close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CCleaner lockup on wipe free space

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jun 13, 2009.

1. pascal

pascal

Jan 30, 2006
    Howdy,
    Using latest version of CCleaner on XP Home SP3. Ran it with wipe free space and it said it was at 100% done but the progress bar did not show it. Waited a while and it seemed locked up. Any ideas, besides not using that feature?
    pascal

2. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    I've never noticed any issues with that feature...however, it's fairly useless. If you are really concerned about wiping free space, use something like BCWipe from http://www.jetico.com/.

3. pascal

pascal

Jan 30, 2006
    Howdy grokdesigns,
    Thanks for the reply and recommendation. Will try it. Take care.
    pascal

4. DOA33

DOA33 Non-Registered

Jan 22, 2008
    burg, OH
    whats the point of wiping the free space?

5. pascal

pascal

Jan 30, 2006
    Hello DOA33,
    People correct me if I'm wrong, but the disk management system leaves open space when a file is deleted. The actual data is not removed it just noted for availability. This has the potential to leave personal information on a disk drive that can be accessed by hacker and such. Wiping, writes random meaningless data to those areas thus destroying the data that was last left there and leaves it available. There are other places on the disk that has similar issues of leaving potentially personal data easily available. Wipe disk destroys the data since its not in use anyway. I think I got it right.
    pascal

6. I use an inexpensive product called East-Tec Eraser. Works fast and no issues.

7. pascal

pascal

Jan 30, 2006
    Thanks Blitz,
    I am trying the BCWipe now. To wipe if fully will take 23 hours!!
    pascal

8. g29andy

g29andy CLM

Jan 28, 2001
    The wipe free space option in CCleaner takes a long time.

9. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

Dec 23, 2004
    Chandler, AZ
    Yep, exactly right. Most operating systems work this way, they mark the space as available and use it if needed. This means data could stay on the drive for a long time depending on the usage habits of the user.

23 hours for a secure wipe on a large hard drive isn't bad. Depending on paranoia level, you could reduce the number of passes to 2 or 3.

10. USMC_G19

USMC_G19 Ham Salad

Dec 13, 2005
    Northern VA
    on xp you can simple run cipher.exe /w:driveletter:
    to write over freespace

11. pascal

pascal

Jan 30, 2006
    Hey USMC_G19,
    Can't find cipher.exe on my istall of XP Home SP3. Thanks for your response.
    pascal