close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

CC accidental mag release when sitting

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by biggs1199, Oct 30, 2013.

1. biggs1199

biggs1199

Sep 27, 2013
    I have a gen4 glock 30 and an IWB crossbreed holster. I carried it for the first time tonight and after getting out of my truck I noticed that the mag was loose. So I started messing around with what could have happened. I noticed that whenever I sit down the gun pushes toward my body and the magazine release button is hit. I carry at the five o'clock position and I found that if I push the handle/grip of the gun toward my body with any amount of force it pretty consistently hits the magazine release button. I absolutely love this gun but if this is a gen4 issue, especially one that's not fixable, then it's a deal breaker for me and I'm looking for a new gun or maybe a new holster.

Does anybody else have this problem?
    How do I stop this from happening?
    Are there smaller magazine release buttons or at least shallower ones?

2. ACM73

ACM73

Oct 15, 2012
    I've never had this issue with my gen 4 glocks and crossbreed holsters. Are you overweight? Maybe that would cause the problem. I'm wearing a glock 19 in a crossbreed right now and I can't get the mag to accidentally release even when trying to make it happen. I'm curious to hear more on this, whether or not this is common, because I've never heard of it happening before.

3. biggs1199

biggs1199

Sep 27, 2013
    What position do you carry your CCW in?

No I'm not overweight. I'm actually pretty skinny but I work out so I'm not all skin and bones.

Also, when looking at the holster there is a little indentation where the magazine release is being pushed into the holster leather. I may just take a dremel and shave that part off. But it's still disturbing knowing that if I truly need my gun I may only have one shot... the one in the pipe.

4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    If this happens with Gen 4s it could happen with ANY gun. The Gen 4 mag release is not THAT large or weak. I would try a different holster first.

This is one reason you carry a spare mag. Just in case.

5. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

Feb 15, 2006
    Las Vegas
    Don't dremel it, heat it up with a hair dryer and push it a bit.

You can do it this way and not permanently alter the holster.

6. biggs1199

biggs1199

Sep 27, 2013
    I mean dremel the magazine release. If I mess up they are not expensive to replace.

7. biggs1199

biggs1199

Sep 27, 2013
    Yay, problem fixed. I filed down the magazine release to be almost flush with the frame. It is still easy to operate and impossible for it to accidentally release the magazine while in the holster. I've tried sitting with it on and intentionally trying to get it to release but it stays in there. I can't for the life of me get the thing to accidentally release. It works perfectly now.

8. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    I had it happen to my G23 once. Get home and the mag isn't seated. Nothing like having essentially a 1 shot self defense pistol. :wow:

Certainly a strong argument for the HK / Walther style mag release.

Glad you got it fixed.

9. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    I saw a motorcycle cop one afternoon with a mag about to fall from his gun and I couldn't get his attention so I called 911 and gave his last location hoping they could call him and give him heads up.

10. colin1230

colin1230

Jul 2, 2012
    Kansas City
    Can I assume your CB does not have the Combat Cut?

11. I had this happen once with a leather holster, which I still have. I carry at the 3:00 'o clock position so it must have occurred in one of my vehicles. Big surprise when I got home and removed my gun to find the magazine loose in its well. Needless to say, I rarely ever use leather any more for Glocks.

12. I agree. It is not so much a gun issue, but rather a holster issue.

The other end of the spectrum is going for a mag release under stress and not being able to quickly and smoothly get that mag out.

All pluses and minuses to balance out for your needs.

I've heard of guys with those hybrid holsters using a knife to carve out an indent in the leather for the mag release so the holster doesn't hit it.

13. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

Jul 19, 2004
    Oregon
    I've seen that happen with numerous handguns and holsters, I've even seen that happen with a 1911 and a Mil. holster. I even remember drawing my Glock 17 a few times and my thumb hitting the mag release dropping my mag. Others thought it was funny and I corrected that incident very quickly.

It never seems to happen when you use a real ridged holster though

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  14. red2rider

red2rider

Sep 3, 2013
    My OWB Fobus holster does that with my G35 gen3 which has the ext mag release. Did it 1 time at the pistol range before practice night. But it only did it when I applied pressure on the gun in toward my body. When I got home that night I checked with my G4 27 as that's what I CC with that holster. Good to go thank goodness. Been using the holster for almost 6mo.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    That isn't a good idea. The factory magazine release is pretty low and making it lower can make it very hard to release in an emergency. You depend on the gun to save your life, you only have to depend on the holster to carry the gun. It's a lot safer to modify the holster.

16. Clusterfrack

Clusterfrack

Apr 26, 2012
    Pacific NW
    I agree with Bren. This is a holster issue. If it were mine, I would toss the holster and get a better one ASAP.