close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chiappa Rhino. Is it going to be a good gun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by nsl, Jan 30, 2012.

1. nsl

nsl
    Expand Collapse

I've looked at the new 4" model and thought it would be neat, but at $700-$800, I afraid its too expensive. I just wonder about its durability. I mean, 20 years from now and it breaks, would you be able to get it fixed like you can a S&W or Ruger?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

I would not try to fix it like you would a Ruger SP101.

The Chiappa Rhino's internals are unlike other revolvers and has been compared to the workings of a fine watch. Meaning its complicated with lots of moving parts.

Its a neat new revolver but I really don't know what the relability will be in 20 years, or if the company will still be around.

[​IMG]

3. KarlThomas

KarlThomas
    Expand Collapse

I'd be interested if it were $500.

4. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

They definitely seem a bit expensive for what you get. I've handled a couple.

5. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins
    Expand Collapse
    Slacked jawed

+1
    I would take the plunge if it was priced like other revolvers. Someone on GT has one, supposedly the recoil is dampened becuase of the lower bore. Less flip and more of a push. I handle a 2" model and compared it to a 2" Ruger SP101. While it is more blocky the Rhino is about the same size and weight as the SP101. Not bad for a 6 round .357, and it would make a great woods gun...just not for $750.

6. TN.Frank

TN.Frank
    Expand Collapse
    Glock4Life

Looks like an interesting idea, I just don't know if people are ready to accept something that looks to different.
    As far as price goes, I've finding out that revolvers are selling for a lot more then I think they should so $700 is on par with what a new S&W would run if not a bit less actually.
    Personally, I love revolvers but can't see spending more then $400 for any of em' even if I did buy a new S&W 686+, 2.5" back in the late '90's for $450, that was new, used I'd not go over $400 even in todays market and probably a lot less for a K or L Frame.

7. md2lgyk

md2lgyk
    Expand Collapse

I don't care how good the thing is, I'll never own one. It's UGLY.

8. J_Rico

J_Rico
    Expand Collapse

I have not even handled one and only read about them, but I would wait.

Recently it was reviewed in one of the gun rags. The reviewer had one lock up and he had to send it back. In my experience, the gun rags bend over backwards trying to avoid printing anything negative about a potential advertiser. If they actually print something negative about a firearm, I listen.

This is just the opinion of some stranger on the web, good luck whatever you decide. :wavey:

#8 J_Rico, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt
    Expand Collapse

Haven't handled or fired one. Not going to go out of my way to try and do so, either.

The design makes it appear as though it contains enough moving parts in order for it to qualify as an honorary Cuckoo clock.

Doesn't interest me.

I'm not a collector of curios and interesting mechanical widgets, though.

To bad it wasn't around when Firefly was in production. Probably make for an interesting base upon which to make SciFi & Steampunk prop guns.

10. cal45

cal45
    Expand Collapse

Well, I like mine. Not sure about 20 years down the road as I usually do not think that far ahead on gun purchases. I agree that it is expensive and has an odd (some folks say fugly) look to it, and there are a slew of lower cost revolvers out there from two main stay companies. But, it is very well made and fires full 357 magnum rounds in a very mild manner when compared to similar sized "normal" revolvers. Not for everyone but I like it and have been using mine as my CCW.

[​IMG]

11. racer88

racer88
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & SAF mbr

I've got one. Reviewed it here on GT. Long-term reliability for this unusual revolver with more complex mechanics remains to be seen, of course. But, I did chuckle at the comment about it being complicated like a fine watch or an honorary cuckoo clock. Don't 1911's break down into 30 components JUST to field-strip it? I don't own a 1911, but I seem to recall that (I may be wrong). But, I do understand that conventional revolvers are very simple, and that's considered a plus.

As for whether Chiappa will be around in 20 years... you might consider they've been around for 54 years at this point in time.

#11 racer88, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  12. Zagato

Zagato
    Expand Collapse

1911s are about the simplest autos out there.

The rhino looks intriguing. Id like to shoot one.

13. Midwest Doc

Midwest Doc
    Expand Collapse

I just ordered one. I like the looks, and the physics make sense.

14. cal45

cal45
    Expand Collapse

Size compaison chart to a S&W 640, which if I order a 640 Pro today from my local shop, the price point will be in the same range as my Rhino.

[​IMG]

15. NEOH212

NEOH212
    Expand Collapse
    Diesel Girl

Well, it looks cool anyhow. I wonder how it handles.

16. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin
    Expand Collapse
    JMB & MTK

Eight parts if you don't include the magazine.

Barrel
    Bushing
    guide rod
    recoil spring
    recoil spring plug
    slide stop
    slide assy.
    frame assy.

#16 Nakanokalronin, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  17. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Seems like a lot of the people who post on GT buy guns to look at, more than to shoot.:upeyes:

18. RYT 2BER

RYT 2BER
    Expand Collapse

I think I agree... I'd want it in one of the longer barrel variants and in stainless that gets up to somewhere in the $800-$900 arena.. just too much for that....

19. racer88

racer88
    Expand Collapse
    NRA & SAF mbr

It handles AMAZINGLY well. The physics of a lower bore axis (shooting out of the bottom of the cylinder) has a tremendous effect. On the second page of my review, you can read about it.

#19 racer88, Feb 1, 2012
  20. Psychman

Psychman
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

And then again a lot of people here buy guns to shoot, but would rather shoot a nice looking gun than a butt ugly gun. :upeyes:

#20 Psychman, Feb 1, 2012