close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CCW in Alabama?

Discussion in 'Heart of Dixie Glockers' started by Monkeyleg, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Monkeyleg

Monkeyleg

Jul 27, 2002
    Decatur, AL
    My wife and I will be moving to Alabama from Wisconsin in about three weeks (finally!).

I just want to make sure I get the details about carrying straight, so any replies are much appreciated.

No carry in government buildings, right? FL non-resident permit good until I'm there for 90 days, correct? Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol is okay in Morgan and Madison county (I checked with the sheriffs departments) but what about the rest of the state?

Anything I should be warned about?

Thanks much for any replies.

2. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    The best source of info I have seen is the NRA ILA:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/ALSL.pdf

Remember, the sheriff that issues your Ala permit can put restrictions on it that are then valid statewide. So, if your permit says no carry where alcohol is served, that applies everywhere in the state.

Luckily my permit issuer (Jefferson County) adds no other restrictions besides state law.

The state says no carry near a demonstration, so we don't have many open carry events here (maybe we should, but discretion is the better part of valor).

Good Luck.

3. Cobra6

Cobra6

Jan 20, 2009
    Tennessee Valley
  4. Monkeyleg

Monkeyleg

Jul 27, 2002
    Decatur, AL
    Wisconsin doesn't have reciprocity with AL because Wisconsin and Illinois are the only states to completely prohibit concealed carry.

So it's six months, not 90 days? I'll be renewing my FL permit about the same time I'll be getting my AL permit.

The deputy at the Morgan county sheriffs department said that carry where alcohol is served is not prohibited. The way he was talking, it sounded as though that included bars. I don't drink, so that's no biggie, but the only states I know where you can carry in a bar are Utah and Idaho.

5. BamaAla

BamaAla Roll Tide

Mar 25, 2010
    Alabama
  6. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Heart of Dixie
    Yeah, no state prohibition against carrying in bars. BUT some sheriffs do add that prohibition to the permits they issue.

Actually, state law only says you cannot be "a habitual drunkard." So, you can also drink when carrying, although I don't think that's a good idea generally. One glass of wine with dinner would seem reasonable.

7. Monkeyleg

Monkeyleg

Jul 27, 2002
    Decatur, AL
    Thanks for the hospitality, BamaAla. We'll be moving to the southwestern part of Decatur. Really looking forward to it.

I don't drink, but my wife will have a glass of wine or mixed drink if we go out. Nice to know that I can carry in clubs as well as restaurants.

8. BamaAla

BamaAla Roll Tide

Mar 25, 2010
    Alabama
  9. Brad_G

Brad_G

Feb 10, 2010
    Birmingham, Alabama

Alabama lacks??? Oh my Bamabud.........I'm guessing that you haven't lived very many other places..........then again, I could be wrong. :whistling:

I just know that for the last ten years I've live all over the world and country, and I just can't find anywhere that has what Alabama has to offer. But again, opinions........you know what they're like. :wow::wow:

Monkey, come on over to Alabama Shooters Association (link in my sig), join up, and ask a few questions. There's usually about 10-15 people from Alabama on there daily, so you may find some others close by.

10. BamaAla

BamaAla Roll Tide

Mar 25, 2010
    Alabama
  11. Monkeyleg

Monkeyleg

Jul 27, 2002
    Decatur, AL
    Wow. Sounds like it's not much different than Milwaukee. ;)

The Huntsville/Decatur area seems really nice to us. It has pretty much everything we need, and we're really excited about the move.

I've done jobs in Birmingham, enough to know that there are places in the city where you don't go. It's that way in Milwaukee, though. There's places in Milwaukee I wouldn't go unless I was in an armored vehicle.

As for the politics, the pols up here learned at the knees of the masters in Chicago. I doubt there's any corrupt techniques being used in AL that aren't old hat here. We had a Milwaukee city councilman run for re-election from his jail cell (jailed for campaign "irregularities"). IIRC, he won.

