close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CCW in Gun Shops & Ranges

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by volsbear, Jul 7, 2013.

1. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Illinois has banned CCW forever. Ranges and gun shops here generally have rules prohibiting the carrying of firearms, the possession of a loaded firearm (except on the range), and banning use of a holster on the range.

I'm curious what kinds of rules are in place at gun shops and ranges located in states with CCW laws.

Thanks.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

2. my experience up to this point in Wisconsin, has been don't ask, don't tell. no signs prohibiting it where I go. my advise is "move north":cool:

3. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    The issue probably is the fact carrying is not legal in Illinois but I've heard their ranges can also be weird. Here, from what I can tell, most places are fine with any lawful carry. Some prohibit open carry simply because. Some prohibit all carry because people pull out their loaded guns to try a new holster or show it to an employee for whatever reason. If I had a gun store I'd post a sign clarifying my store allows all lawful carry but any loaded guns must remain holstered.

4. G-34

G-34

Oct 20, 2012
    North Dakota
    wasnt illinoguns just forced into a ccw position, shall issue and full preemption just recently by a high level judge of some kind?

so your statment of "illinois has banned ccw forever" makes for a little confusion:dunno:

5. volsbear

volsbear IWannaBeSedated Lifetime Member

Nov 8, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah most people are aware of the impending change. That was sort of the point. I should have been more clear.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

6. janice6

janice6 Silver Member

Apr 4, 2006
    minnesota
    My range allows CCW but keep it concealed.

After I finish I reload it at the line and holster it, so I have something while carrying my other guns to the car to go home.

7. OlliesRevenge

OlliesRevenge

Apr 26, 2012
    WA
    Many ranges here in Washington allow it. Some dont. I was a member of the Marysville rifle club for awhile, they have a "cold range" policy-- they want you to unload everything, including your carry piece, upon entering. As do the WAC gunshows in this area.

I have always thought this was incredibly unwise.

Imagine the tough questions that could be asked-- "So, you people believe citizens should be able to carry firearms in the community, yet you dont allow it at your own facility... please explain"

Sent from my NSA monitored Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2.

8. The shop I worked at in TN had no restrictions on carrying in the shop or at the range. Drawing a handgun from the holster was restricted to armed guard course instruction only... for safety reasons most ranges do.

Yes, I was handed a few loaded firearms in my day. Safety, safety safety! Thank be to the G man, I was trained properly to safety check EVERY GUN!

Yes, people have had ND & AD in gun shops. One of our instructors was accidental shot by a CCW student. Rightfully, he now wears a Kevlar vest. NOT fun... at all, for anyone. Ron White was right. You can't fix stupid.

I personally carry conceal at the range and in a gun shop. I may not even shoot the CCW at the range, but it is there if truly necessary.

9. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    volsbear
    Every LGS I've been in here in ID welcomes CCW and open carry! We don't need nor use stinking ranges here- we have millions of acres of open range!:supergrin:

10. Volsbear....I knew I recognized that name from somewhere. F150 forums lol I didn't know you were from Illannoy too. Tomorrow's the big day....hopefully they don't find some way of screwing things up.

11. Kichigai

Kichigai 気違い Was Mr30s

Apr 13, 2013
    South Florida
    i am curious myself every shop and range down here has a sign at the door saying no loaded weapons or ccw etc. I find this a little strange as one would think that the first place guns would be tolerated is at your LGS. Then you walk inside and every employee is open carrying which seems to be a little bit of a contradiction. My only thought is that they do it as a safety measure so that someone shopping for a new gun doesnt pick up a loaded one by mistake:dunno:

12. Seems to be the way it is in my area. As for range and holsters, a confined indoor range is not the place to practice fast draw or other holster to hand combat moves.

13. In PA, I conceal my carry weapon when at the range or lgs. It's good to have your backup with you when shooting long gun

14. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    There are three gunshops near me. None prohibits CCW. One does have a sign on the door asking carrying customers to refrain from "show and tell" inside the store. Open carry is legal here but virtually nobody does it, so I don't know whether that would be welcome. My club range is in MD and prohibits loaded firearms everywhere except at the firing line. There's essentially no CCW in MD so that issue has never come up.

15. void *

void * Dereference Me!

The range I go to does not allow drawing from a holster.

They have a sign on the door that says that "firearms must be unloaded beyond this point" or something like that.

However, they are not posted with a 30.06 sign and they know what that means (given that they give CHL classes all the time).

So basically, as long as you are carrying concealed and have a CHL, they don't care, they just don't want people drawing from a holster on the range, and they want the firearms people are bringing in to shoot to be unloaded until they're in a lane.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  16. jthrelf

jthrelf

Sep 14, 2012
    PA
    My gun club allows concealed carry, but does not allow open carry or quick-draw from holster. I take that to mean during a hot range, I can remove my carry piece and shoot or unload to load with target ammo - just not repeat the draw/shoot drill.

I don't open carry so I'm not sure how the local indoor ranges/shops feel about it. I would assume there wouldn't be a problem - unless you do something stupid like try to un-holster while not on the range. From what I've seen they were fine with me removing my CCW on the range to shoot.

17. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    In Florida sings have no weigth of law. So most just ignor them & treat it as concealed means concelaed. I carry in ranges & shops all the time. And anywhere else I'm able to by STATE law.
    Most of the time the signs are in place for insurance reasons & to weed out the dumb people that want to draw their loaded firearm at the counter guy to see if it fits a holster....

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    It depends on range,store,etc. Many ranges have "no loaded guns" signs. Also gun stores.

When I have asked its. "We have had too many folks pull out loaded carry gun, stick it in holsters......" (while waveing it around)
    If you keep it holstered they are fine with it. (check first)

You have to realize (like many rules) they are made for the idiots. Some folks do extreamly stupid things so they have to make rules to (attempt) to limit damage.

19. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

Jan 26, 2012
    Las Vegas
    Here in the Vegas Valley, the majority of the LGS/Ranges have no policy. If you're carrying, so be it.

There was one LGS in Henderson (Center Mass Firearms) that had a sign posted that said all CCWs had to be unloaded before entry. That idiot had no idea why he had no customers and is now out of business... bought out by Range 702.

My LGS (Spurlock's) has a posted sign stating that all firearms must be unloaded prior to entry with the exception of CCWs. Add to that free coffee and donuts and there is no wonder all the CCW'ers go there.:whistling:

20. Clay1

Clay1

Dec 7, 2004
    Wisconsin
    This issue has always been near and dear to my heart. Many of us won't spend money at a retail establishment that is posted no CCW weapons. Some of us think that "if they don't want my kind in their place of business, I will take my money somewhere else".

Then we think it is ok to give someone money that sells us a gun that doesn't want us in their business or doesn't trust us with a loaded gun. If the gun store doesn't trust us and they want our money and they deal with us on a regular basis, why should a normal mom or pop store trust us to carry in their store?

The point that I am making is that I would seek out stores or businesses that respect my rights and I would vote with my dollars to support those establishments.

Bluntly I would find an FFL and take a transfer off of gunbroker before I gave a LGS a dime that doesn't allow me to excercise my rights with a firearm.

Just one guys opinion.