CCW at work in Florida w/o permit

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Citadel15L, Jul 1, 2013.

1. I'm waiting for my CWP appointment on July 25th. My buddy told me in Florida I can concealed carry while at work without a permit as long as my boss allows it. I tried to find some info online but no luck. My boss said it was fine but he didn't know the law for my situation. I figured some of my buddies on here could help me out. Thanks ahead for any info.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Florida in the cross hairs: Number of women with CCW permits jump Carry Issues Apr 22, 2013
    Florida non-resident CCW permit??? Carry Issues Jul 22, 2012
    Questions re florida permit Florida Glockers Club Aug 24, 2009
    Florida out-of-state permit Lone Star Glockers Aug 16, 2009
    Utah and Florida Non-resident permits, NC people Carolina Glockers Jan 22, 2009

3. FL statue 790.25-(3).(n)
    Read it, understand it.
    Might want to run it by a lawyer but, as I understand it, yes, even open within private property.
    The trick part might be transporting to and from the car if not within private property

4. Thank you. That seems to be pretty clear. It looks like I'm good to go. But you're right about running it by a lawyer, it certainly can't hurt.

5. On second thought, it looks like SS 790.25-(2).(a) does prohibit me from concealed carry. I think I can open carry legally, however, the bossman probably won't go for that.

6. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Well at least you still get to conceal carry. Many of us CHLs would like that opportunity.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

7. What's the difference between a Florida CWP and a Florida CHL?

8. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

Just different acronyms that refer to the same thing which is a legal document that allows you to carry in a concealed fashion. Technically it's a Permit in Florida. CWP CWL CHL CHP it's all the same to me.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

9. Nothing; it's the same thing....

The official title of the permit/document is "Florida Concealed Weapon or Firearm License"......

Why don't you just get one; it will take the guesswork out of some of what you want to do, and it will enable you to carry your pistol on your person, concealed in a wide range of places....

The state makes the license easy to get, and the licenses are good for 7 years.....

10. I am. As I stated in my opening sentence, I have an appointment in 3 weeks.

11. Kichigai

Kichigai 気違い Was Mr30s

i would just wait till you get your license

12. I agree waiting for the permit might be the better road with this one.

13. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

In Florida, it's a license... A Concealed Carry Weapon license. It's not for a handgun. It's not for a pistol. It's for a weapon. Any weapon.

As for carrying at on private property... someone ELSE'S property... that's a negatory according to Gutmacher's book. In his Chart of Exemptions Under F.S. 790.25, it says (all caps emphasis added): The statutory list of places of exceptions from F.S. 790.25(3), which would allow you to carry without a license open or concealed...

"A person at his OWN home or place of business."

So, I do not believe you can be granted permission to carry by your boss. I certainly wouldn't chance it.

#12 racer88, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013