close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

CCW: One in the chamber or not?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by ArlenGunClub, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

I think your entire post (#337) is pretty darn insightful. The above excerpt in particular hits close to home for me, and I wonder if it might apply to many people who carry a firearm.

Enjoying the hardware first and foremost, and seeing a practical application for it (self defense), makes it pretty natural to embrace concealed carry in one form or another. This could explain why most of us who CC own multiple handguns; many of us own far more than we could ever justify for self defense alone.

This may be the most plausible explanation for a substantial number of gun owners who carry for SD. I suspect there aren't lots of folks who will admit it, but I will.

This doesn't explain why C1 is the generally preferred mode of carry. Maybe its as simple as the firearms trainer explained in an earlier post: guns should be carried in the manner they were designed to be carried.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #341 PhotoFeller, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  2. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

In Florida, the state with the highest number of CC permits, less than 4% of the population have a license to carry. Texas has a higher population but fewer permit holders.

The explanation for this low level of Florida CC license holders would be, based on your statement, that the population has a very, very low incidence of crimes committed against them or against someone close to them. They feel safe.

Your explanation certainly answers part of the puzzle. I've read posts in other threads about attack experiences involving ex-husbands and in-laws, jealous lovers, bar situations, that conditioned the victims to be forever prepared for trouble.

The daily experiences of LEOs would, of course, make them wary. The same is true of military combat veterans.

These situations provide real-life reasons some people are motivated to carry.

#342 PhotoFeller, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  3. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I carry one in the chamber. I want to be able to use one hand, draw the G17, and shoot my attacker.

4. BobbyS

BobbyS
    Expand Collapse
    You Talkin ToMe

Yup! Hindsight is always 20/20........IF you can still see!

5. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

SC-
    From the looks of your low crime statistics in Hartford, you'd have a hard time finding an attacker to use your G17 on. Thats a very good thing for you and fellow residents.

The state of Vermont also has a remarkably low rate for violent crimes:

"Based on this report [City Ratings.Com], the crime rate in Vermont for 2013 is expected to be lower than in 2010 when the state violent crime rate was lower than the national violent crime rate average by 71.88% and the state property crime rate was lower than the national property crime rate average by 2.33%."

You folks are doing something right up there to discourage violent crime. What's your secret? Maybe this is part of the explanation:

"Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont does allow anyone who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind."

Good for Vermont!!

#345 PhotoFeller, Feb 19, 2013
  6. FloorPoor

FloorPoor
    Expand Collapse

I've been following this thread with great interest. The discussion is, for the most part, intelligent. It has caused me to take a look at my personal CC habits. I used to always carry C1, no matter what, because my weapon wont fire unless I make it. But the last two weeks I have been going C3 at work, because the likelihood of actually needing to defend myself there is pretty slim (although I have fired a nutjob who made threats to other employees, which I took seriously because I knew he had weapons in his vehicle, so nothing is a sure thing) I live in a generally low crime area, with the majority of violent crime being either domestic or drug related. I doubt that I will ever need to even draw my EDC because I avoid those types of situations, however, there is always the slight chance. So I'll probably go C3 while working on-site, and C1 in places I think it might be appropriate, and not at all in places prohibited by law.:upeyes:

My difficulty with CC in general is the fact that I can carry where I probably don't need to, but am prohibited from carrying in places that have a high likelihood I will actually need to defend myself. I often travel to jobs out of state, often in states that do not recognize my permit. When I was sent to work on a building in Oakland, CA, for example, and I traveled a few short blocks from the job to get some lunch, I had to be buzzed into a Taco Bell, at 2 in the afternoon:shocked: I felt a little naked. I'm sent to work in rough neighborhoods, in rough cities far too often. Another time I just finished getting gas near a job in a rough area of Omaha, when two guys started fighting in the parking lot, I got the heck out of there, but heard shots fired as I pulled away:wow: The whole logic of the gun grabbers baffles me. Every city I've been to that has strict gun laws and no CC, are also high crime areas.

Anyway, I've strayed from the topic, thanks for keeping this thread intelligent, far too many of them degrade into something less.

#346 FloorPoor, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  7. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior
    Expand Collapse
    Am Yisrael Chai
    CLM

Uncle Mike's ankle holster. ;)

8. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior
    Expand Collapse
    Am Yisrael Chai
    CLM

There was a time, in what I refer to as the by-gone days, where only criminals and Cops carried guns on a regular basis. Simply put, the "average Joe and or Josephine" only needed a gun to go hunting or shooting.

As far as criminals, they were involved with things that precipitated being armed so as to protect their specific criminal interest, albeit nefarious as it were on the whole. As far as Cops, they were (are) The Keepers of the Peace, which necessitated they carrying a gun as a device to ensure their several abilities to maintain their sworn affidavit to keep the peace in their community(ies).

So what about today? Well, today, criminals have learned that armed Police are NOT the ones in which to visit their pursuit of criminality upon. Instead, the criminals have decided to go after those persons that usually would not expect to be a subject or victim of criminality due to these same latter persons not being part of the criminal lifestyle. Simpler to state it as the criminals are trying to find EASY victims.

