close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

cheap Compaq laptop goes wacky

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by cassandra, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cassandra

cassandra

Mar 28, 2007
    Montana
    I got this laptop a couple years ago, cost 450 and has a celeron..it's fine for what I need BUT I often get this crazy problem where my pointer opens up things when I just pass over the link, my caps function stops working, I get < instead of period, and worst of all, I get out of control highlighting. Just, everything highlighted so I can't delete or write or anything. I just have to shut it down.

What would cause a problem like that? Could it be overheating?

2. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

Sep 7, 2001
    Kokomo Indiana
    Does your laptop feel hot?

If it doesn't then it's probably not overheating.

Does the problem go away with a reboot?

It sounds hardware related to me.

3. wbgolden

wbgolden

Sep 16, 2008
    Hardware related, I'd agree. I'd suggest plugging a USB keyboard and maybe also mouse into it and see if it continues. It sounds like the strobing from the keyboard has gone wonky (for lack of a better word). So it's either going to be bad input from the keyboard/touchpad or (*gasp*) a motherboard on its way out.

With that said, I'm guessing I can expect a couple good years out of the $400 Compaq laptop I bought 6 months ago. :)