close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CCW Glock 17

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by splitfinger09, Feb 3, 2013.

Tags:
  1. [​IMG]

I am having trouble concealing my G17. The grip of the gun is printing pretty bad. I plan on getting something smaller in the future, but for now this is all I got. I hear talk about position as in 12 O'clock and so forth. Im not sure I completely understand this. Based on this picture am I carrying in the 5 O'clock position? Any ideas would be apprecited to carry the G17 better concealed. Thanks for the help.

2. Marshall Dillon

Marshall Dillon Make mine a 9mm

Jan 5, 2005
    If you can move it forward to that belt loop / side seam of your pants you could probably make it work. It's up to you whether it's comfortable there or not.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

3. Hamrhed

Hamrhed AKs & Glocks

Feb 9, 2008
    Ky
    I like the carry position you have for your 17, but you will print in that position- especially with a full size Glock. Until you get a smaller model, it may be easier to get more concealment in the appendix position- iow the front side of your hip

4. sglock45

sglock45

Jun 1, 2011
    bloomsburg pa
    I conceal a 17 in an oldfaitfull holster try them there cheap and you can put them together yourself

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. davsco

davsco

Feb 27, 2011
    look a specific concealment holster, maybe at the galco "concealable" to get an idea. basically they cant (rotate it so muzzle is more rearward than in the straight up and down position) the gun so that the butt is pressing against the centerline of your body or slightly aft. downside is the draw is more difficult, but everything is a tradeoff.

6. KI0HO

KI0HO

Jan 14, 2013
    Lake ozarks
    I carry a 21 in a smart carry...it works fine for me.......might give that a try

7. BenjiEDF

BenjiEDF

Jun 15, 2012
    Your holster sucks, get a Kholster/Galco Kingtuck/Crossbreed Supertuck or something like that. Leather backed with a kydex mold. The 17 is a great gun though it might be hard to conceal, the 19 is easier and the 26 is invisible.

8. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    A holster with cant will help and larger fitting clothes or a 2nd layer like a button/zip up. Other than that I'd say go with a G26 or 19.

9. I have heard such good things about the Remora line of holsters so I thought I would try them out. I have never carried a CCW before so I am new to all this. The oldfaithful holster looks pretty good. I might give that one a try. Also like I said im going with a G27 or something similar in the future, but with the prices of anything these days I will be sticking with the G17 for now.

10. Simple to conceal it. Move it up to around 2 o'clock.

You don't want it on the point of your hip, and you don't want it behind your hip where it is now. Instead you want it in front of the point of your hip.

I have a 17 and a 26. Obviously the 26 carries better, but the 17 will work too. I've got nearly identical kydex holsters for them, so they feel pretty much the same on me. Bending down to tie your shoes is when the 17 will print but the 26 won't.

:)

11. caponec2

caponec2

Apr 27, 2007
    i like your reply, so im going to tell you exactly what I did..

remora is a great company.. i tried them out in the past.. however I wouldnt use that as my edc holster... more like a spur of the moment/sweat pants/gym shorts holster.. get it?

order a crossbreed supertuck for your glock 17... and also order a milt sparks versa max II at the same time.

the crossbreed will come in about 6-7 weeks.. you'll enjoy it..

the VMII will come in about 6-7 months.. you will sell every other holster you have

i carry a g21 in my VMII

12. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

May 1, 2004
    Iowa
    Like others have already said, that holster sure isn't helping your cause.

13. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    You got 2 main choices and some out the box options.

1. Try different holsters and carry positions on the belt until you feel comfortable. Crossbreed Holsters give you a 2 week trial period so if you dont like it you can return it and just lose out like $8 in shipping. I use their Supertuck model and its great. There are also other good companies out there but I cant speak too much about their return policy.

2. Switch to a G19 (you mentioned later)

Unorthodox but people have successfully done these

3. Get a grip chop, turning the G17 grip into a G19 grip that will accept G19 mags. Places like Cold Bore Customs and Burwell do them with great reputations.

4. Trade the G17 in for a G19 or sell the G17 to fund the G19 or buy a G19 then sell the G17 so your not without a gun.

:50cal:

14. Thanks for everyones responses. Seems like I need to just experiment with different holsters and find the right one for me. I have thought about selling the G17 to fund the purchase of the G19 or something smaller, but I just dont want to part with it. Its my first handgun and it is an RTF2 model so kinda unique. Again thanks for all the help!

15. Don't sell. Save up money and buy a 26 someday. In the meantime just slide the 17 to 2 o'clock and give that a try :)

16. poikilotrm

poikilotrm

Aug 12, 2010
    You can always do like I do and dress like a rag bag.

17. datnvan

datnvan

Apr 30, 2008
    grip that big i like to sit the bulk of the gun, i.e. slide and receiver, as deep as possible and cant it forward. used to carry a fullsize m&p. now have g19 and g26. get a holster with adjustable cant and height and customize to the way you like. my vote is comptac minotaur. adjustable tension as well. has served me well the past 3 years.

18. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009
    A forward cant will help BIG TIME!

Or just wear an open button down shirt and watch bending forward.

I'm 5'8 and CCW a 17 quite often at 4 o'clock with an open button down covering - yes its not invisible to a trained eye, but 99% of people will not notice.

19. ViennaGambit

ViennaGambit

Dec 19, 2009

How do you sit down or drive carrying that way?