close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

cellulitis

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by gwalchmai, May 29, 2012.

1. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

My son went tubing last Thursday on the Chattahoochee. While scrambling down the bank to the river he remembers hitting his cheek on a branch, but not breaking the skin. Friday he had a small welt about an inch under his left eye, and his cheek was swollen a little, so I told him to take a couple of Benadryl and ibuprofen and we'd look at it the next day.

Saturday he slept most of the day and when I saw it in the afternoon his left eye was swollen shut and his cheek was red and swollen. Remember the "My Name is Earl" episode when he got beestung? Like that.

We went to the ER and they admitted him. He just got out this afternoon after receiving IV antibiotics all weekend. His cheek took three days to return to normal. They took a culture but nothing grew.

Be careful out there...

2. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Did they test the water?

3. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

In the Hootch? You're not from around here, are you? :supergrin:

It's nasty. Probably no worse than most suburban rivers, though.

4. Mrs. VR

Mrs. VR Sharon, you will be missed.

Holy crud! Glad he's ok.

5. 4Rules

4Rules

Make sure that your son knows that it could come back, and, if it does come back, the next time symptoms might progress much more quickly.

Tell him, if he ever experiences that kind of redness and/or swelling again, to seek medical help without delay.

6. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

MAKE DAMNED SURE HE FINISHES ANY ANTIBIOTICS THAT THEY GAVE HIM.

This is what started MRSA.

Sorry for the crazy font size. Just remembering a thread on here a few weeks ago about a girl that cut her leg while river-rafting, didn't get it treated well enough, and ended up with MRSA, which ended up with flesh-eating bacteria consuming some of her limbs. If I remember right, she had to undergo several amputations.

:shocked:

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Its nickname is the chattadookie for a reason.

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Agree with finishing the antibiotics, but the Georgia girl did not contract MRSA.

It was an Aeromonas species, nothing to do with antibiotic resistance or community acquired or hospital acquired MRSA. Rapidly progressing necrotizing infections can occur with non staph species (Clostridia, Vibrio vulnificus, etc) that are commonly encountered in the wild.

9. Skykings2

Skykings2

I must have missed something , where did the cellulitis diagnosis come from ? I've suffered for over 6 rs with this mess on and off and the last 3 times it decided to use my ear canals as a new spot to drive me crazy. I've had it all over and just endure it for several weeks anymore and try to keep in infections down.
    Your saying the welt was the compromise to the immune system and fever ?
    No fun is it ?

10. rhikdavis

rhikdavis U.S. Veteran

Actually grew up over by Six Flags.... Yeah, I don't think I'd get in that river.....:supergrin:

11. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Yes, that's one of several... :supergrin:

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

The doc at the hospital diagnosed cellulitis. No compromise to the immune system AFAIK, just an infection of the lower skin layers.

Hope you get better soon.

13. ChadSin

ChadSin

I've somehow become a celluitus magnet. If I get a sting by any sort of insect you can guarantee that by the next morning I'll have it. I blame Paris Island since thats where I first got it! :supergrin:

14. *ASH*

*ASH* in hell everyone loves popcorn

the girl was kayaking and stopped to try out a home made zip line , it snapped she fell , gashed her thigh open , several staples to close it , dumbass doctors closed the infection in her leg , then after a few days it was to late to save leg ,foot and hands , she had the flesh eating virus , not mrsa

15. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Cellulitus can be some nasty stuff. Especially if a large area is affected.

16. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Aeromonas is a gram negative bacteria, not a virus. Closing the original laceration was not stupid if done immediately, after proper wound care; this is done in offices/ED's/clinics everywhere. The error was later in not recognizing that the wound became infected and progressed rapidly. However, necrotizing soft tissue infections may progress so quickly that it may not have made much difference.

The loss of limbs that were not involved in the original injury was likely due to sepsis and the need for pressor agents to maintain central perfusion, at the expense of peripheral perfusion (fingers/toes, etc).