close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CCW'ing a nice 1911.

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by okie, Aug 21, 2011.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I know that 99% of the 1911's out there are awesome pistols, but should a person CCW a very nice 1911? If you have to defend your self and shoot someone, your CCW weapon WILL be taken from you for a while, and who knows how it will be treated, for that reason I'm wondering if it would be wise to carry a real nice pistol. Use your high end 1911's at the range and CCW something like a RIA or SA Milspec, something like that. What are your thoughts:dunno::supergrin:

2. ArmoryDoc

ArmoryDoc

May 14, 2006
    Kansas
    That's a very wise consideration Okie. In a shoot, you will lose it. Question is, for how long ? And, there is a very real possibility they will permanently etch an evidence # into the gun. Makes me really appreciate my cheaper Glocks for carry.

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    After a defensive shooting you will lose the weapon for 6-9 months plus.
    When thinking about weapon price, I would rather lose a $450 glock than a $1k+ 1911.
    However, I'd shoot a 1911 better. I'd rather defend my loved ones with a weapon
    I handle better than one that is of a lower cost.

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Well this is making me reconsider my thoughts of buying a "nice" 1911.Since I want to use it for CCW and HD.Maybe I should get a RIA instead of a DW Valor.:faint:

5. M V Dell

M V Dell CLM

Mar 2, 2003
    Nassau Bay, TX
    I've gone back in forth with this question. I carry my Les Baer Concept X. It's been to Teddy Jacobson for a complete TJ Job and is a perfect pistol. If I am caught in a bad situation, I want to be with the best weapon I can. Period. Not concerned with the temporary loss. It will come back home eventually.

6. nolt

nolt DONT PANIC!

Aug 4, 2009
    why do you they we 1911 people like to have more than one!? :whistling:

7. CDW4ME

CDW4ME

Jun 5, 2009
    USA
    The reason I bought a Ed Brown Special Forces is to defend myself, if it's placed into evidence then I'll simply get the Les Baer UTC; if for some reason I have to defend my life again and the Les Baer is gone, the Dan Wesson Valor is ready.

The sole reason I own those expensive pistols is because I preceive them to be the "best" CCW tool I have available to defend the priceless lives of me & my family.

8. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    I'm guilty of this thinking.

I carry a Kimber Pro CDP. I've thought many times about carrying my full custom build from EGW, but I can't stand the thought of losing it. It really can't be replaced. That thing is top quality and lights out.

Having said that, the CDP isn't exactly cheap. Its also been great for me for several years now. Its just no EGW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    I shouldn't have traded my SA loaded in on my RO, then I could have CCW'd the loaded and not worried about it:embarassed:

10. I agree with this, and there is ground between this and what Brian said.
    I wouldn't carry a very expensive gun that really can't be replaced but one that is considered very good (and expensive) can be the one I carry if I am really comfortable with it and how well I shoot it.

Just for some interesting info...
    I lost one this way and it was nearly 18 months before I was able to get it back.
    It was not in perfect shape when I got it back because it was a Blued gun that had not been wiped down or had any oil in that time.
    It was not however beyond a simple fix.

11. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

May 23, 2009
    DFW TX
    had this dicussion with a Texas DPS officer - he told me that once your weapon is confiscated that it will be marked up on the slide or frame (I think he said etched for evidence). This disturbed quite a few people in our class.

Side note - I have a friend who shot at some gang bangers stealing his car from his apartment parking lot. Used the only firearm he had which was a Vietnam Era Govt issued 1911 that he kept since his days in Nam. After he was cleared of the shooting - he went to pick up his firearm and they handed him a firearm that was not his. Went round and round with them showing them serial numbers, pictures, and even brought in an old vhs tape he made to track his firearms for insurance purposes. Oh it was a 1911 but it was a pos, not what was confiscated. Come to find out a desk person (will not mention rank) had taken home. He got it back 2-3 months later with a case number etched into the slide.

He bought a 125.00 shotgun and slugs the next day.

12. MD357

MD357

Jul 13, 2008
    How much is your life worth people? If you can't afford to lose it, you can't afford to carry it. I have the most work/money into my carry and HD 1911s of any in my "collection." It will piss me off to no end if something happens and I can't get it back for awhile..... BUT I have backups and I want the gun that feels like the extension of my hand to defend myself.

13. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    You don't serve the cheap wine first at a dinner party.

I'm fine carrying my Brown. If I lose it or it gets marked up, I'll use another.

14. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    That's another thing. I'm just so used to my Kimber. :dunno:

15. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
    That's a crap sandwich my friend:shocked::faint:

16. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    The only "carry-able" 1911 I have is a Kobra Carry. I'd have no qualms with carrying it and the risks mentioned, but the G30 works better for me with the added bonus of it being easier to replace. :dunno:

17. SouthpawShootr

SouthpawShootr NRA Life Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Chesapeake, Va
    I generally prefer 1911s, but I carry a Glock 23 for the very reasons mentioned in this thread. I'm confident in the G23 to meet my needs for self-defense. I know how evidence property is treated. I will say that I wouldn't be happy if mine came back to me with a case number etched on it. There are other ways to do this. Maybe judges should have case numbers tatooed on their arms so they won't lose track?

I do have a couple of possible carry 1911 (RIA Tactical, RIA Compact, and a Citadel compact), I just haven't seen the need to move from the 23.

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    So, let me get this, people buy an arguably superb self-defense handgun and then afraid to use it for self-defense because they're afraid that the gun may be lost to the prosecution for a while?

I've seen this attitude in the motorcycle world, but I never thought I would see it in the gun world, but I suppose that was naive of me.

The sport bike enthusiasts would buy the latest & greatest fast machines from Italy, modify the hell out of it and then comes track day time, they'd break out a clapped out rice burner of some sort. Their reasoning? "It's too nice to take out and thrash, lest I might crash it."

19. dregotglock

dregotglock CHL Instructor

May 23, 2009
    DFW TX
    With all do respect - my post is 100% correct. If you are wanting to defend leo there is no need. I am strong leo supporter – family and friends. It is what it is – take it for what it is worth, but those who know me can verify that 1 – I do not lie, and 2 – I do not exaggerate facts to fit my purpose. This happened back in 1995 – God rest J.B.’s soul who passed from heart complications a few years later. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    And again with all do respect –
    If we look at recent history of wrong doings few bad apples in DFW LEO we need look no further than http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Dallas-police-officer-arrested-for-th-124731634.html - I am sure this was not a crap sandwich.
    <o:p></o:p>
    Be safe,
    Doc

20. rahrah12

rahrah12

Sep 15, 2008
    Seattle
    If I am ever in a situation where I have to defend myself or my family the last thing I will worry about is what happens to my pistol.

If I am alive I will be thankful.

I currently carry my EB KC...it was expensive but can be replaced. I am very comfortable and confident with it.

I think ultimately people should carry what they are comfortable with...