Go talk to some prison inmates. Personally look them in the eye and ask them what they fear(ed) the most while perpetrating their crimes. If they are honest, practically 100% of the time you will get a response, paraphrased, along this wise or these lines. "I mostly feared my intended victim possibly being armed with a gun or having a weapon that was sufficiently capable of being used against me while he/she defended himself/herself from my intentions."

If you get the same or a similar response, then ask them, as a follow up question, Weren't you more afraid of the Police, or the Judge's sentence, or maybe even someone "snitching" you out?!?

As far as the follow up question, personally speaking, I have had criminals laugh me in the face for asking. Simply put, the only thing a bad guy or criminal is really afraid of are those law abiding citizens that carry concealed weapons with which they can defend themselves.

We do NOT live in Grandpa's or Grandma's G-d fearing world. We live in a world where darkness abounds and those that would thrive in that darkness are only scared of those citizens that are armed to defend themselves and their family members.

#348 Peace Warrior, Feb 20, 2013
  9. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

[sarcasm]
    Has anyone considered carrying ammunition without a firearm? If the situation warrants, you can just manually insert the bullets where they need to be without the firearm at all. That's how they do it in the real tough neighborhoods.
    [/sarcasm]

Exercise your personal choice, and carry, or don't carry any way you like as long as it is legal.

Be safe. Bad things happen in nice places.

10. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

Well said, PW. I disagree with most of your analysis, but thats simply my view versus yours.

From your vantage point, as I understand it, we live in a dark, dangerous place where only armed citizens keep the criminals in check. I judge society based on what I experience day-in and day-out, and its far different from your description. You choose to emphasize the underbelly, and I generally see a positive, peaceful, God fearing society.

Time will tell who has the clearer view.

#350 PhotoFeller, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  11. BobbyS

BobbyS
    Expand Collapse
    You Talkin ToMe

A persons perspective of what is good or bad going on around them may be attributed to where they live. It may also be attributed to ones background too.

12. happyguy

happyguy
    Expand Collapse
    Man, I'm Pretty

I do feel odd when I'm not armed but I think that has a lot more to do with having carried a weapon for 40 years than a fear of being attacked. I feel odd without a cell phone with me anymore too.

I was also the victim of an attempted strong arm robbery in the parking lot of a Federal Courthouse within fifty yards of the security desk. It happened as I was leaving and removing my G36 from my glove box and putting it in my waistband (C1 - in a holster) encouraged the fellows to bother someone else.

So while some places are more secure than others, there are no safe places. Millionaires living in gated communities commit murder or have mental health issues too. And on top of that they have a lot of "stuff" that others want to get without earning it.

If I were living as you say you are I would probably pocket my S&W 442 when I took the dog for a walk and not worry about it. But I have made a commitment to always be armed and able to protect myself and my family.

You just make your choices based on the info you have available. If you make the wrong choice you try to keep a good attitude and resolve to do better next time.

As to why others don't feel the need to be armed? I believe it's just another form of denial. They honestly don't believe anything bad is going to happen to them and they are always completely surprised when it does.

Still prefer C1. :supergrin:

Regards,
    Comrade Happyguy :)

#352 happyguy, Feb 21, 2013
  13. G-34

G-34
    Expand Collapse

how did this thread make an EPIC 15 PAGES??????

:faint::faint::faint::faint::faint::faint:

14. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA
    Expand Collapse

While we may like to think that Vermont's liberal state policy of carrying arms (no permit for any mode) is a prime reason for that state's low crime rates, the real reason has more to do with the demographics. Vermont has a very homogenous population which has extremely low percentages of the demographic groups which have the highest crime rates in the nation (black and hispanic). The people who live there, in large part, can trace their lineage back a number of generations in the state. This leads to a commonality and a "buy-in" to traditions and culture, untainted by external forces.

15. JEEPX

JEEPX
    Expand Collapse

Rotate between a G26, and a CM9.
    Always one in the chamber.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

16. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Police officer carry: One in the chamber, ready to fire

Bad guy carry: One in the chamber, ready to fire.

Anyone else see a pattern here?

Why would anyone legally carrying a pistol, NOT want a round in the chamber, ready to fire?

:dunno:

17. Paul53

Paul53
    Expand Collapse
    Geezer Boomer

OP: Some problems have more than one correct answer. Do what you feel most comfortable with. Don't let others talk you into doing what is uncomfortable FOR YOU.

I was uncomfortable carrying with one in the pipe at first. I installed a Siderlock trigger safety, used it for almost a year. Now I carry with stock trigger and one chambered because I'm comfortable with it.

18. TEXASTACTICAL

TEXASTACTICAL
    Expand Collapse

19. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

:highfive::highfive:
    Great post...thoughtful and well stated. We don't agree on everything, but I sure respect your opinion and the way you present it.

#359 PhotoFeller, Feb 21, 2013
  20. PhotoFeller

PhotoFeller
    Expand Collapse

Amen, brother. Thats what this exercise is all about: understand your responsibility and accountability, consider your options, honestly evaluate your competence with a handgun, determine your self defense needs and make a decision. Whether you decide on C1 or C3, it is strictly YOUR CALL.

If you go through a thoughtful process to decide your mode of carry, no one can ever say you are reckless, foolish, chicken, on an ego trip or anything else commonly associated with questionable CC decision making. Just think it through.

#360 PhotoFeller, Feb 21, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.