CCW for a Business Professional

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Haasemd, Jun 10, 2012.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

I would consider one of the single stack 9's and a Smartcarry with pleated slacks.

My current carry is a S&W 442 in a Smartcarry but a thin 9 would be better.

Regards,
    Happyguy :)

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Sounds like you'll be wearing about the same thing I wear everyday. I work in a lab but in management so can't rely on the labcoat to cover me up all the time.

My attire has my polo tucked all the time and I've tried just about everything so far, from tuckable holsters with G33 to 1911's. After years of trial and error I find myself with a P380 in my front pocket most of the time if I carry at all.

I wouldn't recommend using anything where you'd have to leave you gun un-attended (briefcase or portfolio type conceal) and I definately wouldn't assume your company is ok with guns on premesis. No large company nowadays is willing to take on the liablilty.

One thing I've had to reluctantly had to live with is the fact that the chances of needing a gun at work is significantly less than needing a job, so I'm not going to risk it unless I have an obvious situation that might change that ratio.

Good luck.

3. ^^^^^^ Good analysis!

4. Stevekozak

Stevekozak Returning video

I have thought a lot about that too. I am not able to carry at work. But that little voice in the back of my head keeps whispering "but if you needed that that ONE time.........you would really need it...."

5. Last time I was working in an office environment, I carried my G26 in a Galco UDC, tucked.

#25 HexHead, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  6. So it seems like the best available option in this situation is to pocket carry. So what gun do you all feel is the best to pocket carry? I would like to carry a 9mm but that is just personal preference. I also have fairly large hands and when I go to shoot my girlfriend's khar p380, I cannot seem to hit anything with it. The trigger pull seems like an eternity and that my trigger finger is about to touch my palm. Does anyone else have this problem or is it just that I need more trigger time with smaller firearms?

7. I would ankle carry before a briefcase carry, unless you want to do both....................

8. Did I miss the part where you can't wear a tuckable holster? I made mine, it's a hybrid of kydex and leather, and they're all over the internet. Crossbreed is awesome, Comp-Tac is another. It's 110 today, and I'm wearing it under slacks and a tucked in button up shirt, with an A-shirt under. You just have to practice your draw with grabbing your shirt out of the way when it's tucked in front of your holster.

This is mine, with my glock 26. I also carry a browning hi-power, as easily. I'm 5'10, 175lbs.

[​IMG]

There's also alot to dressing around your gun. If your pants have a little bit of wiggle room, you'll be fine. You don't want em "suck it in to button em" tight, because your holster adds like 2" to your waistband. Mine tucks well into my love handle, and my shirt has a little stretch room.

I wouldn't bother with pocket carry, when you already have the 19! The 19 is a fine carry gun. Carry away from work for a while and get comfortable.
    [​IMG]

#28 Veedubklown, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  9. WI-Guy

WI-Guy Famly Protector

Another vote for Crossbreed Holsters SuperTuck Delux or similar.

I carry a G23 in Concealment Solutions Black Mamba; tucked in the shirt without the sportscoat and straight IWB with the coat.

10. If your going the hybrid holster route I highly recommend http://Theisholsters.com
    $65 shipped in under two weeks from a one man shop. Tommy is on here as well.
    [​IMG]

11. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

I dress "professionally" every day. Slacks and tucked in business shirt. No tie, no jacket, though. I'm in close proximity to many people every day. And, I'm definitely "under the radar."

G27 in Crossbreed Supertuck with V-clips. Beltman belt. Very, very stealthy.

12. My situation is different in that I don't have to wear a tucked in shirt...but when I do I prefer max. Concealment and use a minatour with the "V" clips.

When I can wear jeans I carry a G17 this way.

http://rvschooner.com

13. I use Smartcarry for when I need to dress up and tuck in my shirt. I can conceal my G19 using it and nobody knows I have it!

14. MAXG

Same situation applies to me. I have a gen 4 19 and I just ordered a Supertuck last night. Can't tell you how it works yet.

MG

15. jpa

jpa
    CLM

I used to work for the other Big 5 firm that no longer exists (Thanks a lot Enron! :p) and was a part-time police officer on the weekends. Company policy said no weapons on company property or on client sites. I carried my G30 in my computer bag every day I worked there. My last day when my whole group got laid off we went for drinks at the Sears tower and I had to badge security and they walked me around the metal detectors. My coworkers were surprised but not really since they saw me on GT every now and then in the office. It was one of those things that could be an issue but wasn't.

16. jpa - sorry to hear that about A.A., although I would have to say they were going down hill before enron, that just brought everything to light (haha only picking). but thank-you for sharing your experience. I am seeing that it seems practically foolish to carry at work but it will be something I have to feel out when I start working there. I guess one of the biggest reasons I feel the need to carry at work is because the city I am working in has had its runs with violence in the past (but what city hasn't?).

17. jpa

jpa
    CLM

I agree that once the AC partners split off things were going downhill and all the controversy was a result of AA trying to aggressively expand their consulting business. The pressure on partners and senior managers to get consulting contracts was so high that they were willing to do almost anything to get that business.

Sorry for the threadjack. Back on topic, I was gonna suggest IWB if you're not comfortable leaving your gun in your bag or you're going to be leaving your bag unattended. I used to lock my bag in my desk drawer but some client sites you may not have that option.

Are you going to be traveling at all?

18. I would assume that I would be. As you can see from my Profile, I am an intern right now but am fairly confident that I will have a full-time offer at the end of the internship. I am working in Risk Assurance/ Advisory (whatever you wish to call it, IT audit), but have a feeling I will be traveling a lot at the beginning of my career.

19. Concealing in the business world has got to be THE SINGLE EASIEST place to do so. Any properly-dressed businessman wears a jacket (yes, even in the office). If you are in a business casual environment, throw a blazer on over jeans. From there, all the way up through suit-and-tie, you can cover any professional occasion and always have a concealed firearm on your belt.

If you simply must insist on walking around the office half-dressed (without a jacket), then use a belly band under a tucked -in shirt.