close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Check your .357 Magazines

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JBarbaresi, Jan 9, 2010.

1. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

As some of you might know, a few members have been having issues with their recently purchased G32's. It seems the rounds are nose diving and getting caught up on the feed ramp, failing to feed. For those of you who were not aware, here are a couple links to some of the threads started. Unfortunately, no one has been able to identify the problem and the owners of these guns have become very frustrated with their G32's, and with the glock brand.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109684&highlight=glock+32+range

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1105766

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126830&highlight=frtb

I too puchased a G32 in November, and during my first couple of range sessions was experiencing this same malfunction while using remanufactured ammo that is sold at the range. I would get 1 or two failures out of every magazine. When I would use WWB or Speer Lawman, the problem seemed to be less severe, but I would still experience a FTF maybe once out of every box. I knew this was not normal, so tried using one of the other magazines that came with the purchase. After firing about 700 rounds with one of the other magazines and no issues, using only factory loaded ammunitions (mostly WWB and Federal CQT Frangibles) I assumed it was the range ammo that was the culprit to my problems.

That is until I decided to use my G32 as a carry gun, and so tested out Speer Gold Dot in the magazine that had sinced functioned flawless. The second shot out of the mag jammed on the feed ramp. I was pissed because at this point I was convinced that the range ammo was the problem. Out of 50 rounds I experienced 2 more FTF with the GD and the magazine that I thought had worked well up to this point. Needless to say, not good for an EDC weapon.

When I got home I examined my three magazines that came with the gun, and realized that all three were different. Two had a follower labeled #2, with one of those having the metal cutout on the front. The third, and the one I hadn't tried using yet had a follower labeled #1. The main reason I hadn't tried to shoot with the #1 follower is because I knew the #2 were the most updated version being offered by glock. After a couple more range sessions using nothing but the #1 magazine, and 300 rounds later, I still have not had a failure with it. I decided to test out some more of the range ammo since that produced the most issues in the past. After shooting 3 magazines through the #1 and not getting a single failure, I decided to again try one of the magazines with a #2 follower. In the first 13 rounds fired I had 2 FTF with the round getting caught on the feed ramp just like before. I went back to shooting the ammo with the #1, and no issues whatsoever.

At this point I am almost certain the FTF issues are being caused by the magazine, either by the different followers or by something else they changed along with them when they updated the follower, i.e. the springs or some other internal factor.

It would be helpful in diagnosing this problem if everyone could check your G32 magazines and let me know what number follower you have, and if you have had any issues with them. I also have Glock involved working on this issue as well so if we can come up with a diagnosis I can also let them know.

Also, I own a G19 and G23 so I don't want to hear that technique or limp wristing is the issue, as both of those have functioned flawlessly in over 2000 round through each.

Here are some pics of my 3 different magazine, as well as my feed ramp for you to all compare to. If you see any differences, please let me know.

2. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

here is what the malfunction looks like...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Thanks for the heads up. :wavey:

4. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

27 views and no one has any G32 mags that they can check the follower #'s on? I don't think its asking too much, and it could really help those of us who have been having issues figure out whats going on with the recent G32's.

#2 followers- failure to feed
    #1 followers- no issues

that's all I'm asking for so I have some numbers to bring back to glock and be able to say "here, this might be the problem..."

thanks.

5. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

Sorry, I've only got a 31. I'm interested in this thread though.

6. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

I just went to check for you. All 8 of my G32 mags are loaded, so no help. However, I've never had a feeding problem with any of them.

7. Bapple

Bapple

I have 3 G32 mags, 2 of them with #1 followers and 1 with the #2 follower. Haven't had any issues with them but I will keep an eye out for sure.

FWIW, my G33 has 3 mags with #2 followers that have all been 100% with around 500 rounds thru them all.

Good luck and let us know what Glock has to say, very interested.

If I need to switch all my .357 sig mag followers to #1's, I def wanna know.

