close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Castle nut on backwards, does is matter? pics

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by catalyst686, Jan 20, 2011.

1. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

I was just viewing some AR pics and noticed I had put the castle nut on backwards. I went to fix it, tried taking it off, and noticed one of the threads on the buffer tube was chipped, making it tough to take the nut off. I'm afraid if I try to force it off to turn it around more damage might occur. So my question is, does it matter which way the castle nut is installed? It seems like it serves the same purpose either way.
    [​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

It depends on what wrench you use to tighten it. It is a lot easier to tighten with it on the right way. Also, if you plan on staking it on, you can't like that. You need to stake the plate into the beveled cutout to properly stake it in place.

ETA
    The nut is harder than the metal of the tube. Use a lil 3in1 oil on the threads where the damage is, slowly unscrew it to where it binds, back off, then unscrew again, lil father. Keep it up until it passes the damage. The nut should act like a die and re-thread the tube if the damage is not too bad.

#2 ravenkeeper98, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  3. Bushflyr

Bushflyr
    Expand Collapse
    ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ
    Millennium Member

Lube it up and spin it off. The steel nut will straighten those threads right up.

4. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

Wow, I was just pulling up pages to buy some new parts. I did exactly what you said, lubed it up, slowly loosened it off and took it back a little when it started to get tight, took a few tries but this worked like a charm! I owe you one! Thanks!

5. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

Thanks guys!!!!

6. TedG

TedG
    Expand Collapse
    Infidel USA

On another forum, I read that when Baer introduced their AR platform, the publicity pics showed an AR with the nut on backwards. According to the post, Baer tried to pass it off saying some SWAT team requested it.

Requested it. Yeah, sure they did. :rofl:

7. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor

lol, I bet the wrench kept slipping out of those staking notches, those guys at Baer, "jeese these nuts are tough to tighten"

To the OP, glad it all worked out for ya. Sometimes it is hard to think of something backwards before you put it together.

#7 ravenkeeper98, Jan 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  8. MisterPX

MisterPX
    Expand Collapse

If you don't stake, then it really doesn't matter. Loctite is bidirectional ;)

9. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

The wrench would get stuck in the notches (the teeth of the wrench chipped the threads because I was trying to jam it out). Every time I would tighten it the buffer tube would spin with it, so then I was spinning that back into place while trying to crank the wrench to tighten it. Thankfully I didn't ruin anything!

10. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn
    Expand Collapse
    Paramagician

I had a doozie of a time with those little take down pin detents and springs. we all have our problems with AR's lol.

11. jdodd

jdodd
    Expand Collapse

Not going to lie...the first thing I thought of when I read the title was "I didn't know we had any les baer techs on the boards." :tongueout:

-J

12. Spiffums

Spiffums
    Expand Collapse
    I.C.P.

Yeah Man just leave it that way......... your shiznat is custom now.........:wow:

13. glock21xxx

glock21xxx
    Expand Collapse

I had the same problem the first time, bent one end of a spring - it was ugly :crying: