close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Changing calibers-maybe

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Fisherman, May 4, 2012.

1. Fisherman

Fisherman

Thinking of expanding my barely average GSSF shooting skills. I'm still a newbie to this but am loving the sport the places and the people. I'm finding, though, that with my relatively small hands, I might be more comfortable with a smaller frame. (Currently shooting a 19) I'm giving some thought to moving over to a 36 but given that it's a serious expense I'm going to think it over for a while before doing anything. Anyone else made this move? Any thoughts?

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

If you only want to shoot Major Sub then the 36 is a good choice. There are no 10 or 10+ round mags for it so Majsub is all you could shoot. The G26 has 10 round capability and is legal in all but the Heavy Metal and Major Sub. Check out the Match Registration Form, it lists all Guns that are legal for each category. www.gssfonline.com has a wealth of info available.

Don

3. Melissa5

Melissa5

I shot my G36 at a GSSF match for the first time last weekend and really enjoyed it. Problem is that those plates are very unforgiving especially with only 7 rounds. I left 9 plates standing. :embarassed: My fault...not the guns fault.

If you look around, you can find a good used G36 and not break the bank.

Good luck and good shooting!

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I suggest a Gen4 G19.:wavey:

5. 9mmdude

9mmdude

If you are currently shooting a Gen3 19 then a Gen4 19 might be a little smaller for your hand.

The Glock 36 will only allow you to participate in one category.

Danny R said it best, if your 19 is a Gen4 stick with it. If it is a Gen3 practice and if it doesn't work out look at the Gen4.

My best scores have been with a Glock 19RTF2.

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I have used the following pistols in GSSF competition:

Gen3 G17
    Gen2 G19
    Gen3 G19 RTF
    Gen3 G17 RTF
    Gen4 G19
    Gen3 G26
    Gen1 G17L ported
    Gen3 G17L Unlimited
    Gen3 G34
    Gen3 G24C Unlimited
    Gen3 G30
    Gen2 G21
    Gen3 G37
    Gen4 G37
    Gen3 G38
    Gen3 G39

My best scores ever were with my 1996 Gen2 G19. I have very small hands and very short fingers.

7. Fisherman

Fisherman

I guess that the little voice telling me not to jump quickly was worth listening to. I already knew enough to "wait and see" and I will really hold off making any moves. Some different hand placement can surely be found and then, as with most things, practice is the answer to so many other questions.
    The gun I'm using, btw. is a Gen4-G19 and, aside from the obvious issue, I really enjoy it. Thanks for both the advice and benefit of your experience.

8. mike g35

mike g35

If you prefer a small grip then go with a Gen 4 model. The Gen 4 G34 I just bought is awesome. The last thing I would do if I was buying a gun for GSSF competition is change to a 40 or 45. There is not going to be any advantage to using the higher calibers unless you want to shoot major sub or heavy metal. The 40 is legal in all the same divisions as the 9mm but why shoot a 40 if you can shoot a 9mm, less recoil and less muzzle flip equals faster follow up shots. Why not get yourself a Gen4 G19 or G17 run it in AmCiv for a while, then later get yourself a Gen4 G34 for amateur comp.? I recently made the switch to Gen 4 Glocks by buying a gen 4 G34, I had a Gen 3 and there is no comparison IMO, I can feel the dual spring RSA working and my follow up shots turned from two slow bangs to double taps (of course I shoot alot of USPSA also). I say get a Gen 4 9mm, you'll be happy with it and it will allow you to shoot more divisions. :)

9. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Mike, he is using a gen4 19.

10. OMF64

OMF64

Now there you have heard it from the Pro. He is known coast to coast. Don't know how many matches he has shot but must be a large number with his reputation.:faint:

Cisco

11. mike g35

mike g35

I don't believe I said anything any different than anyone else, but of course me being me that really doesn't matter huh? I shoot 2-3 matches a month, USPSA, you know...drawing your gun, moving, shooting at speed, reloads, etc.. I'll be shooting Dayton OH this weekend. What was the last match you shot? What were your scores? What were your scores at your very first match?
    I AM known pretty far and wide, and I am always seen in a positive light, that is except a few hecklers on this forum who cant leave the past in the past.

I'm ready for my next GSSF match, believe it. I shot a match this weekend, oh yeah...then another the weekend before that, oh yeah...then......see the pattern?