Thanks

8. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

thank you for the replies. today i made a "short" video explaining the issue, as well as capturing it during a shooting session. the link is below but it is still processing so may be a couple hours before it is an operational link. thanks and let me know what you guys think about this problem. please read the video description before commenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_0eQ8gn9c

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

I have a 2009 manufacture date Glock 33. Both mags included are the #2 followers. I have had no issues.

:dunno:

I would call Glock to see about sending it in for warranty service. It's probably a problem with the gun rather than the mags. They should fix it no charge.

10. OMEGA5

OMEGA5

For what little it's worth, on all 8 of my m33 and m31 mags
    are marked 357 on the follower and I've never had a FTF with either.
    Dano

11. Glockaholic

Glockaholic Millennium Member CLM

Same here. In addition, within the past two weeks I purchased 4 additional mags and all have the #2 follower.

I will check my G32 mags tonight. I hope this helps. :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  12. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

thanks guys i appreciate all the feedback. keep it coming though, the more input i can get from everyone else's experiences the easier it will be to figure out if maybe there was just a bad batch of g32 magazines at one point, or if all the newer ones are creating issues.

the author of one of the threads linked in my OP, kentuck_guy, went through 3 glock 32's in the past couple months. all three were doing the exact same thing and he thought it was a defect in the guns. he also told me that all of his magazines had #2 followers in them. unfortunately i can't have him test a different follower because he no longer owns a g32, he sold his latest one out of frustration and picked up a g19.

13. Whazoo

Whazoo

With 2 G31's and a G32 I have NEVER had a malfunction..., I have only fired 3K + (most out of the G32)...so I don't really have a high round count. To date the .357 Glocks have been more reliable than my G22 and G23's...

14. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

what are the follower numbers in your G32 magazines? .357 SIG should be more reliable than a straight cased round any day of the week. unfortunately for many of us who have purchased G32's lately this is not the case.

maybe I am reading your post wrong, but since i feel like you are questioning the concept of a G32 having reliability issues, I will again post the video that I made today and ask you to watch it if you haven't already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW_0eQ8gn9c

15. greyeyezz

greyeyezz

MEN series, 9-9-08 BOD. I have six 13rd mags with #2 followers and no metal cutout. Also have four 15rd mags with exactly the same #2 followers. Pistol has extremely low round count, 400 rds with zero malfunctions. I have fired 9 different types of HP and FMJ ammo, even mixed them up in the mags without issue.

Hope this helps.

16. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

Ill check mine tonight when I get home

17. The AmBASSaDEER

The AmBASSaDEER

The two that I keep with me are 13rnd #2's no metal cut out. Havent had any trouble outta them but have had them for close to 2 yrs.

Will check the rest later..

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  18. JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi

yes this does help, thank you for posting. my magazine with the #2 follower and metal cutout went about 600 rounds without any issues. I thought it worked fine until the day I decided to shoot Speer GD through it. In 100 rounds I had 2 of these feeding issues with it. I haven't shot it much since then because I've been feeding as many rounds through the #1 follower as I can to make sure it doesn't cause any malfunctions. I was intending this gun to be my EDC, which is why I am trying so hard to figure out what the real issue is and get it fixed. As long as I have at least 1 magazine that I know is 100% reliable I will feel confident using it.

even the magazine i used in my video has worked better with some brands of ammunition i've tried with it, but even 1 failure out of every 1000 rounds is no good for a self defense weapon, and not typical of a glock.

19. Spike32

Spike32

I'll have to check my G32 mags when I get home...I have a bunch of them. I have never had a failure that I have attributed to the mags. The few FTF's I have had have been with manufactured ammo...never with factory ammo...and we're talking at least 3,000 rounds.

20. hurley842002

hurley842002

I've got three mags marked 1 and two mags marked 2. Two of the number 1 mags I shoot with and carry with, on a regular basis, and have never had any problems with them. I will ocassionally carry the other 1 marked mag, in addition to the other two (depending on how far from home i'm going or what part of town i'm in). I can honestly say, i'm not sure if i've ever shot the number 2 mags. Not sure if this helps, but i've never had any problems with the number 1 mags. Next time I shoot, i'll bring the number 2 marked mags and see if I have any issues.