close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Charter Arms Bulldog or Taurus PT145

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Bilbo Bagins, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Bilbo Bagins

Bilbo Bagins Slacked jawed

Sep 16, 2008
    Out of these two discount big bore pocket guns which would you recommend?

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Probably the Bulldog if I were forced to choose between those two.

3. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I use to love my 44SP Bulldog. Great carry gun.

4. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Bulldog, all the way! I'm tired of all the crap Charter Arms has gotten in the past for their guns. They're not making POS guns anymore; their quality control has gotten considerably better. Take a chance on the .44 Special from Charter.

5. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Nov 7, 2001
    USA
    I have a Charter Arms Bulldog revolver and I recommend getting one.

6. elde

elde Lifetime Member

Aug 31, 2008
    Tx
    Yep, the new and improved 3rd or 4th reincarnation of Charter Arms is making good guns. Might want to check out HotPig's prices on the MAH Supplies website. He's a site supporter.

http://mahsupplies.net/

7. true believer

true believer Moderator

Apr 17, 2000
    drexel hill pa
    ditto!!
    :cool:

8. ctfireman

ctfireman

Feb 13, 2010
    Bridgeport, CT
    Bulldog. Charter may not be smith & wesson but they do a good job & stand behind their products.

9. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    I guess I will be the loner Taurus vote. My good friend has a PT145 Millenium Pro and it is a great gun. It shoots nice and is a small package that holds 10+1 of .45 ACP. Similar to Glock 30 without the massive chunkiness. Just my opinion.

10. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Jul 14, 2008
    Let's say money was 'no object.' Would you bother doing something this to a Taurus?

[​IMG]
    Mag-Na-Port Custom 'Backpacker' (NOTE: More pics @ LTW forum OP)

Neither would likely be a very good 'investment,' but I would go with the Charter Bulldog for actual use. ('Custom' or not.)

For one thing, it's practically guaranteed to work.

Not so sure I would 'trust' a PT145. (Again, 'custom' or not.)

11. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Big Thicket, Texas
    Go with the Bull Dog. Mine is easy to pocket carry in a jacket, or even a back jeans pocket.

I do have a PT140, which is also concealable, but not as easily as the 44sp.

12. Taurus PT145 but both would do the job. Mostly because while i like .38 special out of a snubby even the P+ stuff..I DO NOT really like .357 out of it and even more would not be a "fun" gun for me to shoot. Ive shot .45 ACP out of the PT145 and its a real decent shooter for the size of the gun VS the round. I want the one I can shoot more and practice with more. Actually ive been looking at a smaller CC .45 ACP at a reasonable price...since i cant find a Glock 36 and wont own another glock thats out, M&P still too much as same thing cant find one used at a good price..but that PT145 new I can afford that...It will most likely be my next CC gun in the rotation..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  13. Fastbear

Fastbear

Dec 21, 2007
    Have a Taurus 44 Special and a 6 year old Bull Dog which is being used this weekend in a DeSantis revolver owb. The Bulldog works fine and has always been reliable just not a normal carry weapon for me. The 44 Taurus is bigger and normally only used at the range-nice gun.

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon WTF EREN?!

Aug 2, 2004
    Vancouver, WA.
    Ack! After reading this thread, I went on a Bulldog image hunt. Now, I've got to have a new Charter in .44 Special!! I'm thinking about selling my S&W 642 (and gear) for it. After all, I hardly ever carry the Smith anymore; a Glock sits on my hip right now.

But it is nice as a pocket gun. If only the Charter was THAT much smaller...:sigh:

15. CaptainO

CaptainO

Feb 5, 2016
    Jade Falcon: Buy the "Classic" Bulldog! It has the original "tapered barrel" of their 1973 "first run" revolvers. It's blued steel, and wil evoke memories of the early 1970's, only better!

Then go buy yourself a .45 ACP Pitbull... (What the hell, it's only money and you live but once)! :supergrin:

Jade Falcon likes this.