"Cheap" 00 Buck Test for HD

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by uaengineer, Feb 17, 2013.

1. .....

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 uaengineer, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    .25 ACP: Cheap, good reload with buckshot Reloading Jul 15, 2011
    Cheap Green Laser Tactical Shotguns Sunday at 1:16 PM
    Glock 21 buy cheap online not used only new. General Glocking Jul 23, 2015
    Suggestions for a CHEAP Double Barrel Shotgun in 12 gauge.... General Firearms Forum Jul 13, 2015
    Cheaper Alternatives to Verizon FIOS The Okie Corral Jul 4, 2015

3. Nice results. Thanks for sharing. tom.:cool:

4. Dogbite

Dogbite DNT TREAD ON ME

Nice work man, thanks! I love to see this kind of thing.

5. Buffering

Buffering The Cooler

Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I'm curious to know what the max, min and median pattern diameters were, if avalaible.

I've shot most of those as well as the premium stuff and I remain of the opinion that at bedroom length any of those loads were be sufficient. It looks like the patters (kind of hard to tell) are within 6-8 inches at that distance.

6. I just have to toss out the fact that the "1 inch per yard" estimate has been mis-quoted from what I recall reading the first time I saw it. IIRC the original statement I saw in print said that was the average spread PAST about 8 yards if I remember correctly, but it didn't imply "from the muzzle"

7. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

This is why I tell people you need to pattern your shotguns.

Personally, I like the Rio and Winchester patterns the most. At 15 yards inside the house that's the kind of pattern that optimizes your ability to achieve a lethal hit with less than perfectly centered shots. But it also gives up very little to really tight patterns in terms of good pellet density in the center of the pattern.

You like tight patterns? Take a .410 shotgun to the skeet range one day and come back and tell me how good you are with tight patterns on moving targets.

Tight patterns suck--especially at close ranges!

#6 Big Bird, Feb 17, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  8. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

I'm going to the range tomorrow. I'll try some other ammo and post pics.

9. This statement sounds more true when you think about it. I had just thought I'd heard something similar in the past. I think a lot of people have concerns about over penetration when they have kids in other bedrooms or have neighbors close by. In this case, I think most people want the tightest pattern possible without the fliers. I think any of these loads would get the job done up to this distance (25 yd test coming) but it's also the shooter's responsibility to be wary of collateral damage if the possibility exists.

10. Rooster Rugburn

Buckshot is my SHTF round, meaning someone is in my home. A tight pattern at close distance holds more energy to be transferred to the target, to make him DRT and make his buddies the same or gone.

Everyone has their own viewpoint, but at 25 yards, how is that individual a threat? If he is, I have 6 slugs on the buttstock for that engagement.

11. I don't have to waste anymore ammo for this thread. Some people are simply curious as to what their gun will do at that distance when the blue helmets show up. :thumbsup:

In other words, this ain't meant to be scientific or grounds for a flame war and also why I don't post what ammo I use so someone can tell me how bad my choice is. TIFWIW

#10 uaengineer, Feb 17, 2013
  12. Rooster Rugburn

I don't think at 25 yards, buckshot is going to have much effect on blue helmets.

Something that would be interesting, would be a comparison of the patterns with a rifled barrel vs a regular barrel. I've always heard a rifled barrel would create a tighter pattern. I have an extra barrel I could cut, but ammo shelves are so bare, I couldn't find enough different brands to compare.

May be a thread for the future, when the Obama panic is over.

#11 Rooster Rugburn, Feb 17, 2013
  13. I don't know where you heard that about a rifled barrel but it is so wrong it's not funny.

the rifled barrel spins the shot cup and shot and produces a "donut" pattern much wider that a smooth bore with a hole in the center.

That is why the single shot .45/.410s have a device that attaches to the muzzle when firing shot loads. It isn't a "choke" as some think, it actually stops the spinning of the shot cup to prevent the effect.

14. I'm not that picky at 15yds....I'd take any one of those.

15. Rooster Rugburn

That would make sense, but I'm not an expert. But would the rifling spin the rounds when the rounds are not in constant contact with the rifling?

I might just cut a barrel down after all. I don't have but a couple brands of ammo right now, but it might still prove interesting.

16. If you think about it, the rounds only go the direction you want because they are forced to by the barrel, IE they have contact with the barrel and if there is rifling in the barrel, obviously with that s well.

I have tested it with .the aforementioned .45/410s

17. I have been shooting S&B 00 9-pellet buck lately, and like it a lot. I just got some of their #4 buck, but I haven't tried it yet.

18. Scored my 3 box limit of Winchester 00 at Wallyworld today. They had a bunch of it. Great field test!

19. Fredder

Fredder TANSTAAFL

I like the results!

Sadly there was only 1 box of 00 at Wally when I was there.

20. Great post! Bottom line; ANY of them would work just fine. I don't think there is a practical bit of difference. PMC looks a little looser, Fed a little tighter.

I honestly like slightly loose for indoor work. But again - is there a practical difference? Not IMO. However - there are clearly differences.

21. Texas357

Texas357 Señor Member
    CLM