Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Chambered Glock in Holster Question

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by redwhiskeypete, Aug 25, 2014.

1. JDG

Dec 18, 2006
    SW Michigan
    Serpa holsters are dangerous because you may not be able to pull your weapon out of it, if the release button gets packed with snow, or other malfunctions happen to it.
  2. GRR

Dec 29, 2004
    Bessemer, AL
    Slo-mo at 0:33 finger curls into trigger. Looks like he's riding the release and keeps pressure on the holster as his gun clears. Finger pops off top of holster into trigger.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

3. halfmoonclip

Feb 24, 2003
    Had a conversation with what seemed an otherwise rational guy at my favorite bar....he didn't like guns without safeties because he felt the safety would make up for not following Rule 1....
    Our fellow gunnies are sometimes our own worst enemies, but a loaded Glock is only a problem for someone like the guy I was talking to....
  4. A Glock has three safeties; trigger, drop and firing pin. Two months ago I had a serious bicycle accident when wearing my G17 Gen 4 with a Crossbreed IWB. I flew off the bike going about 20 mph and landed hard on the ground and the Glock remained in the holster and did not fire.

The gun will only fire if the trigger is pulled by your finger or if something gets into the trigger area to press the front surface of the trigger rearward which will release the trigger safety.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  5. ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009

You OK?
  6. MooMooBoo

Jul 19, 2014
    Um. Many by many I mean tons of people use blackhawk serpa holsters deployed. Yes it is with the beretta, but I'd trust that serpa with my life if I were to oc
  7. DynaSport

Jul 16, 2014

As a result, an agency I am very familiar with banned Serpa holsters because some had AD's with them while drawing just as described above. Most people don't have this problem, but enough do that agencies and ranges take the safe route and just ban them.
  8. G36_Me

Aug 4, 2009
    Good discussion. An old an ongoing discussion. Never too old. Good contemplation.
  9. The Viking

The Viking

Feb 9, 2011
    Glocks I have ever heard about going off in a holster was when the holster ( one that has become very flimsy with age and should have been discarded) or a cord ( like the one on some 5.11 tactical jackets) got caught in the trigger and caused a discharge.
    Total carelessness on the owners part.
    Serpas are used by the military. They are safe if you don't stick you finger on the trigger while drawing.
  10. The Viking

The Viking

Feb 9, 2011
    [ame=""]Glock Trigger Torture Test - YouTube[/ame]
  11. ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
    "The military uses it" is not exactly a ringing endorsement most of the time;

Kyle Defoor, who knows a thing or two about that very concept, had this to say about the Serpa....

These are his words:

"Instead of an outright ban, I have a solution. There are many military units that have been issued/chosen/been told they are using this absurdly dangerous holster. For you guys here is what I’ve got-
    With the holster empty take a long sharp knife, reach down inside the SERPA and cut/saw the plastic piece that rests inside the trigger guard when the weapon is holstered. You may need to use a set of needle nose pliers to help rip that nub off. This will make the push button a non issue and the tension screw can be used for retention.
    Whoever chose this piece of **** to be issued to anyone- you’re an inexperienced pistol shooter who has no common sense. Hope you got a decent kickback from Blackhawk."

It's funny, I was having this conversation about a year and a half ago with a guy that I know, and he was in the "Serpa's are great holsters, it's a great design, perfectly safe, these stories are fake, those guys weren't trainined right, etc" camp.... A month after that, he was attending a course when one of the students, a guy with a very good background in firearms (USMC Recon vet/LEO/longtime shooter) was doing a timed scenario drill and he shot himself in the leg, just like all the stories...

My friend , who previously (like many here) gave the stories he had heard no credence, became a believer....

While N/D's can happen with any system, the common denominator in a lot of these situations is the combination of a stress-related draw and the Serpa holster...That cannot be ignored, and you have to ask yourself if whatever specific benefit the Serpa has over other holsters is worth the risk of making that one slip.

You don't know what you don't know, and that's fine....but when you do know something, and you just ignore it, for whatever reason, well, that's something different.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  12. Buckeye63

Jul 24, 2004
    East TN
    A Glock without one in the tube makes a awful club......

But its a Precision Self Preservation Firearm when topped off.....
  13. ranger1968

Mar 23, 2009
  14. ksmedman

Nov 24, 2011
    In the middle
    I've never seen an ND from a Serpa, but I have seen one break clean off of a belt. Also know that they can freeze up too. Anything mechanical can if it's wet and cold though. I see how the Serpa ND could happen, but ultimately it's the users fault.

I carry Glocks in kydex, as I have seen an ND from a leather holster. Part got caught in the trigger guard when holstering and pushed the trigger. Good thing was the holster was off at the time, and the guy was putting the gun away in his safe (it was a Hipower).
    I like the idea of that void in the plastic being there no matter what, that way I can reholster without looking, and without worries.
  15. MooMooBoo

Jul 19, 2014
    Why does the military using them as an argument not apply? Because of nd? I'm certain the number of incidences are lower than any other out there.

Or are you talking about lowest bidder? Last I checked these weren't issued
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  16. mtstream

Aug 14, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Glocks can take a 30 foot drop without accidental discharge. A properly maintained Glock is not going to discharge without something inside the trigger guard pulling the trigger to the rear.

The most important thing you can do is to practice with an unloaded pistol until handling it with your index finger outside the trigger guard is second nature.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I hate to agree with MooMooBoo, but Serpa is the most common holster you will see on deployed Soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines and while there may be some unit, somewhere issuing them, as far as I know they are all personally purchased as an alternative to the issued holsters. Never seen of heard of anybody in the military accidentally firing as a result of drawing and never seen or heard of any holster failing to release the gun, other than on the internet.
  18. Z71bill

Feb 19, 2007
    This is a good way to look at many things.

I just don't like the name "Serpa" :upeyes: That was enough to make me buy a Fobus. :rofl: (That I have never used).

Midway had a special blow out sale on the older model Fobus holster a few years ago - it was less than $10 and since I still had some space left in my orphan holster drawer I ordered one.
  19. RoVega

Jul 3, 2014
    Anything can happen if you're not careful.

[ame=""]Drawstrings can cause guns many law enforcement agencies use to fire - YouTube[/ame]
  20. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    Unless extremely worn, modified incorrectly or trigger is pulled Glocks will not fire.
    A worn out or incorrectly fitting holster can also cause them to fire by activating the trigger.
    The Blackhawk holster mentioned was not the problem it was people hitting the trigger when they unholstered Glocks and their finger slid off the holster lock and activated the trigger.
    The thing between your ears and behind your eyes is the number one safety for life.
    Just my opinion!