the two statements are any different in potential to offend other than the two statements potentially offend different groups of people and you happen to agree with one of those groups.

10. Gunhaver

Gunhaver the wrong hands

Jan 24, 2012
    On the bright side, the student can pray all he likes while he's at home and doesn't have to be brain washed about dinosaurs and liberalism and stuff during that time thereby bringing him closer to Jesus. What's the problem? :dunno:

11. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    So far so good. For you this is rather impressive.

True

False, my shock is that they used the words from her quote to be "T-****" the fact that they used asterisks and that there are not enough of them to spell the word "shirt" makes me wonder if she used another (off color) term.

If so I find it ironic/shocking that while someone finds the shirt offensive they would describe it as T-sh** to a reporter.

If that is what happened.

I don't think they are.

Then again, if you are a mathematician you must understand that making a false assumption generally leads you to a false conclusion. :rofl:

12. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Ahh, the ad-hom in the first response. I suppose that for you this is expected.

You've never seen anyone accidentally miss a letter when typing? I don't find it shocking that such a typo would be present. Then again, I suppose you might say that I'm making an assumption that it's a typo. (I find it more likely that it's a typo, than the person quoted actually used the expletive that GT *'d out, and given that when you actually read the article it's not a direct quote but a paraphrase).

Good.

13. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    Actually I was genuinely impressed you got this far.

14. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    It's not just the miss in count of asterisks, it's that they would also asterisk it in the first place.

Why would they asterisk "shirt"

15. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    Huh, I never looked at it that way.

16. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus
    If there is a typo, GT would do the asterisking..(is that even a word?)

17. void *

void * Dereference Me!

Pardon me while I don't believe that, Roering, given the attitude evoked by your response to me.

If it comes to that, I suppose I'm sorry for giving you enough credit to realize that it was most likely a typo, given that you've used the opportunity to apparently attempt to insult, etc.

18. void *

void * Dereference Me!

GT *did* the asterisking, in the original article it is not asterisked. Search for 'But the T-' in the actual article.

19. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

Dec 23, 2007
    Under the bus

You are correct.

Its actually kinda funny.

20. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Feb 14, 2008
    Costa Mesa
    I clicked on the article to read it from there.

It does say T-(excrement)

Although, the original article may have just missed the "r".

Either way, kind of funny.

Bugs me now though that I don't know what she actually said.