close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Chip McCormick vs Wilson Combat mags

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by RMTactical, Feb 4, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
  2. glock2619

glock2619 Work in Progres

Jan 18, 2006
    Rapid City, SD
    I've had better luck with the McCormick Power mags than any other magazine-including the 47D's. I just don't seem to have any issue with them. I'm thinking I'm in the minority though as most seem to have excellent luck with the Wilson's.

3. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    I've had live round eject out of Wilson magazines.
    I've has springs push the follower out of CMC magazines. CMC springs that is, nothing that wasn't standard to the magazine.

4. In the early 90's I had (4) of the 47D's that I used for a lot of classes, IPSC stuff and just a ton of shooting. Along with those I had (2) CMC / Shooting stars that I used for dropping at the range. I never had a problem with either thru close to 20K although the Wilson's felt pretty soft. I think they are both fantastic but the Powermag seems to be a great mag for a great price, I bought my last ones for $22 in stainless at Midway and the new blue ones are under $20 when they have them in stock. They are the ones Hilton Yam reccomend and the ones you see with a lot of the custom builds. I think currently the Wilson's are a bit over priced.

As a last note when I did try to purchase replacement springs and followers for my 47Ds by calling Wilson. Their Customer Service refused payment and sent me (4) rebuild kits. :)

5. ColCol

ColCol

Apr 15, 2010
    TN
    I don't use either. I've found the 7 round CheckMate mags with 11# springs and dimpled followers work best for me.

6. Rally Vincent

Rally Vincent Bipolar

Feb 16, 2003
    The Bar.
    Love the Wilson 47D's. Never had a single problem with them.

7. glockin-45

glockin-45

Feb 24, 2009
    North Carolina
    Good question. Checkmate came with my DW,i don't which i'll get next?
    You got me swaying towards power mag though now.

8. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    Ive stuck with the Wilson's. Never had any issues with any of the 15-20 Ive owned, so why mess with it?

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Got a 100 plus Wilsons SS mags.I also have that many Colt 7rnders,I like ta keep it simple and reliable.'08.

10. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    Both run very well in all my 1911s (currently 10 I think?) except one---Springfield Loaded doesn't always lock the slide back on the last round with the Wilson. So, I'd give the edge to Chip but they're both quality magazines.

11. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Gotta love that Wilson customer service :)

12. cole

cole Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I've had good luck with both.

The CMC Power Mags have a better body and spring. Follower is not skirted so better to avoid aluminum frame 1911s without a barrel feedramp. I think they are a better mag overall. I don't currenly own any.

The Wilsons have a skirted follower and can be had with a flat metal basepad. I ran >6k through a 47D and it was fine when I sold it. Currently, I run Wilsons in my compact/carry 1911 mostly for the flat metal basepad.

IMO, Tripp Cobra Mags are better than both. Solid body, strong spring and superior follower. Basepads are bulky though. I've had 'em in full size and compact. Don't own any currently.

The Kimber Tac Mags are very good, too IMO. Good body, spring and follower, and allow totally flush fit (no basepad). I think these offer the best value ($15 or less) and I still have a few of these.

I run a couple cheap ACT mags at the range becauase they are/were cheap (if had for <$10) and work well enough as beaters. Okay body, not so great spring and follower and bulky follower like the Tripp mags.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2012
  13. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    I have never used the Wilsons but I only use CMC. Never had a non ammo related failure with them.

14. grecco

grecco

Sep 12, 2004
    philadelphia pa
    I have both,
    although both quality products,
    I never had an issue with Chip's.

15. d90king

d90king Training Junkie

Mar 21, 2011
    Kennett Square Pa
    They are both excellent 1911 mags. Buy a half dozen of each and see what your 1911's prefer, then stock up on the ones that work best for you.

16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

Apr 13, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I only use Wilson mags. The 47D's are great, but the ETM's are better yet still.

17. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    Both are great mags. Most of mine are Wilson. Except for the no name stuff I've ended up with. Lol. Never had a problem with them. That's what is in my carry gun.

18. DeadEye637

DeadEye637

Nov 30, 2011
    Both work and work well... I like and use the CMs power and power+

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    I have CMC Power Mags, plain jane Shooting Stars mags and the Match Grade mags. I have Wilson 47D, the EMT (or whatever they call it).

I think that I will stick with Mec-Gars.