Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Cheap 10mm ammo

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by HotRoderX, Jun 17, 2011.

1. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011

2. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
  3. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I don't have a 10mm I just noticed it when I went to order some 9mm ammo. I figured its crap ammo at that price but figured the brass could at least be reused a few times at that price.
  4. bush pilot

bush pilot

Jan 29, 2004
    The cheapest/best 10mm ammo I've found comes from my Dillon press .
  5. GTRhino24

GTRhino24 Blazin' 10mm x2

Jun 9, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    Agreed. I started reloading 10mm last week and already I've found I could never buy an off the shelf plinker ever again. The 10mm is too great of a round to be wasting time with glorified .40 rounds. Besides that, I can now make specific loads for my mood that day at the range.
  6. alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    and, another GTer gets it!!!:exercise::banana::cheerleader:
  7. oceanbob

Jun 26, 2010

True Dat..!
    The bottom line is if you're going to Run a 10MM for all the obvious reasons, you need to Reload.

Without my Dillon Room I couldn't FEED my Glocks. :supergrin:

8. GTRhino24

GTRhino24 Blazin' 10mm x2

Jun 9, 2011
    Hoover, AL
    You made me feel less bad about my addiction. Kinda the same way heroin addicts look at Keith Richards and say, "I got a problem, but that guy....":shocked:
  9. Maine1

Jul 20, 2007
    My g-20 has seen VERY few factory rounds. MANY of my loads, though.

regardless of caliber, reloading is the way to go.
  10. Rather than buy $200-300 worth of 10 mm ammo, I got these benches for the garage from Costco. $300 each and built like a brick shet house. I put some 4x4 framing and better caster wheels with locks (from Caster City website) to get the benches higher. Also, the wheels that came with the benches were crap. Will be mounting my Dillion 550B this coming week.

I got 10 mm, 500 S&W, 50 BMG, 32 H&R mag, 44 mag/special, and 300 weatherby. You just can't shoot calibers like this and continually get gauged on the ammo prices. Rolling your own will allow you to shoot better ammo at a fraction of the cost.

Got Dillion for the high volume pistol ammo and RCBS rock chucker kit with electric powder measuer/thrower for the other rounds. Will get the RCBS 50 BMG kit/press after I hone my skills a bit. I am done with buying ridiculously priced ammo. I have watched ammo prices go up and up over the years. Appears it is a continuing trend and I want no part of it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  11. JPP

Aug 12, 2010
    yup, can't beat reloading.

I can make 100 rounds for about $25 give-or-take, and it is HIGH quality stuff made from the best components available. Takes less than 2 hours of my time, is fun and satisfying.

12. My buddy has a Dillion 500B and can load 100 rounds in 15 minutes.

Can't wait to get mine set up later this week. All the stuff is at the bench, but my buddy is mule deer hunting in Wyoming. Relying on him to help me get the 550 set up properly.

13. JPP

Aug 12, 2010
    yes, true it doesn't take a lot of time if you have a Dillon.
    I have a turret press, and am very meticulous. Check, double check, measure once, then again....etc. I probably go overboard in my techniques, but I feel my handloads are 100% safe for me and my pistols.
    Besides, when I am loading I am not in a great hurry.

Deer hunting in WY is awesome. Done it twice, great experiences.
  14. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    If you want good inexpensive 10mm ammo then reload, it is fun too. :supergrin:
  15. post-apocalyptic

post-apocalyptic magnifi ba$tard

Jul 27, 2011
    I'd love to get into reloading myself, not just 10mm but .308 as well. I also regulaly shoot 7.62x39, but it's not worth reloading for. Right now I'm renting a place without an adequate shop, so it's not really an option.. yet.

At least there are better ammo choices available these days.. I'm especially impressed with the rounds I've bought from Underwood Ammo, (180gr @ 1300fps, no bullsh1t, unlike Double Tap); $24 per box of 50. Their 165gr JHPs fly at 1400fps, and they sell for $26/box. This is the only reasonably priced truly full-power, (but not nuclear like Swamp Fox), 10mm I've found. Thank God it's available, otherwise I'd be stuck with more expensive, mediocre factory loads like UMC, BVAC, or the rather weak Prvi Partizan.

I still have a couple hundred rounds of the PPU. It's basically a longer .40 S&W. I wouldn't want to be shot with one, but it doesn't even begin to take advantage of the 10mm's potential. The casings just dribble out when fired from a G20, (makes the brass easy to collect, at least :upeyes:), though I should specify that I've encountered no malfunctions.

Buy a box of the Prvi and see what you think.. just don't do what I did and buy 500 rnds based on some ignorant assumptions regarding 10mm performance. :whistling:
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

16. That mindset of reloading appeals to me as well. Measuring case weights, OAL, etc.. is relaxing. I will be doing plenty of tedious reloading with my rock chucker, forster case trimmer, bullet seating micrometer dies, etc.. Will be loading 300 weatherby match grade ammo with 168 gr Hornady A-max polys, 500 S&W bear ammo for Alaska, 45-70 for the same, 32 H&R mag for my pocket, etc.. I got the Dillion after watching my buddy crank out 40 S&W ammo like a factory in China. Seems he can load 400+ rounds per hour (when I am not talking to him). ha ha..