close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Chest rig/War Belt.

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Fwdftw, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

So ive recently picked up a SOE Mookie War Rig Light.. From John @ OriginalSOEgear.com Great quality gear but.. to be honest.. i think its to much kit for me.. lol Idk im just a normal guy but wanting to take some classes in the future.. hence the purchase. Here is the set up i have, 8 Mag Carrier with PALS webbing on each sides [​IMG]

Possibly thinking about a war belt , or maybe a different rig.. wanting at the most a 6 mag set up.. maybe 4 with some room for other things. Im basically just looking to see what you guys over here are running in your classes? or basic range trips when running drills. Whatcha got for me fellow black riflers!:wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Facejackets

Facejackets
    Expand Collapse

Damn bro, six mags on the belt for classes?

I would go with two or three. Then keep your extra mags in a bag behind the firing line somewhere.

3. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

yea like i said man, new to this and a friend had that pieice of kit alrdy and it seemed like a great idea at the time lol

4. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Personally, i run a standard 210-round loadout (six+1 in the gun) simply because it's what I'm used to.

four on the belt, one in the gun will generally suffice for most classes and matches. OSOE makes some excellent gear (he has done a small custom piece for me) but the Mookie rig is overkill for anyone except infantrymen in most cases.

a Tactical Tailor Mini-MAV or 2piece MAV with a pair of mag pouches, a general-purpose pouch and maybe a pistol mag pouch would do for most things.

Currently I run a 1 piece MAV, 3 2-mag pouches, a GP pouch, pistol mag and a dump pouch, but again, my experiences and needs differ, this is replicating what I carried active duty except the dump pouch, so there's no thought involved for me in 'where's my stuff'. It's probably a little overkill, and I don't always have six mags on me, but the capability is there if needed.

5. Facejackets

Facejackets
    Expand Collapse

Are you/were you .mil or LE? That would make sense then. Since him and I are civilians, that's a lot of kit (read:****) to be dragging around. My last set up was just a duty belt with mag pouches and a holster. It made it super easy to get on and off. I also used a drop leg MOLLE panel with a triple AR mag pouch on it for a rifle class once and really liked it alot.

I'm not a huge fan of cheat rigs personally, but I am very interested in the BCM rig, and a few others similar.

6. jwhite75

jwhite75
    Expand Collapse
    Gubmint Worker

7. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

I was USAF Security Forces, so yes, i used to carry a lot of crap.

The Brokos belt is a good basic warbelt. If you just need some mags, a first aid kit, etc, it's awesome.

Chest rigs are good for fighting and carrying your crap all day. The BCM rig is excellent, I know the guy who created it.

Dropleg rigs tend to suck if you move farther than 20 yards, and running more than 2 mags on it will cause a lot of movement/rotation if you run.

I've only used them when absolutely necessary (running mags, grenades, radio, IFAK, etc+ extra) for lightweight nonessential stuff.

8. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

my original plan with the Rig i purchased was kinda a SHTF scenario.. having 8 mags, IFAK, possibly some pistol mags.. but im thinking maybe a simple war belt with 2-3 pmags.. 2 pistol mags.. dump pouch would be sufficient for range use? and classes?

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

That's almost identical to what I have. MAV with X-harness, two triple mag pouches, one double pistol pouch, IFAK and dump pouch. Honestly, though, I almost never use it. I got it on a whim, and it's nice to have just in case.

Most of the time, I think I'd grab my ALICE rig before I grabbed that TT rig. Faster on and off, and it didn't cost me anything.

10. KalashniKEV

KalashniKEV
    Expand Collapse

Y'know... there's nothing wrong with a Chinese 3-Cell chest rig... they used to be everywhere DIRT cheap, but you can still find good deals on them here and there.

I ran 8 or 12 mags in OIF and have the same setup today as my "heavy rig."

On my plate carrier or "light rig" I just have 3 + two pistol mags... nice and simple. Flat and lightweight.

Oh, but then I started running 3 gun with it and I have to have a million stupid shotgun shells on me now.
    :upeyes:

11. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

You mean one of these?

I think I have one of those laying in my storage unit, actually. :rofl:

Seems like every other trip to NC, I end up with one of my buddies giving me random crap to take home. That chest rig, M7 bayonet, random ammo, mags to play with/test out...

12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I wouldn't go with more than 4 mags on the belt unless you really, really have to.

When I was in Iraq I was running a 6 mag leg rig, and it really isn't very much fun. You can do it, but I would prefer not to run it that way if I didn't have to.

13. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

AK you mean 4 Total including pistol and Ar?

14. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

Agreed.

Even on a chest rig, I usually run 4 in the pouch+1 i the gun.

I'd only go up to six+1 if I knew serious stuff was going down, with more in an assault pack with a couple days sustainment load.

Three-four spare mags, 1 spare pistol mag, a GP type pouch for batteries, multitool, etc you might need right away, and an IFAK. That'd be what i would run on a warbelt.

15. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

Yea.. now i guess to sell this bad boy with the padded H harness Sigh.. lol

16. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

That's the one thing I see so many people skip. IMO, EVERYONE should have an IFAK on any kind of LBE they choose to own, as well as one with their regular range bag. If anyone is handling a weapon, there should always be an IFAK close at hand.

17. Fwdftw

Fwdftw
    Expand Collapse

agreed

18. MrMurphy

MrMurphy
    Expand Collapse

I don't have a formal IFAK yet, money has been tight the last 2 years, but every pack I have has a dedicated first aid pouch with the minor stuff (sanitizer, bandaids, sterilizing stuff, etc) as well as at least 1 compression bandage and some kerlix.

And i've had the basic lifesaver training on how to handle it. I'm no medic, but I have a clue.

Once money is freed up in a month or two a real trauma kit and pouch goes onto my MAV full time.

19. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

I was just talking about rifle mags.

my war belt, will never, ever, under any circumstances, not have my 2 pistol mags on it. They're ALWAYS there.

My belt set up was a little different, because it was entirely likely, I could be stranded alone in the middle of an Iraqi city. So I carried a bit more ammo than I really needed.

I run a ATS warbelt, with SOE cobra belt inside it. on the left side I had an HSGI ramp, with a TAG 2 rifle 2 pistol mag shingle. And my laser flare. On the Right I had my M-9 on a Safariland drop leg.

Optionally, with my go bag, I had a ATS drop leg, with TAG 6 mag leg rig, I could throw on.

It sucked to run with, I could do it, but man you knew that weight was there.

I just ordered a BFG six pack as my throw and go-6 mag set up instead, and I'll tweak the belt a little more.

20. liberty911

liberty911
    Expand Collapse

Agreed as well! I have my CLS bag in my truck, and just dug out my vest and my IFAK is still attached. I may throw it in my range bag. I ran 4 double pouches in Afghanistan and Iraq. It's a lot and gets old, but it's what we needed. Now, if I were to bug out, 2 double pouches should suffice.

By the way, I had a grenade pouch that I would keep my gloves in. I just pulled them out after not touching them since 08 in Iraq. HOLY CRAP, they smell bad!!! Just thought I'd share...