Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Chats With Enthusiasts Who Do Not Carry

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by random southpaw, Mar 24, 2012.

1. random southpaw

random southpaw

Nov 7, 2011
    Just this week, I have enjoyed two good chats with some folks who enjoy shooting. However, I was a bit surprised to learn that neither of them has gotten their permit to carry concealed.

With the surging growth in the number of people that are choosing to get their permit, this took me off guard.

I just wanted to ask if this is reflected in your experiences also, or if you are seeing more folks get their permits.
  2. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles
    I would think the majority of people who own guns do not have a permit.

Of those who do, it would be interesting to know those who carry always, sometimes, never, never carry but lie and say they always do, and those who are 5' 3", 145 lbs and appendix carry a G20 in just basketball shorts and a white t-shirt. :whistling::wavey::dunno:

All kidding aside, I never ask people about it. I know a couple close friends that I shoot with who carry but otherwise, the first rule of fight club...

I will add that I did not originally intend to carry. I got my license because we have a law that you can only transport the unloaded handgun to and from the range, place of hunting or to and from a store or place of repair. Point A to Point B. I got my permit just so I wouldn't be in violation for stopping for a burger on the way back from shooting or any nonsense about my handgun not being far enough away from my ammo can in the cargo area. Later on I started to carry.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2012

3. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    I agree... I would bet most gun owners do not carry concealed... EVER. Of those that DO carry, I'd bet most do not carry full time, but rather "when they think they need to." Then there's the rest of us. :)
  4. chevy01234

Jul 19, 2004
    That is what I have noticed with folks a lot down here too. I am one of those "full time" guys though! I don't have many places I can't carry legally under my permit, those places I avoid like the plague anyways! I haven't had to "disarm" during day to day life except once since December and that was to mail a package at the post office.
  5. kensteele

Aug 3, 2003
    Leawood, KS
    I've been shooting gun at the range for a lot longer than I've CCW. And that includes most of my adult life. Never really crossed my mind while I enjoyed shooting at the range. It was probably after I stopped enjoying shooting at the local ranges.....
  6. HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    As hard as it is for some of us to believe, some folks choose not to obtain a carry license and I support their right to choose 100%.
    Let's face it, somefolks just don't want the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm, and in some cases it definitely changes your lifestyle.
  7. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

In MN a permit to carry is also a permit to acquire (buy) a handgun.
    A permit to acquire a handgun is only good for one year. A permit to carry is good for 5 years.

I know folks who get a permit to acquire a handgun every year, but have never considered getting a permit to carry.

I point out to them it's more cost effective to get a permit to carry as it's both good for 5 years and cheaper over 5 years than getting a permit to acquire every year.

Several have gotten carry permits based upon this advice.

I figure having more people with permits is a good thing, and there's more than one way to skin a cat.

8. Sounds like Maryland laws.....if so how did you get your carry permit I hear its next to impossible to get one in Maryland

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  9. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Aug 20, 2010
    Out On The Tiles

I don't live there. :supergrin: :wavey:

I went to my local state rep's office. The sherrif has a deputy go there on certain nights to assist the citizens with getting their permit. I filled out the form, showed ID, he took my picture and my fees. Two weeks later he called and said I could drop by to pick it up.

We just have a couple annoying laws like the one I noted above.
  10. I know handfuls of avid hunters with the best of the best firearms that don't have a permit to carry and would never even consider it.

11. slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    My girlfriend loves shooting (and using up all my ammo!!) but she has no interest in carrying. I'm still working on her though. :tongueout:
  12. Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    I have owned and used a wide variety of firearms for over 30 years. I have not ever and do not now carry a cw. The current noise over cc is in my opinion hype pure and simple. For some, it simply reflects their own Chicken Little view of life. For some, it helps them deal with their "gadgetis." The vast majority who buy cc handguns do not have any training, etc. It would be surprising if they even continue to cc, once the new has worn off. For those who have a actual need to cc, more power to them. I'm glad the law support their cc. For those who simply want to, fine. Again, I am glad the law supports their cc. But those who cc comprise a very small portion of the total population of firearm owners and users. It should not then be surprising to discover that many many firearms enthusiast do not cc... and may not even keep a firearm loaded in their home.
  13. slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Funny, some people thought seatbelts were all hype when they first came out too.
  14. I have a CCL but seldom CC. I live in a rural area/community that probably never had an attack outside a bar or domestic situation. I do have it for 3 reasons. The first is transporting firearms to and from the range. Secondly for hiking, especially on snowshoes. And finally when I'm in a position of having valuables (cash and guns) that others would know about.

I try to get to the range weekly so transporting guns is common. I hike and snowshoe in northern WI where they have wolf packs and bears. Since I'm on private property where they have been sighted frequently, precaution is prudent. The range I go to is a private club, which I'm at alone frequently. You are at the range closer to a larger town with firearms so I worry about being attacked for the guns. (maybe I'm paranoid).

I know several people who that are gun owners and see no need for a CCL. In WI, CCL does provides a few added benefits for the hunter. I'm surprised more have not applied.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  15. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    The only people who should carry defensive handguns are the ones who have studied the issues and technicalities thoroughly. We don't need raw rookies carrying handguns.
  16. Z28ricer

Aug 4, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Leave it at home sometimes ? I think not.

Hell I carry to and from the bathroom.
  17. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

Jan 27, 2009
    In Connecticut, the only reasonable way you can purchase a handgun (besides obtaining the pointless "eligibility certificate") is to posses a permit to carry.

As such, I know many people who have a permit, and own handguns/firearms which they shoot regularly... but they do not carry. Some of them conditionally, but the majority of them not at all.

While I always carry, I respect others decision to not do so. With carrying a handgun comes huge responsibilities and it is up to everyone to make their own individual choice about whether or not they are prepared to take that on.
  18. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    Let's have some fun with this:

The only people who should VOTE are the ones who have studied the issues and technicalities thoroughly. We don't need raw rookies VOTING.

Other words suitable for substitution might include:

and so on....
  19. slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    And who would you propose have the authority to decide whether you've studied enough or not?
  20. I shoot competitively (IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge and IMGA 3 Gun) with a lot of guys who are absolutely amazing pistol shooters who never put a carry gun on when they leave the range and wouldn't even think about it. Some people have brown eyes, some people have blue eyes.

Sheep, sheepdogs...