Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

CCW License for military

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by bfsmith7, Nov 23, 2011.

  1. bfsmith7


    Nov 15, 2011
    I live in Ohio and plan on getting my license when i return next year from Afghanistan. The publication put out by the Ohio Attorney General ( states:

    "Before you obtain a license to carry a concealed handgun, you will need
    proof of your competency certification. Competency can be established by
    providing one of the following: ...A document that shows the applicant is an active or reserve member of the armed forces, or was honorably discharged within the past six years... who, through the position, acquired experience with handguns or other firearms that was equivalent to the minimum educational requirements."

    My question is, what qualifies as "a document that shows..."? Is a current military ID enough? If not, what else is required? As an infantryman I am sure that my firearms experience is "equivalent to the minimum educational requirements," but how do I prove it?

    (Also, while we're at it, if anyone has any insight into how to obtain the Glock military discount and how much i could expect to pay for a G26 it would be appreciated.)

    Thank you!
  2. eaglefrq

    eaglefrq NRA Member

    Oct 4, 2009
    The Twilight Zone
    In VA an Active Mil ID will work, so I would assume it's the same for OH.

    Do you have anything showing the course of instruction from your schools? Do they make a entry in your service record showing successful completion of your infantry school? If so, get a copy of that page and it should work.

    As far as the mil discount, you are eligible to purchase the "blue label" Glock. You just have to find a dealer in your area that is an authorized Glock LE retailer. I bought mine 2 yrs ago, and I can't remember what I paid, but I remember it was approx. $50-$75 cheaper (I think) than the red label guns.

    This is a store in Columbus is a blue label dealer.

    ETA: Here is a link that might be helpful
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011

  3. You may also present documentation that proves you are an active or reserve member of the U.S. Military, you have been honorably discharged from the U.S. Military within the past 6 years, or you a retired law enforcement officer and have experience handling handguns that is equivalent to the training requirements.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  4. R4lf


    Sep 25, 2011
    Norman, OK
    Weird, the OP posted almost that exact quote. I'm thinking he already knows that.

    For me, I had the option to provide my CATM, not sure your equivalent, score card for M9 training.

  5. John Biltz

    John Biltz

    Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you are talking about getting it after you get out your DD214 should take care of it. Its the go to document after you get out. If you are active your ID.
  6. Lord

    Lord Senior Member

    Jun 28, 2006
    San Antonio, Texas
    While in the Air Force (don't know if it's changed) we had small arms training and were required to show proficiency (for deployment purposes). That was also our chance to get our marksmanship ribbons. THAT is proof of competency, the fact that you passed some type of training as we did. nowadays, it could just mean to the people that process them, the fact that you served within the time frame required, and nothing more.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. glockurai


    Sep 2, 2010
  8. DWARREN123

    DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

    Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    A military document signed by you unit commander showing your qualification with a handgun is what is usually required.
    May be different in your state but seems to work for most. :supergrin:
  9. Dr.Crash


    Nov 3, 2011
    i used my orders to ohio. They also except military ID, or DD214. i got mine in Lorain County