12. ChrisJn

ChrisJn "Old Bill"

Dec 30, 2008
    Baldwin Co, Alabama
    You might want to read this, taken from the bottom of this link:
    http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64

Will Alabama honor a non-resident concealed handgun license in addition to honoring the concealed handgun licenses issued to a resident of one of the states that recognizes and honors Alabama concealed handgun licenses?

Alabama issues concealed handgun licenses only to residents of Alabama, through the Sheriff of their county of residence.

Some states, with whom we have reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses, issue handgun licenses not only to residents of their state but also issue "non-resident" concealed handgun licenses to residents of other states.

At the present time, Act 2001-494 does not on its face specifically address the issue of Alabama’s recognition of a non-resident handgun license issued by a state with which Alabama has reciprocal recognition of concealed handgun licenses. Nor is there a formal Attorney General's Opinion, or Alabama case law on this subject. If an Alabama law enforcement agency requests and receives an official Attorney General's Opinion that opinion will be available to the public on our web site under the menu item titled "AG Opinions."

Until the Legislature, or a Court of competent jurisdiction, or an "official" Attorney General's Opinion addresses this question, our office's "unofficial opinion" is that, at this time, Alabama will honor non-resident concealed handgun licenses from a state which recognizes handgun licenses issued to Alabama residents. Since this is a new area of law and subject to change, we do urge caution. It is suggested that persons whose state of residence does not recognize Alabama concealed handgun licenses periodically check our web site and the web site of the state that issues their non-resident concealed handgun license, as well as being aware of news stories and court cases on the subject.

13. The main difference between Wisconsin and Alabama is the smallmouth fishing is better in Alabama. :supergrin:

If you like to fish for the smallies Pickwick and Wilson are the Smallmouth capital of the South.

Good luck to you.

14. Monkeyleg

Monkeyleg

Jul 27, 2002
    Decatur, AL
    It may sound sacrilegious, but I had enough of fishing when I was a young teen. My older brothers fished, and I cleaned their fish. ;)

It's odd that AL law is so vague on the issue. Sheriff's deputies in Madison and Morgan county told me I'd be good to go with a FL non-resident permit, though. It's not as though I plan on getting made.

15. elrod

elrod

Feb 23, 2008
    Central Alabama
    Whenever you figure Alabama's carry laws out, please let me know! I have been an elected Alabama Constable for a coupla years and still don't know. Most people (including police) agree that OC is legal, but I wouldn't try it without authority. That is one reason I carry a badge. CCW's are easy to get from most County Sheriffs and are money (~$20) well invested!

16. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    regarding the no caryy in a bar restiction, that is not a state prohibition, its is a local one in some counties.

in my county i spoke with the Sheriff about my wife's allergy to alcohol (she cant drink it) and her meeting up with her Avon buyers at local resturants....anyway he lifted the restiction and issued her a NON Restricted permit. the standard permits have restrictions on them but hers has NON Restricted printed across the top. i always got a NON Restricted permit anyway because im L.E.O. and he figures if i pay for one to support my local S.O. when i can carry anyway under LEOSA that i might be a good guy after all.

anway it can be done. if your Sheriff issues (local) restricted permits, see if you can petition him to lift the local restrictions on it.

17. Rohniss

Rohniss

Jan 25, 2008
    Alabama
    20 Dollars? For a Permit? In Alabama?

Dang dude, Jefferson County is 7.50... 10 if you want lamination, and generally issues only non-restricted (unless there's a reason)...

Then again if we went to 20 dollar permit maybe I can get my merit raises back... 20 bucks sounds good now that I think about it...

18. Cobra6

Cobra6

Jan 20, 2009
    Tennessee Valley
    Yep - they are $20 in Madison County and most places up here - they used to be $10, but since they went to the plastic card, they are $20. I just renewed mine last week.

19. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    its $20.00 in Chambers County for a paper permit good for only one year.

20. BamaAla

BamaAla Roll Tide

Mar 25, 2010
    Alabama
    Same in Morgan. Its nice that we get a picture ID card instead of those paper things though.