close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Charges Dropped Against Man Who Wore Gun In Theater

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by CA Escapee, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Glock_9mm

Glock_9mm

Jul 10, 2012
    California
    I can't say I agree with the timing of Mapes' choice to open carry, but I am happy to hear that he was not punished for open carry in an open carry state.
    Scott

2. Some people believe you should only exercise a right when it's socially acceptable.

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    How did he get made if he was concealing his weapon?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  4. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    The charge, based on the article "arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon in a liquor or beer establishment"

Based on Handgunlaw: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/colorado.pdf

Carry in Restaurants that Serve Alcohol "Yes"

Is it possible for the officers to make a call in cases such as these to confirm the charges fit? Would it have helped any if the person being investigated requested a call to the supervisor, before being placed under arrest, if they knew their actions were not against the law?

5. Get made???

BigDeeeeeeee - "Be safe only when it is socially acceptable" Yeah right! Let them believe what they want. Why carry anytime since it is not 'socially acceptable'.

6. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    He wasn't. He was open carrying.

Bill

7. Misty02

Misty02

Aug 25, 2008
    Florida
    He was OC as allowed in his state and as he had done in previous visits to the same theater.

Would I have done it, even if legal, at this particular time? No, I don’t believe it was prudent. But I’m aware it’s not about what I believe or feel is right. There are many things that other people do I believe is in poor taste, inconsiderate and even morally reprehensible, but they still have the legal right to do it.

8. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    I would imagine it would be a good thing to mention it to them to get it on the record. As it stands now Thornton PD has egg on their face.

I was astounded by the way the charges changed over time. I figured it was a case of the PD throwing as much mud at the wall as possible and hoping some of it would stick.

Off on a tangent, there's an organization in CA that is defending gun owners that are arrested, detained, etc. by the police when in the end all charges are dropped. (maybe after a criminal court case) Their tact is: 1. To get the attention of the city via a monetary settlement, 2. Pointing out to the PD just how poorly written the laws are, (good intentions don't make good laws,) and 3. Making their department spend time having their officers better trained in the laws on the books, thus saving money in the long run.

Bill

9. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    +1

Bill

10. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Ah. The ambassadors of our second amendment.

Let me pose a question. And don't read into it, don't infer more than I'm asking. Just mull this over.

When is the last time anyone heard a story about something POSITIVE coming from someone open carrying rather than concealed carrying?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  11. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    My thoughts exactly.

12. Sendarr

Sendarr

May 12, 2004
    Tampa,Florida
    Let's say we go back a few years and I pose the question.. when was the last time anyone heard a story of something POSITIVE coming from blacks or women standing up for their rights?

Perhaps I ask you to provide an instance where you went to the movies and didn't play with yourself in the parking lot, can you prove it?

Can anyone prove the signs and stickers around their house for their security systems are helping to stop burglers?

You don't REALLY hear when anything positive comes from CCW either. You do however, hear when someone goes on a shooting spree and noone is CC'ing or OC'ing to do anything about it.

13. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    I just think that OC incidents make the rest of us look like dumb extremists most of the time. I don't want the 2nd amendment scrutinized because a bunch of OC'ers don't know how to act and make everyone else feel uncomfortable. CC just makes more sense to me at almost all levels.

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    When was the last time you read about "John Doe open carried today and nothing happened. No one looked crosseyed at him and no cop shot him on general principle"?

There's a reason you only hear about the things that have some sort of out of the ordinary reaction to them.

I really don't give a damn if you OC, don't, like it or do not. I don't care. Your argument is not valid, though.

15. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    I don't disagree with any of the points stated above, but do seem to see attention drawn at times to OC'ers. I don't care about it per se, but just don't want it to affect gun rights in a negative way. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

16. jph02

jph02

Jun 10, 2012
    Michigan
    Mr. Mapes has a CCW and should have CCed. He chose to OC at a Colorado theater, so he got the attention he deserved, IMHO.

Based purely on CO gun laws, he should not have been arrested, but I don't know the circumstances and actions that took place when he encountered the police.

17. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

Sep 22, 2011
    Naw Cackalacky
    My state doesn't allow CC at any venue where people assemble and pay admission. I assume that might apply to OC as well, but don't actually know for sure, since I never OC and haven't checked laws regarding it.