close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Check this out!

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Aug 7, 2012.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    This freaks me out big time. One of my brothers e mailed me yesterday and told this story. We lived in Meade KS (Southwest KS) One time my parental units and some of my older brothers went to Wichita, when the weather was nice we would have picnics rather than eat out so dad would save money. On the way home they stopped just outside Kingman for a picnic lunch, whilst they were eating an 18 wheeler pulled into the rest area, my brother, Ken who was 8 at the time loved 18 wheelers more than anything and he ran over to have a look see. The truck driver talked with, Ken for a minute and said it appears that you love trucks, and that you all are going the same direction as me, would you like to ride with me to Greensburg(which is an hour away) Ken went and asked dad and he let him ride with the guy. I know the 60's was a whole different Ara but to let you 8 year old son ride with a complete stranger is kinda out there:alex: Thankfully nothing happened and Ken enjoyed the hell out of that ride:supergrin:

2. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Phila, PA
    OMG what the hell:shocked: Not in a million years and I would ask the truck driver WTF would he even ask that:steamed: I just got chills up my back thinking of how wrong that could have went:crying:

3. Toyman

Toyman

May 6, 2003
    West Michigan
    Wow, they must have been hungry. LOL

4. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    There are no more nut cases out there now than there were in the past. The media fear mongers just make it seem like there are.

5. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    I'd caveat that slightly--the proportion of nutbags isn't any different, but there are more of them now because there are more people in the US now.

But yeah, no way in hell I'd let a random truck driver drive my kid.

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    When I was in Jr. High school I used to hitch hike some weekends. I did this for fun. Never had a destination in mind, and after one day I would go to the other side of the road and start back.

I have had rides with regular people, Highway Patrol (don't tell), OTR truck drivers and city cops (don't tell).

I never had a bad, or even a worrisome experience with any of them. I especially like to ride with the truckers through the river valleys and watching them constantly shifting the manual. I learned about multi speed axles and how to double clutch.

This was in the 50's and everybody I rode with was a gentleman and kind to a stranger. We never heard bad stories about hitchhikers back then. Still, some people didn't like it.

I never was picked up by a female. Even then, they had reason to be cautious.

I had parts of road that was so deserted that the HP picked me up and took me down the road a ways, where I could more easily pick up a ride.

Those were good people and good times.

7. Mr.Pliskin

Mr.Pliskin

Apr 10, 2009
    TX
    WOW...Just be glad he wasn't fascinated with ice cream trucks.

8. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    That's the truth my friend:alex::rofl:

9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Coma's are a useful thing, huh my friend:embarassed::rofl:

10. BuckeyePPC

BuckeyePPC

Jun 26, 2001
    SE AZ
    Okie,

I think you meant comma's but I like yours better. :supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

Aug 16, 2001
    Taunton, MA
    "Eetz not a comah!" :rofl:

But back to the topic at hand:
    "Do you like Gladiator movies?"

We lived in a more innocent time.

12. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    Yeah, the media has got people freaked out.

Back in my day, when walking to school through the Ford Engineering complex, sometimes random people would offer us kids a ride, and we never hesitated to accept.

Different days now, too much paranoia, and human relationships are being strained because of it. I can think of really neat people I met as a kid in my neighborhood, because walking up to a "stranger" (neighbor) was no big deal. I met one of the technical editors for Car & Driver magazines that lived at the end of my block, who was later killed doing a top-speed test in an AMG Mercedes.

Now, with the news and other media outlets distributing fear-mongering to sell advertising, everyone is afraid of everyone else. You can see that a lot here, nooooo trust what-so-ever, lots of negativity about other people in general.

13. devildog2067

devildog2067

Apr 20, 2005
    Chicago
    And every once in a while one of you kids would disappear... just sayin'.

There weren't, and still aren't, a lot of sickos out there, relatively speaking... but there have always been some.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Apr 7, 2011
    Arlington, VA.
    No different than any other time in this country's history. Just a certain percentage of the population.

No reason, other than the media, for the rampant paranoia one sees today.

Conservative gun lovers are just as apt to throw out the "it's for the CHILDREN" card, as liberals. Just too much paranoia all around.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  15. If my older brothers had been along on that trip, they would have figured out a way to get me on a truck going the opposite direction!

16. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I need help, huh:embarassed::rofl:

17. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Haven't seen any Gladiator movies my friend:embarassed:

18. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

Jan 12, 2007
    outside the wire perimeter.
    "boy, I wasn't tryin to teach you how to swim" comes to mind.

Also, "breaker breaker, is anyone there, come on back and talk to teddy bear."

The guy might get put on a secual offender list just for asking a question like that nowadays Okie!

19. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    Good possibility my friend:shocked::faint:

20. SC Tiger

SC Tiger EL GATO!

Aug 27, 2011
    South Carolina
    Even in the 60s that is a bit much, but times were different back then. I don't know if there were fewer child predators, if we just didn't know about them, or if they tended to wind up in shallow graves more often.