close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

chosing a new AR15

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Green Dragoon, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
    Several of you were very helpful in my thread yesterday, concerning if I needed a left-handed action.

So, I've decided I don't.

Next step- my local dealer has a Colt H-Bar 16" barrel. Target shooting is going to be my main thing. Should I go down for it or should I go with the S&W and save some serious coin.....and upgrade things later.

Is the inate quality of the Colt that much better?

Thanks once again for all your guidance.

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Plenty of companies make ARs of equal quality to a Colt, and sometimes even better. Some of those companies make 'em cheaper than Colt does - sometimes significantly so.

As for target shooting, are you looking for just plinking/range fun? Long distance target shooting? NRA high power type shooting? The more we know about what you want out of the rifle (ie: 1MOA groups at 300 yards vs minute of can at 50), the more people here will be able to give you suggestions on what to look for.

3. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
    Hello WP..thanks for the response. At this point, it would be for casual, long-range shooting.....200 meters and out. I do like the notion though of having a rifle in my collection for defensive purposes. This would be my only rifle BTW....I'm mostly a pistol shooter.

4. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
  5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    That link appears to be a complete Noveske rifle for about $500 off MSRP. It's still a chrome-lined bore, though.

A typical M16 profile AR with a decent quality barrel should be shooting 1-2 MOA at 200 meters, assuming you are able to do so, and you use decent ammo. The farther you want to reach, the more you'll need to spend on a quality barrel and quality ammo. I would start by looking at both Palmetto State Armory and Bravo Company, and buy a 18-20" upper that comes with a free-float rail of your choice already installed. Add an optic of your choice, get a complete lower or kit (and build your own), invest in some decent ammo (or dies and components if you are already set up for reloading), and get shooting.

6. Patrick R

Patrick R

Sep 20, 2009
    Youngstown, OH
    For use at 200 meters + :

Rock River National Match 20" barrel with flat top upper for a scope.

7. TunaFisherman

TunaFisherman Halibut Hunter

Dec 10, 2009
    West of the East coast
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  8. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
    great insight....thanks for the advise

9. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
    thanks TF. Yes...I've been following some of the PSA threads. They seem like a great bang for the buck.

10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

May 31, 2009
    thanks all. You are all gentlemen taking the time to give your input and share your knowledge. In a few days, I should be able to post with my end-result.

Thanks again.
    GD

11. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    For target shooting I'd look into a varmit style gun. Going to be better for your needs than a 16" tactical style gun. PSA has some nice prices on 20" SS uppers. Lowers are cheap and can be had numerous places including PSA.

12. DieselNut

DieselNut

May 21, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Don't forget spike's either. Aim Surplus usually carries some sweet deals so you might wanna check them out.