Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Choke for slug use

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by rmeron, Aug 1, 2010.

1. What is the preferred choke for slug use, F,IM,M,Cyl?
  2. method

Mar 27, 2002
    Cleveland, OH
    Modified and looser. Most smooth bore slug barrels will be cylinder or improved cylinder. Not all slugs are the exact same diameter either, they can vary a thousandth of an inch or two, so slug 'A' may prefer modified while slug 'B' prefers IC.

3. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    The reason you use a choke with bird or buck shot is to force the shot into a tighter pattern -

Since a slug is one chunk of lead - you would want the least restrictive choke you have - normally IC.

I can't think of any reasons a more restrictive choke would be helpful if you are shooting slugs.

4. aippi

Jun 12, 2009
    The best choke for slugs is Modified. It stablizes the slug as it leaves the barrel better then I/C.
  5. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    Remington - has this little note right on the side of box.

"Rifled slugs may be fired through any choke: however, improved cylinder will provide the best results."

If I was going to use slugs on a regular basis - I would test different chokes to see what works best -

Last few times I shot slugs it was out of my 870 - open cylinder 18.5 inch barrel - I only shot out to about 50 yards - I was surprised how accurate they were - even using this set up -a man sized target would not stand a chance under 50 yards.

I know some hunters use slugs out past 150 yards - but will guess they use a dedicated slug barrel & are not using open sights -
  6. Method and Aippi told you right.
    I would never use anything tighter than a Modified.
    You could shoot Cyl., I/C, or Modified. I would bet
    your best groups would be with I/C or Modified.
    If I were picking one choke it would be a Modified
    to shoot rifled slugs for the reason J.D.(Aippi) gave.
  7. GoBow

Feb 8, 2008
    For shooting slugs, and only shooting slugs, cylinder or improved cylinder.

But the beauty of a shotgun is being able to fire different types of shells. Buckshot out of a modified choke will still be on the target past 25-35 yds. And, you can still shoot slugs out of a modified choke without any problems.

It's all in what you intend to do. Best of luck!