8 shots, 6 paper while avoiding no hits, 2 mini poppers....at about 35 feet.....5.82 seconds flat, all ALPHAS.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/Q_U2JDDOvYE[/ame]

12. Fisherman

Fisherman

Being influenced-heavily-by far more experienced heads than my own in this, I'm going to stick with the 9MM. The only thing I truly wish that I'd done different is the first gun. I started with and still am using a G19; I honestly love shooting it and will not give it up. The extra sight radius might have made a difference for a rookie and I probably will, in the near future, add a 17 to what I expect to become a modest collection of Glocks.
    I know that there are Glock critics out there but I find these pistols a pleasure to shoot on the range.
    The ongoing information is much appreciated.

13. cysoto

cysoto Gone Shooting!

You sound awfully proud of having shot Fluffy's Revenge 2 with a hit factor of 6.8729. Shooting Open that score is just shy of 52% of the top national classification, which makes you a "middle of the road" C-class shooter. If I were you, I wouldn't be so proud of such a mediocre performance... :tongueout:

14. mike g35

mike g35

For the first time I have shot open and the first time I have shot my open gun I will take it. I didn't say I was the greatest what I'm saying is I am a shooter just like everyone else and there's no reason that EVERY TIME I post or say something on this forum I get a smart remark posted soon after. I shot the same classifier in 7 flat with my single stack, obviously it can be faster on both accounts but for the first time I shot either gun in competition and being that I have only shot USPSA 6 times or so since January I believe I did rather well. I don't know where everyone gets this I think I am special crap or I am "well known" stuff but its a figment of their own imagination. After two years it keeps going on and on and on, I tried being a nice guy, now I am just plain fed up with it. You would think that such a strong supporter of the sport might be treated differently in a forum dedicated to said sport...guess not.

And that was a classifier, if you shoot the sport you should understand why I wasn't turning and burning being a new shooter. A "C" classification will fit me just fine thanks.

Judge not less ye be judged. Ever heard that???

15. 9mmdude

9mmdude

Good choice, enter the local GSSF match and maybe that 17 will be FREE.

16. Pharaoh

Pharaoh

Coach Danny=Who you calling short?:tongueout:

Pharaoh

I have very small hands and very short fingers.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  17. chris6424

chris6424

It's also a lot cheaper to shoot 9mm. than .45 ACP

18. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

But he has more money invested in one Glock than you and I spent on all our guns combined. :bowdown:

Apparently, IDPA gives extra points for $ invested. :tease:

All teasing aside,

To the OP:

Maybe a modification in hand position is what's needed. I have short stubby yingers and use a grip style that works for only me. It is far from what the Glock experts teach.

At one point I decided maybe I should take their advice, So I worked on it for some time ... and watched as my scores plummeted and plummeted.
    Finally, I realized my yingers are just too short so I went back to what works.

Supplying the majority of the gripping power required with the strong hand then using the pointer yinger (on the same hand) to operate the trigger seems like a conflict of duties to me.

How about, holding the gun in the strong hand and controlling the trigger with the weak hand?

I'm still working on that.

Changing your stance can also affect your grip. Just one more thing to consider. The three most common are Weaver, Chapman, and Isosceles.

Here is a great quote from one of the old masters:

"Over the years I have concluded that certain body and hand positions are helpful to deliver better and quicker hits, but if a student chooses to disregard my teachings it is all right with me, as long as his results are good."

-- Jeff Cooper

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  19. Fisherman

Fisherman

I haven't had but one chance to shoot since I first posted this thread and it wasn't a particularly productive session;no real improvement so conventional wisdom (rules) need to be bent. That said, I'll be at the range again later this week and I plan to begin with a new grip and see what that produces. If nothing comes of that, then I'll continue to experiment. I hadn't considered different stances until now but will go there, as well. When I find a combination that's comfortable then I'll stick with it and find a way to improve. My continuing thanks.

20. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I've been doing this for over 3 years now. Believe me... progress is measured in baby steps. By my results I can see I've come a long way, but as you're going through time it seems like you're not getting better that fast.

You can practice on your grip and dry firing at home. As long as your grip is solid, you shouldn't be having any real troubles in live fire except maybe recoil control, and that is *the* toughest thing to learn. At least for me.

You will see videos where they tell you to have the gun centered in the web of your palm. Well, I'm 6' and 230, not a small guy... and I can't do that with a Glock and get the finger position I want. So I have to bias the center of gun towards my thumb (just a little) so I can get that finger in there properly.

Do not expect immediate/dramatic results. You will have to experiment and find what works for you. It can take a LOT of shooting. I've shot 40,000+_rounds in the last 3 years, and still haven't won a performance gun. Don't think you're gonna be throwing down 60s without a BOAT load of work.