close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Cell Phone Questions

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by jboy434, Sep 30, 2008.

1. jboy434

jboy434

Jan 2, 2007
    virginia
    I bought a used phone a while back and i went to activate it and they tell me that I still have to sign a contract. Does this sound right to yall? I thought the whole purpose of signing a contract was so you could get a phone cheap. By the way the company I am trying to get the srevice through is Nextel.

2. blackbmw

blackbmw

Aug 29, 2008
    st. louis
    yep, your not signing a contract for the phone, your signing a contract for the service alloted to the phone itself.

3. dekline

dekline

Sep 30, 2008
  4. pupcuss27

pupcuss27 CLM

May 13, 2007
    INDY, USA
    You should be given a Free Cell Phone, when you sign up with
    a "Contract". They are usually a year or two, also check the minutes policy
    and special features like texting etc.

I've had real good service with AT&T Wireless.
    They have stores around most communities.

Be Safe!

:thumbsup:

5. jboy434

jboy434

Jan 2, 2007
    virginia
    Thanks for yalls help. I have had two two year contracts in the past. I just thought that if I bought a phone straight out that it would keep me from having to sin a contract. If you still have to get a contract when you buy a phone why do they advertise a retail price. Who would pay an extra $400 for a phone when they have to sign a contract. The carrier I have used both the times in the past was ntelos, and I have had no problems with them at all. I just finished up a two year contract with them but my phone that I have now has had it. Plus the phones that i want cost an extra 100-200 bucks with a contract.

6. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

Jan 21, 2007
    Colorado
    Pretty simple here bud, play hardball with them. Call Customer Service and/or goto a storefront and tell them a competitor is willing to give you a phone in order to get your contract and SHOP THEM ALL. You should have no problems getting a new phone with your new contract and I mean NO problem at all. Cell service providers are the ultimate whores in the communications industry, they want all the customers they can get and if that means giving you a phone that costs them $25 to get you into a 2 or 3 year contract they really shouldn't hesitate a second, also the longer the contract you sign the better phone they should give you.

7. dglockster

dglockster

Sep 19, 2001
    Texas
    Look at https://www.consumercellular.com/ and decide if they offer the cell phone service that you want. my wife and I each have a phone and I think, 500 minutes per month, for a total of $49.95 per month for the both of us.

There are different models of phones and plan levels available.

8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    This is typical. It could be due to your credit or just BS to get you to commit to their service for a longer period of time. Don't do it. Nextel sucks go with T-Mobile instead.

9. adroc

adroc

Jul 31, 2008
    Yao Ming City
    "Nextel sucks go with T-Mobile instead."
    wut he said..unless you really need walkie talkie feature, go with any provide other than Nextel/Sprint