close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Child finds gun, accidentally shoots himself.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by steveksux, Oct 14, 2012.

1. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    http://www.freep.com/article/20121012/NEWS03/121012064/pontiac-boy-shoots-self-in-mouth

Pontiac boy shoots himself in the mouth with fathers hidden gun. Can't be too careful when little kids are around...

Man had a concealed pistol license, but had the gun hidden under the bed where the kid found it. They are looking into suspending his permit, although it looks like an accident, the case has been sent to prosecutor for possible charges as well.

Kid should be ok.

Randy

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  2. Glad the kid will be OK. Could have been quite tragic.

As an optimist, I'd like to think the kid learned a lesson here... that when he grows up, he won't be someone who likes to shoot his mouth off. :supergrin:

3. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    And this is exactly why I think all gun owners with children should teach their kids how to properly use a firearm, to try and avoid this kind of situation. One of my buddies has a few kids, and you hand a firearm to his oldest, who is like 8, and the very first thing he does is drop the mag and check the chamber for a round. If all firearm owners were that good at teaching their kids about firearms, this wouldn't happen.

4. Drilled

Drilled

Dec 2, 2006
    Detroit
    Pontiac is little Detoilet with an attitude.

Need a gun there but not under the bed. Kid in house=gun safe and lots of education for children.

Hope the little one won't have any issues.

5. Skeet732

Skeet732 NRA Life Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Rhode island
    I raised two kids with guns in the house; gun safes and safety lessons monthly. No excuses not to do both. None, Zip

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
  7. rvrctyrngr

rvrctyrngr Senior Moment

Sep 15, 2004
    Gator Nation
    Sad for the kid. Hope he will be all right. Lock boxes cost less than a 12 pack...use 'em!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  8. FAS1

FAS1

Dec 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    With all the options available today, I really hate these stories. Most won't get a second chance.

9. FAS1

FAS1

Dec 4, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I agree on the education aspect, but that means very little to a 3 year old. 8 year old is a different story.

10. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    :shocked: Wow, C-1 around the house and the gun was, 'hidden' underneath the bed. What could possibly go wrong! :crazy:

11. Drain You

Drain You NRA member

Apr 25, 2012
    "hidden under the bed" is just one of the terms that makes me roll my eyes. More like "lightly covered by bed".

12. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    Caution:

Kids hear everything

Kids will find hidden items

13. DaneA

DaneA

Mar 7, 2011
    Chattanooga
    Fail 1) boy playing in parents bedroom
    Fail 2) "Hidden" under the bed
    Fail 3) GLOCK in C1 while "hidden" under the bed
    Fail 4) Not teaching the 3 year old to treat the gun like a hot oven.

It really isn't that hard to protect and educate children when it comes to guns. I have a 2 and 3 year old that neither will touch a gun at this point in their lives. I regularly associate the word NO with guns with them. My 3 year old will actually push the 2 year old away from a gun placed (safely of course) on the floor if he goes near it. Again, it really isn't that hard to keep your kids safe.