close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CHEAP bow target..

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by chevy01234, Sep 2, 2009.

1. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    I got bored and made a field point target instead of spending 40-80 bucks for a target. I got the idea from this link.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=892196

I didn't have any lumber laying around and I honestly didn't want to build one that big since I am planning on moving soon and they say it will easily be over 100 pounds, some upward of 500-600lbs when they are said and done. I wanted a small movable model that I could shoot today. :D

Started out with a vacuum bag and with spare pieces of carpet I lined the bag with one piece on each side of the bag. Then I stuffed and compressed old t-shirts, rags, plastic bags, and some pieces of carpet compressing each layer pretty good. I then put the bag in a cardboard box I had laying around that was almost an exact fit, I put carpet in the one spot that had a gap. After that I got the extra wide duck tape and wrapped the box to keep it from falling apart and then spray painted some dots on it. It is a great alternative to buying a target and CHEAP! I probably spent 30 minutes making this target and am out the price of a roll of duck tape and spray paint.

There is an in depth how-to on the link I put up on how to build bigger and more long term targets for pretty cheap, I plan on building a wooden model when I move. Not something you would want to leave out in the weather for sure since it is well a cardboard box with duck tape on it :wink: I shot it 56 times this afternoon and it held up great, stops the arrows awesome and arrows pull out even better. Here are a few pictures

[​IMG]

With the $20 target I bought from walmart that my bow blew through for a comparison. This target was ruined after about 30 shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

figured some of y'all that shoot would like to see the link anyways if you haven't..

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Chevy, Come on man. This ain't about that target. You just wanted to show off that new "TOY" again now didn't ya ? :supergrin:

Seriously. Looks good to me. Heck out hear we could'nt make it without pliers, bailin wire and duck tape !

I'm really impressed with that 75 yard shot you made with those 6 arrows in the bull ring. ha.

Your rig make mine look really plain.....

Good work Amigo. ;)

BTW. Nice lookin place ya got there, hope where your goin is just as nice.
    Good luck on your move.

CanyonMan

3. chevy01234

chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    mississippi
    75 yards! HA :wow: not me! I got some buddies that shoot long range practicing for fun but im working on my 40 and under groups. I have a recurve I bowfish with occasionally! I would love to get a nice one built just like I want it but unfortunately I have too many hobbies requiring ridiculous amounts of money as it is! Unfortunately the place I have is too expensive for just me right now and I need a little smaller of a place! I am looking at a nice house out in the country or possibly build a cabin on my farm and live out there. Not real sure what i'm gonna do but it's gonna be soon! My lease is out in October so I gotta figure somethin out quick.

4. Target, what you need is a deer. Now that would be a target for me ;)

Nice job. I have a big square cube block that's shoot up but still holding strong. How does the top and side panels if anything , goes with arrows getting jammed up in them?

My cube is nice, but if you miss the target center and get off the sides, you can get a stick really jammed up in the block.

On the 75yards thing, I try to stay under 75ft with my setup.

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Jul 26, 2002
    Guys..... Lighten up. I was just yankin Chevy's chain about the 75 yards ! :rofl:

I'm good out to a tad over 40 yards for bow hunting. That's it for me. I would rather have em closer.. ;)

Again, good luck on the move Chevy, and good shooting bud.

CM