close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cheap range ammo in MI?

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by Turtle13, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Where do you go for cheap .40 S&W ammo in mich. Also what kind? Just looking for range ammo.

Also, what are some of you using for self defense rounds?

2. TFin04

TFin04

Jan 15, 2007
    SE Michigan
    100 round value packs of Winchester White Box for $23.99 at Wal-Mart, best price you'll find for factory loaded ammo.

For SD, I have my 23 loaded with Gold Dots.

3. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Do they have the value pack in 9mm also? My wife needs some ammo too.

4. I'm all about Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart in both the 9mm and .40S&W. It ends up a bit cheaper than the WWB and it shoots cleaner for me. I think it's an all around nicer round.

For SD, I have carried the 165gr Golden Saber in my G27 and 180gr in my USPc. Given some of the testing I've seen I'm moving to the Federal HST 180gr in all my .40S&Ws. I'm using the 124+p HST in my G19.

5. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    You might want to look into reloading if you shoot that much .40, the prices are sky high.

6. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    .40 cal would be the last thing I'd want to reload.

Ammoman looks pretty good on bulk pricing.

7. Reputable reloads. And, check out the small bump for SHTF JHPs. I've never bought from them but I hear good things. They're local. I wonder if you could place an order and drive to pick it up to save on shipping.

http://www.qualityammo.com/pricing.htm

8. sportsmanguide.com has 250 round bricks of Wolf .40 for $47.97. Its cheaper per shot than the 500 or 1000 round bricks for some reason.

There are always coupon codes floating around for some added discounts which usually covers most of the shipping charges.

9. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    Why?

10. Yes, they do, and Wal-mart is still the lowest on target ammo, if you get the 100 round value-pack.

I think they have .45 ACP in 100 rnd. boxes as well, at most stores.

11. TFin04

TFin04

Jan 15, 2007
    SE Michigan
    .40 is considered to be a high pressure round and therefore more dangerous to reload.

I'd also say the majority of .40 shooters are shooting a Glock, which is known for not having a "fully supported" breech. That means there is room in the breech for the case to expand when it is shot. You can see a slight bulge in 40 cases that have been fired from a Glock. It has become known as the "Glock Bulge."

Some people say it isn't prudent to keep resizing that bulge as it will eventually weaken the case and cause a Ka-Boom (Glocks are also notorious online for blowing up :upeyes: )

Combine all of that with the fact that Glock is strictly against shooting reloads in their guns, you get a lot of armchair intellectuals in online forums telling you it's a recipe to blow up your gun.

There are, however, plenty of success stories on loading .40, but you know how that works. Bad news travels much faster than good.

I've loaded 40's through Glocks without a problem and am still very new to handloading. I'm getting away from the 40cal for cost/other issues and I would not recommend it to a beginner reloader, but it definitely can be done.

My 10 or 12 cents on the subject. Happy shooting. :)

12. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Don't take it as me swallowing the kaboom stories. I've just never reloaded and that would not be the place to start for me since the pressures are so high. With my luck I'd end up losing my freakin hand! :rofl:

13. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    I'm a handloader too and am aware of the issues you outlined in the post above (good post btw). I don't think the .40 is any harder/more dangerous to load than other rounds, but it requires careful attention to detail, just as any other round.

I don't currently load .40 (don't care for the round as a whole) but plenty of people I shoot with load .40 and run Sigs and Glocks without problems. However, if you're not going to pay careful attention to detail, you should not be reloading.

14. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    .40 can be downloaded to lower the pressures (that's a relative statment). Handloading isn't very difficult, the best way to learn is to find someone who has a press and let them teach you. That's how I got started.

15. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Southern US
    I have loaded thousands upon thousands of .40 and never had a problem. Be careful as with any other load and there will be zero problems. My best load is 8.2 AA#5 under a nosler 150 HP.

16. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    40s are the only round I have seen warnings for in reloading manuals. I do hot 44 mags and 45 colts but stay away from 40s. If I did shoot them I would very carefully track the times brass was reloaded and do good case inspections. 45 acp is nice low pressure. I usually lose the casing before it wears out.

17. TAC-GLOCK

TAC-GLOCK

Jul 23, 2007
    Macomb, MI
    Yes, Winchester @ $15.99 a couple weeks ago.

18. TAC-GLOCK

TAC-GLOCK

Jul 23, 2007
    Macomb, MI
    [SOLD]

I have some .223 for sale in Macomb, MI., if anyone is interested.

10-Boxes of 20, Remington UMC 55GR FMJ $6.00/box of 20

2-MegaPacks of 200, Remington UMC 45GR Hollow-Point $60.00/MegaPack of 200.

Equates to $ 0.30/round.

Thanks!

19. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    Price?